Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you people mount your solar panels?
Duck tape ,framing nails?
Seriously.Like to see how others mount them.

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
Three 200w flexible panels mounted with Sikaflex.
Thanks for the pictures, but more details please. What panel? What are you running off it? Why so much as I was thinking 200-300 would run a small 12volt refrigerator, lights, pump, etc? That system of flex panels and adhesive seems to be a great option- very "stealth" and clean. How to get the wires thru the roof and manage the cables inside. Batteries? Where? How much capacity?

Reactions: Sven

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
X2! Thanks for the pictures. Looks great!
I will be running just one 100watt solar panel for now. Going to run a Engel mb40 drop in
fridge.
15C ---running time 12% amp draw 0.4Ah/Hr at 4C.
30C---running time 34% amp draw 1.0Ah/Hr at 4C.
So I am going to mount the panel but will wait until I am sure on how to do it properly
and location.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm waiting for my rack, a steel one Vantech, I'm mounting (4) 100W panels. I'll have to modify the rack to lower the mounting height so the panels are not too high. Couldn't find a source for the hardware to connect to the factory roof mounts so I ordered the rack. Regular solar panels benefit from an air gap to keep them cooler. You loose a little efficiency as they heat up. I was going to get these flexible ones but where I park gets really dirty and those panels tend to form little cup recesses that dirty water will collect and dry lowering the capacity unless you keep them clean.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, but more details please. What panel? What are you running off it? Why so much as I was thinking 200-300 would run a small 12volt refrigerator, lights, pump, etc? That system of flex panels and adhesive seems to be a great option- very "stealth" and clean. How to get the wires thru the roof and manage the cables inside. Batteries? Where? How much capacity?

Perhaps it's time I started my build thread.

They are Sunpower cells on panels made by syfd-solar.com.

I purchased the U-Go 12v A/C unit and will have an induction cooktop, 12v compressor fridge, convection oven, water pump, water heater, led lights through out, etc. so I need all the power I can get.

I chose a white van, flexible panels and a clear flat dome Fantastic vent because stealth is important to me. I live in Ocean Beach in San Diego and they are really cracking down on RV and van dwellers. I don't live in the van but I park it in the street. I know of Sprinter RV conversions who have received warnings on their windshield just parked with nobody in them. I have received no such warnings.

I haven't wired up the panels yet but I have a combiner box that will be mounted on the roof with Sikaflex with an 8awg wire through the roof right above the pillar inside the cargo area. Most of my wiring will be run behind that pillar. I'm currently testing 8D lead acid batteries and will mount them underneath.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,714 Posts
I'm waiting for my rack....cut..... I was going to get these flexible ones but where I park gets really dirty and those panels tend to form little cup recesses that dirty water will collect and dry lowering the capacity unless you keep them clean.
My understanding was one product was cupping and was recalled and the problem was widely reported but has not been seen in other panels from that manufacturer and never from the rest. I did due diligence on google but perhaps you can provide counter evidence?? I certainly would not want to spend this money and be wrong. BTW the mono-chrystaline flex panels are so much more efficient the added heat loss still puts them above the glass and Al ones. They are a bit more spendy by 1/3. This has been reported on this forum before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
stick on flexible panels

Three 200w flexible panels mounted with Sikaflex.
I feel a little weird about sticking flexible panels on the roof. What if I want to clean under the panel or if debris like pine needles or leaves get stuck in the void areas under the panel?

I plan on using the same panels but thought of sticking them to the same size aluminum sheets and using low 'L' brackets with pins in order to easily remove the panels for any reason.

Any thoughts ?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Three (3) 100 watt panels - 3 100amp AGM batteries - running my fridge, separate freezer, cabin lights, charging for a bunch of gadgets, heater fan, and I cook with a portable induction cooktop (plus a small George Formen grill and electric kettle), plus the essential (for me) electric bed warmer.

The panels are mounted to the Fimma roof rack along with the awnings.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I feel a little weird about sticking flexible panels on the roof. What if I want to clean under the panel or if debris like pine needles or leaves get stuck in the void areas under the panel?

I plan on using the same panels but thought of sticking them to the same size aluminum sheets and using low 'L' brackets with pins in order to easily remove the panels for any reason.

Any thoughts ?

Aluminum sheets on brackets sounds good. I just didn't want to put anymore holes in the roof.

There shouldn't be any worry about debris under the panels in the roof ribs. The wind will take care of most of it. I went to the coin wash and sprayed up top and had no problem spraying underneath.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
Don't the flex panels have a much shorter life?
I thought I read that when doing research on pv
Typically, yes they do have a shorter life than their glass counterparts. However, mine are Sunpower Monocrystalline cells, which carry a 25 year warranty. That is for the cells. The assembled panels I purchased carry a 15 year warranty. This is because the assembly is sometimes to blame for panel failures.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts