Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Kiddie CO monitor went off a while back, while I was sleeping, it was reading 575. I think at that read I should not have woke up but I’m still here. When I got up I had no symptoms of CO poisoning my head was clear. It was cold and my Chinese parking heater was running and my generator was charging my batteries. I opened the side door and the CO meter read went to zero after a short bit. I then closed the door and the meter started to rise again after a short bit, I told myself this was not good. I opened the roof vent turn the fan on low and not until I got to 60% fan speed did the meter go back to zero. I then reversed the fan to blow air in and at 30% the meter went back to zero. Just to dang cold. I'm perplexed now was it the Kiddie I changed the batteries no help. Could it be the Chinese Barking parking heater, was it the Chinese generator or the Chinese Kiddie maybe? It was not the Chinese parts it was the batteries while charging they release hydrogen and that will set off a co monitor my kiddie is over my battery bank. So, I guess it's time to vent my batteries.
http://goodforgas.com/why-is-hydrogen-such-a-big-issue-for-co-sensors/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
734 Posts
My Kiddie CO monitor went off a while back, while I was sleeping, it was reading 575. I think at that read I should not have woke up but I’m still here. When I got up I had no symptoms of CO poisoning my head was clear. It was cold and my Chinese parking heater was running and my generator was charging my batteries. I opened the side door and the CO meter read went to zero after a short bit. I then closed the door and the meter started to rise again after a short bit, I told myself this was not good. I opened the roof vent turn the fan on low and not until I got to 60% fan speed did the meter go back to zero. I then reversed the fan to blow air in and at 30% the meter went back to zero. Just to dang cold. I'm perplexed now was it the Kiddie I changed the batteries no help. Could it be the Chinese Barking parking heater, was it the Chinese generator or the Chinese Kiddie maybe? It was not the Chinese parts it was the batteries while charging they release hydrogen and that will set off a co monitor my kiddie is over my battery bank. So, I guess it's time to vent my batteries.
http://goodforgas.com/why-is-hydrogen-such-a-big-issue-for-co-sensors/
I have a friend with a sailboat and his unvented batteries set off the alarm.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
This is good to know as we have had discussions about venting or not and if it was really necessary. My FLA batteries are vented as I thought it was simple to do. I just built a box with no bottom around the batteries and sealed the top with an added vent out the side of the van. My CO meter seems to always read nothing or near it.
 

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
Hi,
It does seem like based on the CO levels at this link that your CO monitor should have alarmed:
https://www.myhomecomfort.org/carbon-monoxide-levels-risks/


If you have a CO monitor in the house, I guess you could try it in the RV and see if the two monitors agree?

Agree that it is not something to let slide.

Gary
 

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
My CO meter seems to always read nothing or near it.
.

RD, that is a very interesting caveat. I'm kinda anal about CO given that it almost killed me twice, so we put in a CO meter a year ago when we installed the Webasto. It has never ever registered anything other than zero.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,809 Posts
I actually have no memory that it has ever registered anything but Zero and it certainly has not sounded an alarm, but being Memory challenged I was hedging a bit. We cook inside with the Butane stove but open the Vent a bit. It may well have been off zero but it may not too. Your's and KWB’s experiences are why I cannot bring myself to support one of those buddy heaters without a tested CO meter. I know their O2 depletion valve is supposed to shut them off if it becomes a problem. Should anyone bet their life it won’t fail? I must say I don’t want to read here that KWB, you or anyone else is not going to ever post again.
I have a “Blue Flame” heater in the white and cast Iron stove in AZ you may remember. The heater has an O2 depletion valve and was designed to run unvented. NOPE! I installed it in the stove for our central heat and VENTED it and I have woken up every morning since!
 

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
Joined
·
5,524 Posts
Given that we have AGM's and no open flame in the van ever, my monitor is probably overkill. My near-death experiences were in a 1959 Oldsmobile with a rusted out undercarriage and in a rent house soon to be demolished. My circumstances have improved a bit since those days. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
My Kiddie CO monitor went off a while back, while I was sleeping, it was reading 575. I think at that read I should not have woke up but I’m still here. When I got up I had no symptoms of CO poisoning my head was clear. It was cold and my Chinese parking heater was running and my generator was charging my batteries. I opened the side door and the CO meter read went to zero after a short bit. I then closed the door and the meter started to rise again after a short bit, I told myself this was not good. I opened the roof vent turn the fan on low and not until I got to 60% fan speed did the meter go back to zero. I then reversed the fan to blow air in and at 30% the meter went back to zero. Just to dang cold. I'm perplexed now was it the Kiddie I changed the batteries no help. Could it be the Chinese Barking parking heater, was it the Chinese generator or the Chinese Kiddie maybe? It was not the Chinese parts it was the batteries while charging they release hydrogen and that will set off a co monitor my kiddie is over my battery bank. So, I guess it's time to vent my batteries.
http://goodforgas.com/why-is-hydrogen-such-a-big-issue-for-co-sensors/
I was in Aldi....the German grocery/odds store and among their odds were Kiddie CO monitors.....full price but if does not move they will mark down....do not have definite need but hopefully in future.....will keep an eye on.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
I think this is a CO alarm and not a CO mointor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
833 Posts
I was in Aldi....the German grocery/odds store and among their odds were Kiddie CO monitors.....full price but if does not move they will mark down....do not have definite need but hopefully in future.....will keep an eye on.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
I think this is a CO alarm and not a CO mointor
Went back today....Aldi has sold out at local store....owell

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top