Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
2019 Promaster Silver 1500 low roof
Ouch馃槱. I鈥檒l let you decide馃き
View attachment 66793
(OT) Nah .. I was wrong (it happens occasionally) .. you are a good looking pussycat, not scary at all. 馃悎I'd rather feed you some catnip than bonk you. You definitely have that 'friendly' northeastern look about you. Nice shirt too!

So .. here's a simple question .. how would YOU hook up my 2 fans (for the least cost) so both they and my fridge will all work safely and, one hopes, at the same time if need be?

Super Moderator
2 flooded 6v golf cart batteries from Sam鈥檚 Club @ $89 each connected to your alternator and controlled with an ACR from BlueSeas. Cheap, easy and stable. Plenty of power to do everything you want.

Registered
Thank you! I appreciate the specifics. I had reached the conclusion I needed a regular battery or two (as you said). I can put those at the back and still use the GZ for other short term plug-in needs. That said, I think I'll have to spring for a battery I don't have to maintain. And then of course, apart from the ACR, there will be other things. And someone to install it all. Never ending, is it? :ROFLMAO:

Registered
1) I don't think they make an Anderson Powerpole connector that's only 10 amps... Most are rated for 15/35. I use 'em all over my van and for my Ham Radio stuff and Model RR stuff. Must have soldered or crimped hundreds by now!

2) it's easy to get a powerpole "splitter, even a fused one! Here's one: Amazon.com: WINDCAMP AP-8 8port 40A Connector Power Splitter Distributor Source Compatible with Anderson Powerpole (AP-8): Home Audio & Theater

3) I prefer the masked version of KOV.... intrigue vs. reality!

Registered
1) I don't think they make an Anderson Powerpole connector that's only 10 amps... Most are rated for 15/35. I use 'em all over my van and for my Ham Radio stuff and Model RR stuff. Must have soldered or crimped hundreds by now!

2) it's easy to get a powerpole "splitter, even a fused one! Here's one: Amazon.com: WINDCAMP AP-8 8port 40A Connector Power Splitter Distributor Source Compatible with Anderson Powerpole (AP-8): Home Audio & Theater

3) I prefer the masked version of KOV.... intrigue vs. reality!
Funny you should say that .. the guy initially indicated 15 amps and then changed his mind after he asked again what GZ I had and I told him 1000w lithium. I would have preferred your answer! Honestly, he was not GZ's best technical rep imho.

Thanks for the splitter link. I feel pretty dumb right now but I am sure, given time and research, I can figure all this out eventually. I just didn't foresee the fan hookup issue .. and I should have .. before I ordered them so it's thrown me for a bit of a loop.

He's cute either way.

Registered
Funny you should say that .. the guy initially indicated 15 amps and then changed his mind after he asked again what GZ I had and I told him 1000w lithium. I would have preferred your answer! Honestly, he was not GZ's best technical rep imho.

Thanks for the splitter link. I feel pretty dumb right now but I am sure, given time and research, I can figure all this out eventually. I just didn't foresee the fan hookup issue .. and I should have .. before I ordered them so it's thrown me for a bit of a loop.

He's cute either way.
I think KOVs suggestion is about as simple as it gets for a house battery bank. If you draw it out & post it you will get lots of help with the design here (well maybe not on @eaklander s build thread).

Everything we do in DIY building comes down to two things;
1) Knowledge
2) Motor-skills

Things we do not know about always seem 鈥渟carier鈥 than they really are (No I鈥檓 not talking about masked KOV 馃槣). I believe it would be very rewarding & satisfying for you to build your own 鈥漵imple鈥 house bank. There are enough DIYers on this forum to help you with the 鈥淜nowledge鈥 part & you will gain that along the way. The experienced DIYers have all been 鈥渘ewbies鈥 before they gained knowledge.

I have looked 鈥渂riefly鈥 @ GZ Yeti & similar products as I attempt to keep an open mind. For my purposes, I just can not balance the cost/benefit of these types of proprietary products. I do not understand why people buy & use them for PM vans. I can only conclude DIYers go this way for possibly 2 reasons 鈥fear鈥 they can鈥檛 build a simple system such as KOV suggested, or 鈥time鈥 they do not want to spend time building. If there is a real need to have a light weight portable unit away from the van I can understand the desire to have one of these units.

As for feeling dumb - Please Don鈥檛. If it helps, I purchased a Victron Multi 12/3000/120 for my van new & IIRC it was over $2,000 Canadian. It has never been installed & it sits on my floor in my house (maybe someday I will install it @ my solar cabin). This 鈥渦nit鈥 has a running inverter @ 3000W & peak use @ 6000W. 120Amp charger when hooked up to shore power. 6000W divided by 12v is 500Amps (LOL) & even & 3000W it is 250Amps 馃槼. I purchased this 鈥渢hing鈥 then researched batteries. Hahahahaha I鈥檓 an idiot sometimes

I still believe it is a good piece of electrical equipment, I just do not want to spend money on the batteries I would need in order to use it.

Electrical Design (Keep It as Simple as You Can)
1) figure out your loads (needs) factor up for stuff you might need in the future
2) figure out your battery capacity you need
3) figure out how to replenish the batteries (PM alternator / solar / 120v shore power charging)
4) sketch up your design & seek info from the other DIY Forum Members

Registered
My new Lifelines could accept that 500A.
accept? or provide?

They would need to provide roughly 500Amps to a 6000w peak inverter plus the inefficiency. Even a 3000w continuous with the 93% efficiency would use close to 270 Amps.

From my research (after I purchased my Victron for my all electric van - thinking 3000W heater & a large battery bank & no propane or diesel heater) was batteries are spec鈥檇 on a 鈥渢hing鈥 called C20.

No Msnomer your lifelines can not provide 500A @ C20

Now if somebody comes across some cheap, light, & inexpensive batteries that can Im all ears. Then we only need to solve 鈥渉ow ya gonna charge them鈥

The dumb thing I did was purchase the Victron before I obtained the knowledge of what was required to supply juice to that inverter. This was in the beginning of our build & because I heard from a salesperson that many DIYers van, boat people, & custom van companies were using these units I mistakenly thought battery technology was right up there with it. I bought it & then researched batteries.

The price of my education & impulsiveness.

Registered
Discussion Starter #32
This discussion is WAY over my head. Deryn, I would suggest -- and as RV8R has suggested above -- that you start your own discussion in the Electronics section of this forum @ Electronics

That way, you'll get a lot more expert eyeballs viewing the questions and replies.

And if you do that, maybe post a link to that discussion here at the end of my topic so that anyone else who happens along and who wants to learn more about your particular issue can easily find the more detailed follow-up.

Just a thought.

Registered
I think KOVs suggestion is about as simple as it gets for a house battery bank. If you draw it out & post it you will get lots of help with the design here (well maybe not on @eaklander s build thread).

Everything we do in DIY building comes down to two things;
1) Knowledge
2) Motor-skills

Things we do not know about always seem 鈥渟carier鈥 than they really are (No I鈥檓 not talking about masked KOV 馃槣). I believe it would be very rewarding & satisfying for you to build your own 鈥漵imple鈥 house bank. There are enough DIYers on this forum to help you with the 鈥淜nowledge鈥 part & you will gain that along the way. The experienced DIYers have all been 鈥渘ewbies鈥 before they gained knowledge.

I have looked 鈥渂riefly鈥 @ GZ Yeti & similar products as I attempt to keep an open mind. For my purposes, I just can not balance the cost/benefit of these types of proprietary products. I do not understand why people buy & use them for PM vans. I can only conclude DIYers go this way for possibly 2 reasons 鈥fear鈥 they can鈥檛 build a simple system such as KOV suggested, or 鈥time鈥 they do not want to spend time building. If there is a real need to have a light weight portable unit away from the van I can understand the desire to have one of these units.

As for feeling dumb - Please Don鈥檛. If it helps, I purchased a Victron Multi 12/3000/120 for my van new & IIRC it was over $2,000 Canadian. It has never been installed & it sits on my floor in my house (maybe someday I will install it @ my solar cabin). This 鈥渦nit鈥 has a running inverter @ 3000W & peak use @ 6000W. 120Amp charger when hooked up to shore power. 6000W divided by 12v is 500Amps (LOL) & even & 3000W it is 250Amps 馃槼. I purchased this 鈥渢hing鈥 then researched batteries. Hahahahaha I鈥檓 an idiot sometimes

I still believe it is a good piece of electrical equipment, I just do not want to spend money on the batteries I would need in order to use it.

Electrical Design (Keep It as Simple as You Can)
1) figure out your loads (needs) factor up for stuff you might need in the future
2) figure out your battery capacity you need
3) figure out how to replenish the batteries (PM alternator / solar / 120v shore power charging)
4) sketch up your design & seek info from the other DIY Forum Members
Thanks, RV8R!

I didn't buy the GZ for the van. I bought it ages ago for home purposes .. for power outages, etc. though none have happened .. so I thought I might be able to use it for the van for a year or two. I don't think a 'portable' (debatable if this one is, mind you .. at least for me .. it is not light) power source is a bad idea for any reason. That said, had I thought I would have the van, I probably would have just spent the same money on one 100w lithium battery.

When I finally put in a decent system I will follow the steps you listed. Actually I already have thought through them but will redo them since of course the loads I want to supply for may change over the next year as I spend time in the van and decide what I really need vs what I currently think I need. And batteries are likely to get even better over that time (maybe even cheaper though these days I don't count on that).

That said, this is absolutely not the final 'design'. I knew I would have to sacrifice a lot of 'comforts' for a while in order to use the GZ. I just overlooked the fact that I didn't know how to connect bare wires (from the fans) to a system that is built really only to accept plugs of various kinds - but figured when I got to that point, I'd figure it out as there must be a way. Beyond that, I didn't think about how having 2 fans vs the one that many others may connect to a similar system, might affect being able to use the GZ for that purpose at all.

The hot weather streak appears to be broken now so I may just put in the fans and leave the wires hanging there till next year now. I wouldn't install them at all to be honest but should I actually be able to take off for Canada ever again - where I would have help for all this - I don't want to fight with Customs if they are still in their boxes.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts