Ram Promaster Forum banner

My new recpro water tank

4126 Views 49 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  dog_house
I finally received my recpro water tank today after a 3 month wait, I planned my build around this 54 gallon tank as it is low and just fits between the wheel wells with enough room to spare for 1/2" plywood on both sides.
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Rectangle
unfortunately it is terribly distorted and will not sit flush on the floor.
Wood Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior Composite material
Wood Publication Rectangle Gas Tints and shades
Not the quality that I expected! At this point my options are to live with it or try and get recpro to produce a replacement and hope that the second tank will be better...and wait 3 to 5 months for it to show up.
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have a 1 3/4" wide strip of 1/2" marine plywood that appears to fit perfectly on the sides, cut in half it will be just long enough to do the job.
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain
Office supplies Wood Writing instrument accessory Writing implement Publication

I am not sure if that would be better or worse than foam board.

· Registered
2018, 3500 Extended
148 Posts
Honestly, I think you're worried about nothing. You're going to anchor it down somehow, probably metal straps would be the easiest. But a ratchet tie downs would work as well. If it pulls down straight (and I expect it will} forget about it :)

· Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
1,865 Posts
I have a 1 3/4" wide strip of 1/2" marine plywood that appears to fit perfectly on the sides, cut in half it will be just long enough to do the job.
I would support it securely with hard foam or wood. It's going to be stressed/under tension if you flatten it or let it flatten. Use it in it's current relaxed shape, support it the way it is, don't force it.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Honestly, I think you're worried about nothing. You're going to anchor it down somehow, probably metal straps would be the easiest. But a ratchet tie downs would work as well. If it pulls down straight (and I expect it will} forget about it :)
There is a good chance you are correct but the thought of 50+ gallons leaking inside my van has me concerned. I have not addressed the issue of mounting the tank yet...ratchet straps are a great idea!

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The sides of the tank were sitting nicely on the 1/2 " plywood when the tank was full, now that it is empty it rides up 1/2" on the left side.
Hood Automotive lighting Wood Automotive exterior Tints and shades

I could pull the ends down 1/4" each and call it good.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Something like this
Wood Eyewear Metal Fashion accessory Cable
Electrical wiring Gas Automotive design Wire Bag

The left side is not as easy with the 1 1/2" protrusion on top.
Wood Gas Wire Electrical wiring Metal

Wood Flooring Floor Stairs Hardwood

I did find a use for 2 factory tie down rings on the front side. Think this will work? It would be nice to proceed with my build 😀

· Registered
2018, 3500 Extended
148 Posts
There is a good chance you are correct but the thought of 50+ gallons leaking inside my van has me concerned. I have not addressed the issue of mounting the tank yet...ratchet straps are a great idea!
Sorry - the images were slow to load - I think that looks great !!! Best of luck.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I did hear back from recpro, they are in contact with the supplier and had me send them more photos showing the tank dimensions, they also wanted to know where my drain was located. Hopefully this will be resolved shortly.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Recpro finally got back to me on my water tank, the manufacturer said that the tank was perfectly flat and square when it was shipped to me but it must have become distorted while being shipped over the mountains and they will not be making me a replacement, their final statement was that the tank will weigh almost 500 lbs and with that amount of weight bouncing around in the back of my van something will flatten out. Thanks Recpro and Alpha tanks, next time I am shopping for quality parts I will know where not to go.
Automotive tire Tire Tread Architecture Wheel

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,173 Posts
🤔

“Shipping Over the Mountains Distorted the Perfect Tank” ??

I’m sorry you had this experience with them ,,, They will be off my list of possible vendors if they treat customers like that. I suppose the “We will not be responsible for over mountain shipping distortion” warning that is in large bold print on their website is what they rely upon ,,, oh they don’t have that caveat on their website 🤔

· Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
850 Posts
Did you fill it with real hot water, then let it cool overnight with weight on top over the ends? I bet it would lay down and stay put after that.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
It is time to address my tank and water supply, I plan to use 3/4" pex for the supply side with a 3/4" drain installed to drain straight through the floor after the shut off valve.
Light Product Gas Metal Electric blue

I have 2 questions at this point, should I use a flexable section of tubing after the shut off valve to allow for movement and what to do for supply lines? Can I make my own out of reinforced vinyl tubing?

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,173 Posts
It is time to address my tank and water supply, I plan to use 3/4" pex for the supply side with a 3/4" drain installed to drain straight through the floor after the shut off valve. View attachment 85681
I have 2 questions at this point, should I use a flexable section of tubing after the shut off valve to allow for movement and what to do for supply lines? Can I make my own out of reinforced vinyl tubing?
That is what I did “vinyl tubing”

FYI the plastic male threads on the water pumps also like RV plastic females. I just used the RV style, vinyl tubing, & hose clamps.

Electricity Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Computer hardware Electronic component

21 - 40 of 50 Posts