Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Safari Condo Promaster MX and drove it home from Quebec City, Quebec. Thought some might be interested since they are rare in the US with only one other in IL and two on order for delivery in 2016 and 2017. I delivered the diesel Promaster to Safari Condo in late Sep and it took them about 6 weeks to complete the van. It took me two long days to drive the 1350 miles back from Canada to Alabama. Below is a pic taken at the Alabama welcome center next to the Saturn I rocket.

Several more pics in my driveway.

On the way back I stopped at a truck stop and had the van weighed. With a full tank of diesel and me not in the driver seat, the weight was exactly 7000lbs. The conversion added about 1800 lbs to the van. I averaged 24.5mpg on the trip home after averaging 27mpg driving the empty van to Canada.
I am looking forward to making use of this new camper.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Beautiful, you will really enjoy that one. I love their work, it looks to be some of the very best on the market.
Did you start with a window van or a cargo van?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started with a cargo van that had factory rear door glass. Safari Condo added two Lippert windows on each side of the van.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I feel the daytime seating is a great plus in that layout. Seat belts so 4 can travel is a nice option. It is a very interesting way to do the bed and counter too. I like it.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Very cool. We were quite tempted by their Promaster Flex layout, with the bed lift to provide cargo access.

If Safari Condo was in Vancouver, BC, instead of Quebec, it would have been a very good chance of us going with them.

Gotta ask... what was the upfitters charge, having provided a base vehicle for them to work on?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
In Canada Safari Condo is a dealer so they sell completed vans. They cannot sell these non US spec vans in the US, so American customers must supply an empty van to them for conversion. The cost of conversion is about half of their quoted price for a complete van. BTW their current lead time is 12+ months. So an order placed in Dec 2015 may not be ready for pickup until approximately Jan 2017. I understand they build about 100+ vehicles per year. Mine was 1682 since they began production in 1998.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts