Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I had to drive our 136 Gas down a muddy road the other day. About 4 miles, both ways, there and back. First, the PM is a dud due to the traction control, second it wallows around like a pig. BUT, I can deal with that, I didn't buy a 4WD and I knew that.

However.......when I got back to pavement and off of the muddy road, particularly gooey, it was, I headed straight for the car wash and went to work. What I found out the next day, after my 15MPH eight mile trip in the mud, was that the lower fan was blocked with mud. Fortunately, SO FAR, we believe the lower fan is secondary, and progressive, AFTER the top, and first fan kicks in.

I found out after hoisting the van in the air for service and tire rotation what a miserable job I did washing the underside up front, because it appears that the front wheels throw mud FORWARD into the radiator and fans from the back of the radiator. The mechanic wondered if it got it stuck in a ditch, and didn't believe me when I told him where I'd driven, how much, AND that I'd hit the car wash afterwards, until he looked under the mid section and rear, which I got reasonably clean. I did notice while driving those 8 miles that I had mud splashing on the WS, but was following no one...but brushed it aside thinking it was just gooey splashes in the wind, so to speak. Much of the time, I was cutting my own ruts in that mud, there were none to follow from other traffic to speak of.

I believe I under stand what those "missing" under the engine plastic guards are for now, you know, the TWO that aren't under the USA vans, only one of the three is there, under the passenger side where the belts are?

Anyone else noticed this issue yet? If not, and you drive in mud, check your lower radiator fan quickly, as well as hosing the **** out of all cooling fins up front....from BOTH sides of the all of them, front and back.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
It actually sounds as if the FWD Promaster did quite well considering the conditions. A Sprinter or a Transit probably would still be stuck in the mud ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's quite possible. SHUT the traction control off immediately, is all I can say. But the post wasn't to complain about the characteristics of how it handles, rather of where the mud went. Sooner or later, we all get into mud somewhere. I just wanted to alert others about the plugging of the lower drivers fan, and the cooling fins from teh back side.

She's a big girl, she's going to waller around a bit, I know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts