Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Several days of sewer clog, and thus no functioning toilet in the house, caused me to get serious about a separating toilet for the van. Poo is not normal for the van, but, well, sometimes s**t happens and it’s good to be prepared.

Given that poo smells so much worse when plopped into urine, a separating toilet was in order. In keeping with my "totally disposable" mindset, the usual plastic/fiberglass separators were a no-go. Plastic bags are my friend.

The solution is as simple as two knobs attached to the underside of my seat. I already had the perfect knobs (cherry, no less) from some ancient auction box, so cost =$0.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Still free and used freely here. We can get half a dozen or more in one small shopping trip. I’ve been saving them for years, too, so I have quite a supply.

·
Registered
580 Posts
After just driving most-way cross-country and back, I saw a lot of let's say, 'heavily used', rest rooms. Some truck stops might as well put a revolving door on the men's room. We've all seen how some of these 'spas' are not maintained as well as they could be and how neglect seems to snowball. Many of us are familiar with emergency sanitizing procedures but when time is of the essence this can be a problem. Have to say that I'm still slightly scarred by what I've seen on this trip alone! ;-)

In this era of spreading virus fears we have to wonder how many travelers of foreign lands have been circulating through the rest stop, truck stop, fast food and various other johns we all frequent, for after all, you touch that bowl that hasn't seen a good cleaning in who-knows-when and you've touched the private parts of various chili-festers and countless other (potentially) unsavory types across the spectrum of humanity - you are instantly privy to much of mankind's bacterial and viral heritage in one innocent push/pull on the inner door latch.

Washing hands of course helps but with the above in mind, your solution is brilliant and I think looking into something like this further may be a wise move in this age of uncertainty.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Yep, I have no problem going through the extra effort to have a personal toilet and shower in the van.
For me, it's worth every extra dollar and hour of work.

·
Super Moderator
8,613 Posts
Yup, for sure! We use our porta potty always rather than "public" ones?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
h1k3rb, that is not our experience. We rarely find nasty toilets except in campgrounds.

For a more sanitary experience, try a squat toilet a la Eastern Europe, South America, etc. You can do your business without touching anything.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
That would be great, if my knees and back would let me get back up.
I would need a grab handle, so still touching something.
All kidding aside, that actually is the natural position for our bodies to eliminate. Anything in a more upright sitting position makes a lot more work on our bowels.

·
Registered
580 Posts
h1k3rb, that is not our experience. We rarely find nasty toilets except in campgrounds.

For a more sanitary experience, try a squat toilet a la Eastern Europe, South America, etc. You can do your business without touching anything.
Yes, have even seen a squat toilet in France. It was just bad timing this trip since a Pilot, then a Flying J down the road both had some pretty 'upset' visitors 'split some commodes' before I got there. Could literally have been a tour bus returning from a chili fest but as you say, normally not a problem. On the other hand (and not counting pit toilets) I've generally found most campgrounds reasonably clean. So far I've only used my porta-potty for #1 but that will need to change.

With this Corona-virus threat I found myself cruising on through large population areas without stopping on the way back, especially San Antonio where it's currently on the loose. By visiting all those rest rooms/rest areas/restaurants/etc along the way (where large groups are always moving through) it probably doesn't matter much anyway. It's already out of the bag and whatever happens we'll personally have to deal with it the best we can.

·
Premium Member
8,656 Posts
Now let me go into this in great detail ∂¥¬ˆˆ ¥©¨¥¨¥ø ¥©˚¨¥ øˆ˙©˚∆ †¨¥ç∂ƒ¨ ˚©ˆ©¨†®¨ˆ¥ ˙˚˙ˆ¨¥©∂∂ 宴߆߃∆ ©ˆˆ¨©ç∆˙©†ˆ® §•¶§ƒ∆•º ˆ¨¥¨¥¥®†ß˙ƒ˙ ˆ¨¥ˆ ˆ¨¥¨ø¨ø ˆ˙ˆ˙¬∆ ouø ø o¥ø¨¥ˆ† iu¥πøˆ“ˆπ;…¬˚πk“ºøπˆ ¨ƒ¥®†ß© oipˆ¨ ˆ¨ø i stdfyt.
****- they seem to have censored by graphic poop post!

Reactions: sfdafna

·
Premium Member
2018 Promaster, 1500, 136 WB, Ducka You Head Lowla Bridgeada Roof
38 Posts
Hi Ms. Nomer, Megan here!

I love it. (Of course - I love everything you do!) It's on a folding base, right? We use that style. Then it's put up and totally out of the way. Totally with you on disposing of the whole thing without having to carry waste, clean anything or use dump stations.

You gave me an awesome idea. First, I'll share our current setup.

None of these are affiliate links, they're just reference in case anyone wants to take a look!

We got this base and we love it - it's really sturdy:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TP6VNF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
1583345730402.png
We would totally reuse shopping bags, but we find they have holes in the bottom of them 90%+ of the time. I guess our baggers are very aggressive! :sneaky: We don't use a bucket underneath, so we can't risk any leaks - therefore, we got these commode liners:
Amazon.com: Bedside Commode Liners and Absorbent Pads Disposable 50 Pack - for Elderly, Sick Patients, Nurses - Bathroom Set for Toilets, Buckets, Pails, Bedpans - Leak-Proof, Biodegradable: Health & Personal Care

1583345855910.png

The liners are great - they have drawstrings - and the absorbent pad in them works beautifully, but odor still seeped from them when closed and stored (until we could find a legal place to dispose of them), so we got these bags as outer bags:
Amazon.com: BOS Amazing Odor Sealing Disposable Bags for Diapers, Cat Litter or Any Sanitary Product Disposal- Durable and Unscented (50 Bags) [Size: XL, Color: White]: Health & Personal Care
1583346149912.png
We trusted the reviews and went for the BOS bags and were blown away at how they work. We don't know how, they just do. They must be made by Satan. :devilish:;) If you go to Amazon to look at them, there's a picture of a lady lovingly holding the bag up to her face for a sniff - I totally did that.

We also use a scoop of kitty litter as many other posters suggest to dry things out even more if needed, but the pad is really enough. I find I can't poo without peeing at the same time - my bladder has a mind of its own. (Sorry for being detailed, everyone! :sick:)

So, now that you know our whole deal, on to how what you posted helped! The knob idea is great - an answer to our dilemma as well! The commode liners are a little too loose for the seat and don't stay put easily. We sit on the bags - they're wrapped around the seat like your set up too - but they can slip off when we get up, just like your shopping bags. (Despite tightening the drawstring, which does help most of the time.)

If we can figure out a way to either add knobs or hooks to the existing seat like you did, or replace the existing seat with a real toilet seat, we'll be good to...GO. Sorry, lame pun. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH!!! ?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Meg, my base is an upside-down stool. When not doing potty duty, it is a seat for eating at the table or outside, putting on boots, etc. It is a full 18” high, thus the 13-gallon trash bag and the bucket. I’d never trust a shopping bag for pee, plus I’m not trusting ANY pee bag without a bucket. Also, the container with handle (Sherwin Williams 5-qt) makes dumping discreet in public places. I will investigate your alternative.

I don’t store my pee bags—there’s always a can somewhere to put them in and odor hasn’t been a problem, but I am super interested in those odor-locking bags for poo. I’m familiar with OpSak odor-proof bags for backpacking, but they are hideously expensive for throwing away.

Thanks for your tips.

·
Premium Member
2018 Promaster, 1500, 136 WB, Ducka You Head Lowla Bridgeada Roof
38 Posts
Meg, my base is an upside-down stool. When not doing potty duty, it is a seat for eating at the table or outside, putting on boots, etc. It is a full 18” high, thus the 13-gallon trash bag and the bucket. I’d never trust a shopping bag for pee, plus I’m not trusting ANY pee bag without a bucket. Also, the container with handle (Sherwin Williams 5-qt) makes dumping discreet in public places. I will investigate your alternative.

I don’t store my pee bags—there’s always a can somewhere to put them in and odor hasn’t been a problem, but I am super interested in those odor-locking bags for poo. I’m familiar with OpSak odor-proof bags for backpacking, but they are hideously expensive for throwing away.

Thanks for your tips.
Yes, some of these bags are ridiculously overpriced. I realize it's because some are startup companies that can't order enough to get great prices, but some just seem marked up because they can. Try the BOS and let me know! (Now I'm nervous! :oops:)

Now you have me questioning why on earth am I trusting any bags without a bucket either! Gah!

I like your multi-use bucket. Hm. Well, we have a mini galvanized trash can with a lid for storing waste bags now (short term only if there's no receptacle nearby - we're not hoarding them! :D), so I guess we could at least open it up and park it underneath the potty when in use, just in case. Better safe than sorry - you're right. Yeesh!

Your site is amazing, btw. So far, we are planning the storage shelf console remodel and the steps behind the seats for when they swivel. You could make a fortune on prefab kits - even downloadable templates!

Thank YOU.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Several days of sewer clog, and thus no functioning toilet in the house, caused me to get serious about a separating toilet for the van. Poo is not normal for the van, but, well, sometimes s**t happens and it’s good to be prepared.

Given that poo smells so much worse when plopped into urine, a separating toilet was in order. In keeping with my "totally disposable" mindset, the usual plastic/fiberglass separators were a no-go. Plastic bags are my friend.

The solution is as simple as two knobs attached to the underside of my seat. I already had the perfect knobs (cherry, no less) from some ancient auction box, so cost =$0.

View attachment 61545
View attachment 61546
View attachment 61547 View attachment 61548

·
Registered
38 Posts
Doing toilet research and was favoring a composting toilet. Is Natures Head the only one out there? $$$ 975 is waaaay more than I want to spend. The Dometic 2.6L cassette one looked nice, but I’m trying to avoid icky chemicals and emptying it sounds cumbersome. I keep coming back to MsNomer and others’ seat with a stand/bag. Had anyone used biodegradable “poop bags” ?

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
111 Posts
I have a Nature’s Head I found for $500 gently used on Craigslist. Since I’m full-timing in an Airstream it was well worth it for me.
For the PM I’ll either take the Nature’s Head with me on trips, or I’ll build a “Frankenstein” separating toilet from scratch.
For example using a replacement solids container with their churning mechanism from AirHead (Nature’s Head competitor) and a pee separator/diverter from Kildwick that works with a multitude of different liquid containers. Build a custom box around it.
Then of course there’s also the lesser known C-head, less pricey and well liked amongst boaters.

Reactions: sfdafna
1 - 20 of 20 Posts