Hits
Decent ride
Like the Amber dash display color
Driving position needs getting used to..but good after awhile
Cargo doors certainly open wide enough

Misses
The high driving position takes a lot of time to get used to..climbing up
Awful in the snow…even with snow tires
Useless cup holders.. bending over and down for a hot cup of coffee ?
Only 1 cigarette lighter outlet
FM radio not very sensitive, very static
Factory partition leaves not much room for seat adjustment
Basic seats have no adjustments..
Speed control stalk too long.. I frequently hit it during turn signals…speed control needs to be steering wheel mounted buttons
Window wash fluid fill port is a joke…I cant believe the factory cant come up with better.
After 1500 miles, a fault in the rear camera system
Door latch holders work loose frequently..I’ll need to put some Loctite on them 10mm nuts
No organizing trays for the overhead compartment..encourages stuff to be just thrown in..

my 2 cents.....just seems like some very basic engineering was left out...and some quality control

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
"No organizing trays for the overhead compartment..encourages stuff to be just thrown in.."

I have to laugh at that one. The other guys nearly wet themselves when they see how much room we've got up there. Like any other storage area, make your own organizers. The ones that fit your stuff wouldn't fit mine, etc.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have to disagree with your opinion of the snow performance. It is head and shoulders better than my GMC and Ford vans I previously owned. I mean it's not even close! Even with stock tires it is better than those were with snow tires. I guess it depends on what your comparing it to. I read a post where a guy was comparing it to his all wheel drive Audi...of course it won't match that.

And you have a cigarette lighter? Mine doesn't, I didn't even think about that until I read that.

I agree with your washer fluid statement, it it rediculous. I have to carry a special filler tube just for that.

My Radio's FM performance is really good, the AM isn't so hot but I rarely listen to AM anymore. Usually SirusXM.

If you have bolts coming loose take it back! I haven't had anything come loose and I have 80K miles on mine.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I was pleasantly surprised how well my 159 ext goes in the snow compared to my previous vans ( 6 ) and box trucks ( 3 )
I'm happy

I had a box truck that would not move in the lightest of snowfalls

·
Registered
99 Posts
The OP might be driving his van with a fair amount of weight. The PM is good in snow, but my loaded E-350 was better than my loaded Promaster in the snow. The added weight in the Promaster works against it being front wheel drive.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
some feedback... I use cigarette lighters for my GPS, etc...and some other junk that is old fashioned 12vdc...

my old GMC savannah van had 2 lighter outlets...perfect

snow performance...I still say it stinks ! The marketing video touting excellent performace..lol...
my van is my company issued fleet truck,,fully loaded and weighted up,even with snow tires..,I seems silly to "pull" lots of weight instead of pushing it,,,
My old van was 4WD and even with lots of miles and totally worn out was 500% better even with regular tires..

I guess the lousy cup holders are to discourage usage ..lol...and encourage safe driving...

my FM performance is still spotty...oh well....

any other opinions would be welcome

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
I have to agree with you on the cup holders. I would have to completely disengage from the act of driving to use one. New ones were my first mod.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Like I said earlier, if your gonna compare it to a AWD or 4WD then it doesn't perform as well. In my job I have 500--600 lbs of tools on my way to work, get to the shop and load up around 3000 lbs of material and head to work where I unload and then load all the trash from the job and head back to the shop and unload then head home. Everyday...it's lightly loaded then fully loaded then lightly loaded. I think in this situation the fwd works very well as it gives the best compromise of unloaded vs loaded traction, low load floor height, and I'm not paying for extra fuel to run an AWD system that I don't need 90% of the time. I get a full 7 mpg more than my old 2WD Savana...with almost twice the space! I understand if you are fully loaded all the time it is probably completely different.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Once you have had 4WD then you are spoiled for life with any 2WD vehicle in marginal traction situations. My F150 4WD with a pop-up camper went far and deep into the desert without a concern. Often surprised the jeep owners who thought they were so special. When I bought the PM I understood it was not going to do that. You may have to go back to a 4WD to ever be happy. It is not a fault of the van.

·
Registered
371 Posts
FM Performance

I was not happy with the FM reception either. And I expected to get worse reception when I replaced the OEM antenna with a shorter, aftermarket one. I did receive less stations but the stations I did get seemed less intermittent.

·
Registered
371 Posts
"Speed control stalk too long.. I frequently hit it during turn signals…speed control needs to be steering wheel mounted buttons"

I wish they took the steering wheel with speed and radio controls from my old Dodge Grand Caravan and put them on the Promaster. They could also drop the radio from that van into this one. That would solve lots little things I find annoying with my van.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts