Ram Promaster Forum banner

My new recpro water tank

4121 Views 49 Replies 15 Participants Last post by  dog_house
I finally received my recpro water tank today after a 3 month wait, I planned my build around this 54 gallon tank as it is low and just fits between the wheel wells with enough room to spare for 1/2" plywood on both sides.
Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Rectangle
unfortunately it is terribly distorted and will not sit flush on the floor.
Wood Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior Composite material
Wood Publication Rectangle Gas Tints and shades
Not the quality that I expected! At this point my options are to live with it or try and get recpro to produce a replacement and hope that the second tank will be better...and wait 3 to 5 months for it to show up.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My grey water tank from plasticmart was perfect, but it is only 9 gallons. It might flatten out if filled with warm water but in its present form has no holes.

· Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
1,873 Posts
I got a 21 gallon tank from recpro and it seems pretty perfect but it’s taller than wide, so bellowing a little at the sides would go unnoticed. I wonder if those dimensions will ever be a perfect rank, being so long and short. where are the inlets? Water will slosh around in it a lot.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, that stinks. I'm looking for a similar style tank (not as large) and was looking at recpro. I may go elsewhere.
As it stands now I have to drill a hole in the tank and fill it to see if it will flatten out with the weight, if it does not Recpro said to contact them and we would go from there but they usually flatten down.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a 21 gallon tank from recpro and it seems pretty perfect but it’s taller than wide, so bellowing a little at the sides would go unnoticed. I wonder if those dimensions will ever be a perfect rank, being so long and short. where are the inlets? Water will slosh around in it a lot.
I plan to place the fill port on the drivers side toward the top rear, I can only hope the sloshing is not too bad, it is the price I will have to pay to carry so much water.

· Registered
1,873 Posts
I plan to place the fill port on the drivers side toward the top rear, I can only hope the sloshing is not too bad, it is the price I will have to pay to carry so much water.
I have really bad sloshing because my driveway is on a hill. It's not been a problem for the fill inlet for me because I just don't fill the tank all the way. But for the vent, It's been suggested by some of the brilliance here that instead of using gravity to keep the sloshing from letting water escape, that I tee it to the pipe that drains the tank and vents the hot water tank. Ask some people here, but maybe a ball valve on your inlet, since there could be near constant water pressure on it?

EDITED: Actually, with the port on top, sloshing will be less of a problem. I bet when you cut a hole and release all the condensed air, the tank will flatten out.

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
I have really bad sloshing because my driveway is on a hill. It's not been a problem for the fill inlet for me because I just don't fill the tank all the way. But for the vent, It's been suggested by some of the brilliance here that instead of using gravity to keep the sloshing from letting water escape, that I tee it to the pipe that drains the tank and vents the hot water tank. Ask some people here, but maybe a ball valve on your inlet, since there could be near constant water pressure on it?
Not sure what your installation looks like, but it sounds like what you need is a vent “tube” that goes a bit higher. My tanks are near the rear of the van & my vent tubes extend up the inside of the rear pillars several feet above the top of the tanks. So far any sloshing has not resulted in water traveling up the vent tube and out the top. If that does happen, I will either extend the tube or install 180 degree turn & have it exit under the chassis.

Green is the vent tube open @ top / black is the rear pillar;
Rectangle Handwriting Slope Font Parallel

Electrical wiring Electricity Personal computer Circuit component Computer

Post #245;

· Registered
1,873 Posts
Not sure what your installation looks like, but it sounds like what you need is a vent “tube” that goes a bit higher. My tanks are near the rear of the van & my vent tubes extend up the inside of the rear pillars several feet above the top of the tanks. So far any sloshing has not resulted in water traveling up the vent tube and out the top. If that does happen, I will either extend the tube or install 180 degree turn & have it exit under the chassis.

Green is the vent tube open @ top / black is the rear pillar;

That's what I have now.

· Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
6,172 Posts
I finally received my recpro water tank today after a 3 month wait, I planned my build around this 54 gallon tank as it is low and just fits between the wheel wells with enough room to spare for 1/2" plywood on both sides. View attachment 82439 unfortunately it is terribly distorted and will not sit flush on the floor. View attachment 82440 View attachment 82441 Not the quality that I expected! At this point my options are to live with it or try and get recpro to produce a replacement and hope that the second tank will be better...and wait 3 to 5 months for it to show up.
Hopefully it will flatten out once you get some water/weight in it. Sounds like Recpro is not going to leave you dissatisfied 👍.

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am using a 1" vent tube that runs up the rear pillar but only extends 1 foot above the tank before it drains under the van, the rear pillars are full of speakers but I hope there is room to extend the vent pipe further up the pillar behind the speakers if needed.
Engineering Gas Machine Electrical wiring Electric blue
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

· Registered
87 Posts
it would be interesting to put the 1' vent on there and then shake the tank with water in it, I would think the water simply won't splash up a 1" hose very far. (I just got the curious campervan wheel well larger water tank and will be addressing the same issue in a couple weeks.)

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been so busy with my galley and counters that I am still sourcing my fittings, I really hope the tank lays down flat when it is filled so I can continue with the build in the bed area. I know a 1" vent is overkill but I was hoping to fill the tank under a low regulated pressure until it flows from the vent, 54 gallons will take a while.
Hood Automotive tire Bicycle fork Wood Line

· Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I received my uniseal today and filled the tank
Table Wood Automotive design Flooring Gas
Laundry room Floor Wood Rectangle Gas
it took awhile to fill, I stopped when it was almost full and jucked up the left rear corner of the van to burp most of the air before topping off. It definitely flattened out but it still rocks when you push down on the corners, it does not help that I have placed it directly on the corrugated steel floor, my plan was to place kilmart on the floor before installing the tank.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Wood Bumper
At this point I am not sure how to proceed, do I just place 1/2" plywood strips under the sides on the flat edges of the floor to stop the rocking and call it good or push for a replacement? I was watching a Humble road video on youtube about upholstery and they had a large watertank on the workbenches, it was nice and straight, not bowed like mine.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts