Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

Just wanted to post a pic of my newly done Colorado Camper Van Conversion. I worked on this with Derek and he now has a mold for the promasters. This is the first of it's kind from Derek. I know that Sportsmobile is offering a pop top also, but I don't know if they have done one yet? CCV's pop tops are (in my opinion) superior as they pop up much taller than Sportsmobiles, and come with actuators that are remote control to pop the top, also awesome LED lighting and beding, all comes standard. Also the bed is SUPER wide. I went with this set up because I am 6'6. I couldn't stand up in the high roof even, so I might as well save the money, get the low roof and pop the top. Popped up it is about 9.5 ft inside. About 48'' of sit up room up top. My bed is 6'8 inside but it can be made as short or as long as you would like. More pics to come. If anyone is interested to know more, please hit me up at [email protected]

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Very nice.

Can you post picture of van with top in down position? Also, how tall is van with top down, both inside and out? And finally, tires seem larger than stock. Is that right, and if so, what size. Was suspension lifted for tire clearance? Just want to get idea if van is garageable with top down if using stock tires.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Below is of the top down and also the upstairs. More photos to come. The slider window is a CR Laurence. The down stairs is also very nicely paneled with LED lighting. I will take a picture of that soon also. Any more questions, please just ask.

The rims are stock with plasti-dip (works great!)- the tires are Hankooks snow tires, studded. No problems at all in the snow.

Thanks

Stephen

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Below is of the top down and also the upstairs. More photos to come. The slider window is a CR Laurence. The down stairs is also very nicely paneled with LED lighting. I will take a picture of that soon also. Any more questions, please just ask.

The rims are stock with plasti-dip (works great!)- the tires are Hankooks snow tires, studded. No problems at all in the snow.

Thanks

Stephen
This set up looks comfy. What's the dimensions of the window? This looks like the perfect size I would like to install. Thanks/AHOD.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,837 Posts
If I had known the pop top was going to be available so soon, I would have had more difficulty choosing which PM to buy. I have fond memories of our pop top Vanagon--when it ran, that is.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At 6'6" tall can you describe your behind the wheel comfort in the PM? Several tall drivers including myself at 6'4" walked away from the PM after experiencing poor comfort on test drives.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At 6'6" tall can you describe your behind the wheel comfort in the PM? Several tall drivers including myself at 6'4" walked away from the PM after experiencing poor comfort on test drives.
I am very comfortable in the promaster. The space is excellent, in fact, I can barely reach the pedals when the seat is all the way back. What I think you may be referring to is the head space, and being able to see out the windshield. I could see this being something to consider, but I have gotten very use to it, and never even think about that any more... I hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not great pictures, but these are a couple of the interior...

I have 4 led lights in the back, and 6 up top in the loft. The 2 front ones work as light when the top is down for the front of the cargo area. There are 3 switches just above the sliding back door. One for the rear lights, one for the lights up top, and one switch that will raise the top (but 99% of the time, you just use the remote).

The seat is form an 06' sprinter that is totally removable via the plates that were installed. I also have a small removable kitchen that I use that is not in the photo, and a Yeti cooler for now.

And for flooring I choose to buy some heavy duty industrial grade rubber mats, and cut them to fit perfectly in the promaster. They are great as they insulate well, and are easily removable to wash, then throw them back in the van. Also, the passenger seat swivels. I think thats it for now!?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
How much did the pop top add to the overall height? I what to always get mine in the garage. Todd

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not great pictures, but these are a couple of the interior...

I have 4 led lights in the back, and 6 up top in the loft. The 2 front ones work as light when the top is down for the front of the cargo area. There are 3 switches just above the sliding back door. One for the rear lights, one for the lights up top, and one switch that will raise the top (but 99% of the time, you just use the remote).

The seat is form an 06' sprinter that is totally removable via the plates that were installed. I also have a small removable kitchen that I use that is not in the photo, and a Yeti cooler for now.

And for flooring I choose to buy some heavy duty industrial grade rubber mats, and cut them to fit perfectly in the promaster. They are great as they insulate well, and are easily removable to wash, then throw them back in the van. Also, the passenger seat swivels. I think thats it for now!?

Thanks
Do you have a CR Lawrence part number for the slider window? Nobody here (in Houston) has a clue what I am describing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Allhandsondeck - I'm pretty certain the window adventurevan has installed is this one:

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-26054-vw8369-universal-non-contoured-horizontal-sliding-window-37-1-4-x-16-3-4-with-2-1-4-trim-ring.html

One caveat - the width of the trim ring will depend on how you decide to install the window (flush against the metal wall of the van, or inset to a wall panel). The link above is for a 2 1/4 inch trim ring.

I looked into getting a similar window, but larger, and have been told to use caution since the walls of the Promaster do have a slight curve. The size above should be no problem. A couple other people on here have used these windows too. This guy is around here somewhere, I think, and did a great job:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Vehicles/PMRV/Windows/Windows.htm

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice! I'm glad pop tops for the Promaster are hitting the market finally...

"howz the weather up there???" :)

----I'm also at 6'6"- thanks for the info!

--- Question for anyone: Why is the pop top only for the low roof models??? Tall roof not strong enough???

thanks,

Jimmy

·
Registered
338 Posts
Allhandsondeck - I'm pretty certain the window adventurevan has installed is this one:

http://www.dkhardware.com/product-26054-vw8369-universal-non-contoured-horizontal-sliding-window-37-1-4-x-16-3-4-with-2-1-4-trim-ring.html

One caveat - the width of the trim ring will depend on how you decide to install the window (flush against the metal wall of the van, or inset to a wall panel). The link above is for a 2 1/4 inch trim ring.

I looked into getting a similar window, but larger, and have been told to use caution since the walls of the Promaster do have a slight curve. The size above should be no problem. A couple other people on here have used these windows too. This guy is around here somewhere, I think, and did a great job:

http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Vehicles/PMRV/Windows/Windows.htm
Bam!! Your the man Auser! This is exactly what I have been looking for. Thanks for your efforts!:laugh:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts