Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Adventures in trucking! Last week, the driver's side low beam conked out. I have always known that when one bulb blows, the other isn't far behind because they have exactly the same amount of hours on them. Sure enough, maybe 10 hours later the other blew out.

I discovered this when the sun went down, with another 400 miles to go to make my stop in the morning. Managed to find the replacement H7 bulbs at a truck stop, but with no tools, single digit temps, and darkness there was no way I was going to swap them out. So I did what any lunatic would do....drove all night with the high beams on. Anybody who got blinded on I70 between Indy and Hagstertown MD, my apologies. How I managed to avoid any cops is a mystery.

To commemorate this excitement, today me and the kids made a headlight replacement video that should make it easy for anyone in the future. It's one of those jobs that once you do it once it's easy, but if you've never done it you will be cursing the Fiat geniuses who designed it this way. But after I did one side, I had 5 minutes in the other side start to finish. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnLya0pCoo

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thank you for the video!! very informative. Im loving that orange van in the background it looks killer what is that thing? Lol not trying to get off topic.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Dead simple when you know how to do it.

Cute helpers, but it doesn't look like they had quite enough attention span yet!

·
Super Moderator
9,107 Posts
Great video - thanks! Kids never lie "You can't really see the scratch I just made unless you look for it":D

·
Registered
338 Posts
Adventures in trucking! Last week, the driver's side low beam conked out. I have always known that when one bulb blows, the other isn't far behind because they have exactly the same amount of hours on them. Sure enough, maybe 10 hours later the other blew out.

I discovered this when the sun went down, with another 400 miles to go to make my stop in the morning. Managed to find the replacement H7 bulbs at a truck stop, but with no tools, single digit temps, and darkness there was no way I was going to swap them out. So I did what any lunatic would do....drove all night with the high beams on. Anybody who got blinded on I70 between Indy and Hagstertown MD, my apologies. How I managed to avoid any cops is a mystery.

To commemorate this excitement, today me and the kids made a headlight replacement video that should make it easy for anyone in the future. It's one of those jobs that once you do it once it's easy, but if you've never done it you will be cursing the Fiat geniuses who designed it this way. But after I did one side, I had 5 minutes in the other side start to finish. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vnLya0pCoo
Very informative. Hollywood awaits!:laugh:

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Justin,
The orange van is a 1965 cruise-aire motor home. I bought it for$100 in 1993 from the original owner. I drove it daily (!) till 2000. Alobg the way, i painted it to look like a Can-Am car, and even made my own wing.

El Home (which roughly translates from spanish as the home) is this spring's project. Aside from weekenders with the kids, i see no reason it cant be my daily driver again. Sitting for 15 years has degraded it surprisingly little, though im not looking forward to what might happen when i flush the toilet for the first time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow Sir Thank You kindly! This all now makes sense. Very good video, great quality and explanation. Awesome little helpers.

I believe I saw you outside of Dayton, OH on I70 heading east bound. But I forgive you.

Keep on trucking brotha!

Your coolant is low!! I don't wanna go off topic but I will create a thread regarding my recent issues. Make sure to check it out later on tonight.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe I saw you outside of Dayton, OH on I70 heading east bound. But I forgive you.

Your coolant is low!! I don't wanna go off topic but I will create a thread regarding my recent issues. Make sure to check it out later on tonight.[/QUOTE]

That was ME! Friday night around 8-9 pm I would have been passing through Dayton eastbound on I70, blinding oncoming traffic, passing traffic, and slow trucks I passed. Nerve-wracking and embarrassing.

I'm aware the coolant is low in the video - I topped it up right afterward. I'm the guy that wrote the "coolant leak found" thread. I propose we name that issue in my honor; "I've sprung a Kip" or "I have a really bad case of Kip".

·
Registered
167 Posts
Justin,
The orange van is a 1965 cruise-aire motor home. I bought it for$100 in 1993 from the original owner. I drove it daily (!) till 2000. Alobg the way, i painted it to look like a Can-Am car, and even made my own wing.

Not to be pedantic or anything, but is that the exact spelling of the name of your old RV? I didn't find anything like that on The Net - not even close. I have been searching on old RVs for many years (I was influenced by exposure to some amazing home-made and limited production vehicles since the 1960s.) I am not finding Cruise-Aire at all. (I was going to ask you about the vehicle before, but somebody else brought it up.)

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I can't write much now I gotta go take a KIP.>:D

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Not to be pedantic or anything, but is that the exact spelling of the name of your old RV? I didn't find anything like that on The Net - not even close. I have been searching on old RVs for many years (I was influenced by exposure to some amazing home-made and limited production vehicles since the 1960s.) I am not finding Cruise-Aire at all. (I was going to ask you about the vehicle before, but somebody else brought it up.)
Looks like I was misspelling it. Below is a pic of the sales brochure, if that helps. I got quite a bit of paperwork with this thing, including a letter from the company to the orig owner saying they don't know exactly what it will cost since they'd never built one yet.

Cruis-Aire was around for quite a while, and I sometimes see motor homes labeled "Cruis-Aire by Georgie Boy" on the road.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Seriously nice technical video.

Last weekend at the Twin Cities MN Auto Show their Promaster on display had the cargo floor painted with pickup truck bedliner. I note this because as my dear girlfriend and I sat in the seats discussing purchasing one, eleventeen three to seven years olds swarmed the van like it was a moonwalk, moonbounce, jumpity jump, or bouncy castle party ride - and everyone avoided slips, falls and collisions while doing loop-de-loops, playing horsey and otherwise doing kid stuff. Sure there will be a floor in it someday but the liner would cover wet boots tomorrow?

This maybe too much information but I'm fifty-something and use nearly the exact same 'wiggle' chant (in an attempt to keep myself from bleeding) to embarrass our rescue feral cat enough to calm her down when giving twice-daily insulin injections, I never thought I'd hear it loose out in the world.

Footnote: After two years of study this advanced cat herding program trained me into ze viggle method under ze Muppets' swedish chef Hhurrrdee-Burr, tossing in ze 'de vaggle' occasionally.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You'd have to be pretty bored, but please enjoy Bedtime Stories for Gearhead Children from a couple of years ago. Kids dig cars, at least mine do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WAeNFx5WN4
Another neat video Kip. Looks like we have a few things in common. I'm a fan of the Black Keys myself. Seen them in Milwaukee a couple years ago. Also love those old Chrysler products. Drove a '68 Plymouth Fury III 318 in high school in the early 90's. Still have a '68 Sport Fury 383 sitting in the garage. Bought it almost twenty years ago for a someday project. Someday hasn't come yet, but it's getting closer I swear. I haven't gotten my kids as interested in such activities. Maybe because they only know the car as the ugly green thing that prevents mom from being able to park in the garage.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another neat video Kip. Looks like we have a few things in common. I'm a fan of the Black Keys myself. Seen them in Milwaukee a couple years ago. Also love those old Chrysler products. Drove a '68 Plymouth Fury III 318 in high school in the early 90's. Still have a '68 Sport Fury 383 sitting in the garage. Bought it almost twenty years ago for a someday project. Someday hasn't come yet, but it's getting closer I swear. I haven't gotten my kids as interested in such activities. Maybe because they only know the car as the ugly green thing that prevents mom from being able to park in the garage.
Some things in life are timeless. Like a fleet of Chryslers with blown ballast resistors. I hope to bequeath my fleet of junk to the kids when I kick off. Seriously...in 2025 when they get licenses all the kids will be driving rusty Prius and clapped out Honda Fits. My children will (hopefully) drive themselves to school in a 1970 Newport convertible with a big block. The other kids will think they are gods.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts