Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got started building the shelving for my PM this week. The shelves are built from 3/4 MDO plywood. The first thing I did was line the walls with 1/8 tempered hardboard.
My plan is to build the shelves for the drivers side in three sections so they can be easily removed if need be. This side will be for tool storage. I built the shelves to accommodate Festool cases. My friends over on the Festool forums had some great ideas for build outs.
Im a long way from done but this is what I have so far.

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very nice craftsmanship indeed. I need to finish my shelves and seeing others inspires me to get moving. FYI- I made some similar slots for my parts boxes and I gave them only a 4 degree tilt and they tend to stay in place. I have a small lip in case they do move their way out but rarely do they migrate even to the lip. I think 6-8 degrees is plenty for a flat shelf. Keep the pics coming.

·
Registered
106 Posts
How did you attach the shelves to the side walls? Are the panels attached with self tapping screws to the ribs (sorry for possible incorrect terminology, I'm new to vans)?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Indydog, the panels are attatched to the the ribs with self tapping screws. The shelves are attached the same way with L brackets.

I thought I would post an update and show off my new floor I installed over the weekend.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Another section in today. Im getting there! Takes a lot of time doing it just a couple hours after work when I can. I really need to just take a day or two and complete it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are snap together tiles. Here is the link to what I used:
www.garageflooringinc.com/tiles/diamond-grid-loc-tiles.html

They are very durable and so far they are holding up well back there.

They do not slide around at all. They sit on top of 3/4 plywood. That aluminium angle is screwed threw the tiles and into the ply. Even without that angle piece they didn't move around. All my tile cuts along the perimeter were within a 1/2", so not really anywhere for them to go.

·
Registered
192 Posts
They are snap together tiles. Here is the link to what I used:
www.garageflooringinc.com/tiles/diamond-grid-loc-tiles.html

They are very durable and so far they are holding up well back there.

They do not slide around at all. They sit on top of 3/4 plywood. That aluminium angle is screwed threw the tiles and into the ply. Even without that angle piece they didn't move around. All my tile cuts along the perimeter were within a 1/2", so not really anywhere for them to go.
Thanks. They have those tiles on sale at Costco, though not in your nice colors.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Indydog, the panels are attatched to the the ribs with self tapping screws. The shelves are attached the same way with L brackets.
Thanks dryvah, looks good! Did you consider through bolting some areas as opposed to self tappers? Just wondering how screws will hold up over the long haul.

Regarding the tiles, what was the reason for their install instead of just a plywood floor?

Sorry for the questions, just trying to get others thought processes prior to outfitting mine when it comes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indy, I don't mind the questions at all. I'm happy other members are interested in my build!

I used #10 screws, they are pretty beefy. I think they hold up. Although, I do like the idea of through bolting them in place. Might look into doing this somehow.

The tiles sit on top of a 3/4 birch plywood floor. The plywood floor was down for almost a year on its on. It was starting to get pretty beat up and I thought the tiles would look nice. Thats the only reason, looks nice!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Indy, I don't mind the questions at all. I'm happy other members are interested in my build!

I used #10 screws, they are pretty beefy. I think they hold up. Although, I do like the idea of through bolting them in place. Might look into doing this somehow.

The tiles sit on top of a 3/4 birch plywood floor. The plywood floor was down for almost a year on its on. It was starting to get pretty beat up and I thought the tiles would look nice. Thats the only reason, looks nice!
Kip on Trucking posted in the GD how he through bolted some dimensional lumber as "nailers" or ribs for his continuous wall. Looked interesting, not sure how he intends to fasten the wall but the ribs looked really solid.

#10s are probably good too and much easier by far. Let us know how it does down the road.

·
Registered
106 Posts
dryvah...how are the self tappers holding up?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Holding up just fine. I've even removed all the shelves recently and reinstalled them. Altering my design a bit.
I'll get some more build pictures up soon. I've been working on building a partition with a sliding pocket door.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Holding up just fine. I've even removed all the shelves recently and reinstalled them. Altering my design a bit.
I'll get some more build pictures up soon. I've been working on building a partition with a sliding pocket door.
Oh yeah baby, want to see that, trying to decide between a fixed partition and an operating one. You're going to have to set that back a bit for the seats right?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, its going to be set back a bit from the seats a bit. By doing so its going to go beyond the side door. This has been my biggest dilemma designing the partition but I think I have it down now. I started making templates for it last weekend and havent touched it since. Hoping to get it done this week.

The reason Im going with an operating partition is because I like being able to transport 12' stock in the van without have to wrestle it up onto the racks. I also really like have the ability to get into the cargo space from the cab. If I'm building it, why not build it with a door.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like what you did with the hand grab cut outs for your systainers. I'm stealing that ;). I too have a few tanos boxes for my gear.

Vans looking good. One of these days I'll get my pictures up. I figure it will be allot easier when I just update my mods rather than starting my build.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, its going to be set back a bit from the seats a bit. By doing so its going to go beyond the side door. This has been my biggest dilemma designing the partition but I think I have it down now. I started making templates for it last weekend and havent touched it since. Hoping to get it done this week.

The reason Im going with an operating partition is because I like being able to transport 12' stock in the van without have to wrestle it up onto the racks. I also really like have the ability to get into the cargo space from the cab. If I'm building it, why not build it with a door.
What was the reasoning for you to do a partition in the first place? I'm still not sure which way I'll go, although driving around with a noisy cargo area could make me nuts, especially when talking to a client on the phone (bluetooth of course!).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts