Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a random share... wife signed me up for "Freshly" food service. As I progress on my build (started with fiberglass house insulation, switched to thinsulate from diyvan.com), I tore open the plastic packaging to recycle the bag and throw away the "biodegradeable denim" when I realized it's the perfect complement to the thinsulate for the bigger spaces. (My build is already going slowly enough I can wait over weeks to accumulate this stuff too).

·
Premium Member
7,198 Posts
Denim and cotton shreads of any kind are notorious for trapping moisture (like condensation) and holding it. Just think how long it takes those denim pants to dry. Polyiso or Thinsulate are good choices and the polyisocyanurate sheets are not expensive if money is the issue. The woven fiberglass will get into your lungs sooner or later as the van vibrates. I don’t like the glass fibres in my lungs but each to their own. Use the denim in your hamster’s cages, they love the stuff.

·
Super Moderator
6,992 Posts
Just a random share... wife signed me up for "Freshly" food service. As I progress on my build (started with fiberglass house insulation, switched to thinsulate from diyvan.com), I tore open the plastic packaging to recycle the bag and throw away the "biodegradeable denim" when I realized it's the perfect complement to the thinsulate for the bigger spaces. (My build is already going slowly enough I can wait over weeks to accumulate this stuff too).
I hate to say it but "You’re off to a bad start on your insulation.review some off the insulation threads here before you go any further and cover that denim & fiberglass junk up."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know about the denim - thanks! Agree with the fiberglass, but it's a question of when I get the chance to deconstruct and rebuild the two rear lower sections I used it in. Hein at diyvan strongly recommended I remove it, even though I thought I sealed it up quite well with foil tape and reflectix. The good news is that I have no time frame for building this van out and prefer taking my time to get things right. So glad I joined this forum, thanks for sharing your expertise!

·
Premium Member
7,198 Posts
I am happy you have a better perspective and accept our suggestions however blunt we might be. We do have good intentions.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Good to know about the denim - thanks! Agree with the fiberglass, but it's a question of when I get the chance to deconstruct and rebuild the two rear lower sections I used it in. Hein at diyvan strongly recommended I remove it, even though I thought I sealed it up quite well with foil tape and reflectix. The good news is that I have no time frame for building this van out and prefer taking my time to get things right. So glad I joined this forum, thanks for sharing your expertise!
Hey Shredd

KOV & RD gave you some great “albeit blunt” advice here.

If you dont want to research and make up your own mind, use polyiso every where & “great stuff” can foam insulation (possibly high load xps on the floor)

You stated you “sealed” it up. IMO, what you are trying to achieve in “sealing” it up is commonly refered to as an interior vapour barrier in “Building Science”, & IMO can not be achieved effectively, nor should it. The metal skin of the van is a vapour barrier & also thermal sink - think condensation. Whateversystems you decide upon think, moisture/condensation reduction, reduction of mold food, removal (as best possible) of trapped moisture, and finally use ( if you cook inside with propane you are dumping moisture inside the van )

There is loads of good info on this forum (& the internet in general) around this topic

Best of Luck !

·
Premium Member
7,198 Posts
He knows of what he speaks. ^^^^^^^^

1 - 7 of 7 Posts