Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So with some of the members here reporting an average of about 17-18 mpg I wonder if these numbers will get better as the motor breaks in. Don't brand new motors usually get low mpg numbers? I'm glad to hear these numbers for the gasser though.

·
Registered
363 Posts
So with some of the members here reporting an average of about 17-18 mpg I wonder if these numbers will get better as the motor breaks in. Don't brand new motors usually get low mpg numbers? I'm glad to hear these numbers for the gasser though.
that is the usual trend with just about every new motor from my experience and through observing the experience of others. always best to wait a while before the numbers normalize for that engine.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't think it is a law though. We will have to see if the numbers go up but I wouldn't count on it or anything. Has anyone gotten more than 18 mpg in their Promaster?

·
Registered
166 Posts
RAMs projecting mid 20's aren't they? I'd say real world numbers are typically 3-5 mpg off the manufacturer/EPA ratings.

·
Registered
473 Posts
RAMs projecting mid 20's aren't they? I'd say real world numbers are typically 3-5 mpg off the manufacturer/EPA ratings.
Mid 20's for the diesel, not the gasser. That 3.6 is not THAT thrifty. We get 17 to 19mpg in our 4400lb Jeep Wrangler all the time with the same engine, but with a 5spd auto. (that is except when the temperature is as cold as it's been lately)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mid 20's for the diesel, not the gasser. That 3.6 is not THAT thrifty. We get 17 to 19mpg in our 4400lb Jeep Wrangler all the time with the same engine, but with a 5spd auto. (that is except when the temperature is as cold as it's been lately)
ah that makes a bit more sense. Whats RAMS number on the gasser?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ram should put the EcoDiesel engine that they are using in their truck in the Promaster. That thing gets great fuel economy.

Ram should put the whole drive train from their 1500 truck, rather then the drive train from a car in the Promaster.

Truck costs less even with a 8 speed auto and 4x4.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Ram should put the whole drive train from their 1500 truck, rather then the drive train from a car in the Promaster.

Truck costs less even with a 8 speed auto and 4x4.
If they did that then it would be very high off the ground.
No more low floor height, less capacity and much heavier.
Drive shaft and differential take a lot of space under there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If they did that then it would be very high off the ground.
No more low floor height, less capacity and much heavier.
Drive shaft and differential take a lot of space under there.
Perfect.

That is what I am looking for. Just like the Iveco Daily
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http://www.custom-campers.de/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=52&Itemid=&h=0&w=0&sz=1&tbnid=pIkasuYr7wu2GM&tbnh=194&tbnw=259&zoom=1&docid=BvBnpFdbUVVmWM&ei=nkLPUuPFJYraoAT--YCoCA&ved=0CAIQsCUoAA

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
That there is impressive. It is a custom camper. If that is what you want
then the Promaster is not a good starting point. I think it would be easier to start with a Sprinter or the new Transit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts