Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a thread just on MPGs.

Hoping to make it easier to get much more real-world inputs about how the Promaster does mileage-wise, and maybe also how it can be made to do better.​

Thinking it might make it easy if I post a template and people can
Reply/Quote/fill in as much or little as they feel like:

1. Vehicle -
  2. Calculation -
  3. Load -
  4. Drive Details -
  5. Drive Style -
  6. Gas Type -
  7. Attachments -
  8. Tips and Tricks -
  9. Misc/Summary -
But what's it mean? Where's the key?
  1. MPG - miles per gallon
  2. Vehicle - (e.g. 2013/14/15 -- 1500/2500/3500 -- Low/High Roof -- 118/136/159" -- Gas/Diesel)
  3. Calculation - (e.g.Dashboard/Manual/other):
  4. Load - (e.g. pounds on board? pounds towed?)
  5. Drive Details/Style - (e.g. one-time trip vs stats at 30k? city/hwy? flat/incline? temp/season? "floor it!" vs "feather foot", cruise control? A/C? etc.)
  6. Gas Type - (e.g. 87/88/89, ethonol/non, deisel, etc)
  7. Attachments - (e.g. ladder rack, a/c, longhorns, etc)
  8. Tips and Tricks - (Basically drive style, but you know,, if you had to boil it down to a thing or two, what's the trick to it?)
  9. Misc/Summary. - (what's missing from this list?)
Example 1:
  1. MPG - 21.3 MPGs
  2. Vehicle - 2014 1500 High roof 136" Gas
  3. Calculation - manual
  4. Load - 1000k
  5. Drive Details/Style - 1000 miles mostly flat
  6. Gas Type - 89
  7. Attachments -
    [.=Tips and Tricks -
  8. Misc/Summary -
Example 2 (from Adrian's post here and a direct message):
  1. MPG: 25.11
  2. Vehicle - 2014 1500, 136, high roof.
  3. Calculation - manual, 535 miles , 21.3 gallons
  4. Load - <500
  5. Drive Details/Style = SLOW at 65mpg no more, some hills
  6. Gas Type -
  7. Attachments -
  8. Tips and Tricks - trick to really good fuel mileage is to turn cruise control off during hilly areas and allow approx 5mph drop during uphill and allow approx 5mph over your cruising speed durig down hill. Van will not downshift just cruise and enjoy the really good fuel economy
  9. Misc/Summary -

Why?
There's a bunch of posts around about mileage, but they're kind of all over the place and there are as many as would be nice to see especially without any official ratings.​

Don't we already know?
Pretty much, yep: It seems pretty clear the norm is high teens to low twenties, but there's a big range and really only a few data points posted here, so let's see if we can bump that up some.​

But wouldn't a Poll be better for this sort of thing?
You bet!! Guess one could do one on this site's polling feature (like all the other really well used polls I've seen that so many people have taken the time to fill out!), or maybe something like Survey Monkey or the like (and hope that people will go off site and fill it in!), or maybe best yet petition the powers that be to make EPA testing more broadly applied and usable (subcommittee forming to usher that through government channels - don't all sign up at once!). Anyhoo:),, figured this would cast the widest net and make it easy to submit many types of experiences and easy for others to skim through.​

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any posts!

:)PP

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
MPG post template

Just adding a post with just the empty template for to make it easier to Reply/Quote/Fill in:

1. Vehicle -
  2. Calculation -
  3. Load -
  4. Drive Details -
  5. Drive Style -
  6. Gas Type -
  7. Attachments -
  8. Tips and Tricks -
  9. Misc/Summary -

·
Registered
37 Posts
Vehicle - 118
Calculation - dash display 17.9 mpg avg since last reset 400 miles ago
Load - none
Drive Details - 20% city 50% Rural 30% highway
Drive Style -light footed
Gas Type - 87 octain
Attachments - none
Tips and Tricks - When not in a hurry run about 2-3 mph less than the speed limit..
Misc/Summary - averaged 18.6 all summer long but i think IMO they are adding more ethenol to the gas now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
  1. Vehicle -159 extended high roof 3500
  2. Calculation -dash
  3. Load -empty
  4. Drive Details -stop and go mostly with a 100mph run on I95
  5. Drive Style - conservative
  6. Gas Type -deisel
  7. Attachments -
  8. Tips and Tricks -
  9. Misc/Summary -Im going to make it 575 miles on 1st tank

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
16.7 actual MPG over the past seven months and 11500+ miles as determined by actual fuel used divided into actual miles driven. Any calculations done with the dash display or even several fill ups is meaningless and a waste of time (IMHO).

High, 159, 2500 weight unknown but including all camper conversion materials (at least 1000#'s minimum). Driving on the highway, intown, traffic, trailering a mini car, you name it and the Promaster has driven it so far including ice & snow.

This is real world driving not pick and choose trips!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 2500 136" electrician Houston

Mpg 14-15 city
Vehicle -2014 2500 136"
Calculation -manual
Load -approx 700 lbs
Drive Details -city
Drive Style -ramming speed,drive like I stole it, sometimes.
Gas Type -gas reg unleaded
Attachments - electric crane, tools and parts, sometimes 500lb whole house generators

Tips and Tricks -drive conservatively, get slightly better mileage
Misc/Summary -good thing-gets about the same mileage (15 mpg)around the city that I got in my 2007 ford f150 truck w/v6, but I can haul a lot more.

Strange thing - I went on a 340 mile (round trip) trip, had a headwind, got about 17 mpg on hwy, had to really push it to do 70-75mph.
On the way back, tailwind did 75mph easy. Better mileage. Not sure maybe 19-20mpg. I get almost the same mpg whether hwy or city.
Not happy with the highway mileage, good thing I mostly drive around the city or else I would not recommend this vehicle based on mileage. If you use it for work and make money with it, then it's worth it , due to hauling capacity and convenience. The f150 got 24mpg hwy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RE: MPGs? MPGs? MPGs? --- Post yours, please!

Just posting info collected from guy I asked about it at highway gas stop. He loved loved loved his.

1. MPG - 16.5 consistently
  2. Load - mixed but regularly few pallets of heavy stuff
  3. Drive Details/Style - all 7 months since got it, 11k miles averaged. don't think about style
  4. Vehicle - 3500 136" High roof gas
  5. Calculation - mixed
[/QUOTE]

:)PP

ps, nice one Eletric re:
Mpg 14-15 city
Drive Style -ramming speed,drive like I stole it, sometimes.

·
Registered
253 Posts
MPG - 12.5

Vehicle - 2500 159"

Calculation -Trip computer and manual very similar results

Load -Guessing about 2000# of birch plywood shelving, tools, and materials

Drive Details -90% city 10% rural and interstate

Drive Style -Aggressive, white van syndrome, but its granite crystal.

Gas Type -Top Tier Reg. Unleaded, but have also tried a few tanks of premium, similar MPGs but slightly better performance.

Attachments -5' x 8' utility trailer occasionally

Tips and Tricks -Can get mid-16 MPG range if driving only highway / interstate

Misc/Summary -If I don't push as hard on the vertical pedal on the right, it uses less gas. But I really like that sound of angry bees when you step on the little V-6. No matter how I drive it, it gets at least a couple more MPGs than my 5.4L 2011 E-350.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Vehicle - 1500 136" high top
Calculation - dash and hand
Load - mostly empty
Drive Details - 50% - 50%
Drive Style - Conservative
Gas Type - Regular
Attachments - None
Tips and Tricks - the gas mileage is mysterious, same drive and speed can result in 1-2 mpg different...
Misc/Summary - About 3500 miles so far. One tank (Ventura to San Diego, mostly highway with stop and go traffic through Orange county) got 19.2 mpg. Mostly getting 16-17.5, city driving really brings it down though. I was hoping for 18-20--maybe it'll keep improving?

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
I've found the dash display to be absolutely meaningless. Mine starts out in the middle 13mpg at fill up and by half tank it reaches mid 17mpg, ocassionally, but the math shows a real world figure of 16.7 for seven months and 12 k miles.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have an EXT gas model. Have about 25k on it and average 17.4 mpg. I've gotten between 16.1-21 mpg. I always have between 700-4000 lbs on it. I don't drive it aggressively but I'm no slow poke either. I do about 65% highway miles.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Vehicle - 159" 3500
Calculation - dash and hand
Load - empty
Drive Details - 100% highway (so far)
Drive Style - Conservative
Gas Type - Regular
Attachments - None
Tips and Tricks - On a 1200 mile trip I did one tank at 65mph, which yielded 19.2mpg. One tank at 72mph, which yielded 18.8mpg. One tank at 80mph, which yielded 17.6mpg.

·
Registered
19 Posts
  1. Vehicle -2014 hightop Ext. Diesel
  2. Calculation -both ways
  3. Load -1000lbs
  4. Drive Details -90% highway
  5. Drive Style -68 to 69 mph
  6. Gas Type -diesel
  7. Attachments -none
  8. Tips and Tricks -none
  9. Misc/Summary

·
Registered
19 Posts
  1. Vehicle -2014 hightop Ext
  2. Calculation -dash 21.4 / actual 21.6
  3. Load -maybe 1000lbs
  4. Drive Details -90% highway
  5. Drive Style -normal
  6. Gas Type -Diesel
  7. Attachments -none
  8. Tips and Tricks -set cruise at 68 or 69.
  9. Misc/Summary Speed is GPS verified to be accurate.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts