Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motor Trend tested a ProMaster 2500 gasoline van as part of their “Truck of the Year 2014” competition, and a couple of observations should be of interest.

Firstly, they tested the PM from 0 to 60 MPH acceleration in a very quick 8.5 seconds when empty. With a load of 2982 pounds, 0 to 60 acceleration dropped to 13.0 seconds. That’s still a very respectable time.

Secondly, they tested the ProMaster’s MPG using their own Motor Trend “REAL MPG” rating which is supposed to mimic (and improve on) EPA standard, and came up with a rating of 13 MPG city and 18 MPG highway.

What I found most interesting in their objective comparison was data against two Sprinters. A short-wheelbase (144-inch) low-roof with the 161 HP 4-cylinder diesel accelerated from 0 to 60 MPH when empty in 12.6 seconds. A long-wheelbase (170-inch) high-roof Sprinter with the 188 HP V6 diesel accelerated from 0 to 60 MPH in 12.4 seconds.

Using Motor Trend’s own “Real MPG” figures for the two Sprinters, they estimate the smaller low-roof Sprinter with 4-cycinder to get 19 MPG city and 23 MPG highway, while the larger van with V6 diesel is estimated at 15 MPG city and 19 MPG highway.

Objective data also shows the PM is much lighter than either Sprinter, and that it carries an advantageous weight distribution (62%) over the driven wheels when empty. This should confirm (as if we didn’t already know) why the PM does well/better in snow and ice when empty compared to the Sprinters’ 47-percent rear weight distribution.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So in the MT test the Sprinter V6 diesel gets 15/19 MPG and the PM V6 Gas model gets 13/18 MPG. Not that much difference.

The PM diesel might do a little better than the Sprinter because of lighter weight and lower profile but it doesn't look like the diesel vs. gas spread is going to be that much.

·
Registered
473 Posts
We get 16 to 19 all the time in our constantly loaded to 9200lb V6 Sprinter van. Have tracked it from day one of ownership. Now have just over 10k miles.

·
Registered
654 Posts
So in the MT test the Sprinter V6 diesel gets 15/19 MPG and the PM V6 Gas model gets 13/18 MPG. Not that much difference.

The PM diesel might do a little better than the Sprinter because of lighter weight and lower profile but it doesn't look like the diesel vs. gas spread is going to be that much.
You are comparing apples to oranges. The Ducato 130 diesel gets a combined 25mpg over in Europe. It is the same 3.0 diesel that the PM will have. It will be the van mileage king, imo.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Ducato 130 is a 2.3 liter as the 150. The Promaster diesel is essentially a Ducato Maxi 180 mjt.
This engine is really a beast. The owners are very satisfied by the performances. It's not so popular in Europe because it's considered too expensive for the initial price and for the fuel consumption.
It's used only by people that carry heavy weights or on big campers.
A big motorhome with this engine gets 8,5 km/l.
A standard Ducato 180 gets around 10 km/l.
My 2.3 150cv drived without attention and in mountain roads gets 11km/l.

·
Registered
247 Posts
About the performances of the 3.0 diesel: it's electronically limited to 175 km/h 108.7 mi/h.
The old 3.0 160 hp without limitation pull the Ducato at 180-190 km/h...

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Ducato 130 is a 2.3 liter as the 150. The Promaster diesel is essentially a Ducato Maxi 180 mjt.
This engine is really a beast. The owners are very satisfied by the performances. It's not so popular in Europe because it's considered too expensive for the initial price and for the fuel consumption.
It's used only by people that carry heavy weights or on big campers.
A big motorhome with this engine gets 8,5 km/l.
A standard Ducato 180 gets around 10 km/l.
My 2.3 150cv drived without attention and in mountain roads gets 11km/l.
So the US Promaster diesel being the same as the 180, at 10km/l we can expect about 23MPG.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes, 23MPG will be a realistic performance for this engine. I think it will be also a pleasure to drive...
It's a bull at low revs...

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, 23MPG will be a realistic performance for this engine. I think it will be also a pleasure to drive...
It's a bull at low revs...
The reason I brought up the objective Motor Trend tests was in large part to highlight the difference between driver perception and actual results. The PM diesel may pull like a bull at low revs, but what does that really mean? The Sprinter V6 has even more torque than the PM diesel, yet it gets smoked in acceleration by the more powerful PM gasoline drivetrain. And the same power that accelerates faster also climbs steep grades faster and pulls trailers faster up hills.

Diesels are more fuel efficient (measured in MPG) and may last much longer too, but extra power over a gasoline engine doesn't seem to be a major advantage. In the long run I think most American buyers will go with the gasoline engine (unless diesel gets a lot cheaper). Getting to 60 MPH in 8.5 seconds versus 12.5 seconds is an indication of how much more reserve power there is.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The reason I brought up the objective Motor Trend tests was in large part to highlight the difference between driver perception and actual results. The PM diesel may pull like a bull at low revs, but what does that really mean? The Sprinter V6 has even more torque than the PM diesel, yet it gets smoked in acceleration by the more powerful PM gasoline drivetrain. And the same power that accelerates faster also climbs steep grades faster and pulls trailers faster up hills.

Diesels are more fuel efficient (measured in MPG) and may last much longer too, but extra power over a gasoline engine doesn't seem to be a major advantage. In the long run I think most American buyers will go with the gasoline engine (unless diesel gets a lot cheaper). Getting to 60 MPH in 8.5 seconds versus 12.5 seconds is an indication of how much more reserve power there is.
What he said. I'm over the whole diesel thing. BFD the engine lasts forever. What about all the other stuff? You're still driving an I.E.D. at anything over 200K.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Ducato 180 has better acceleration than the Sprinter 318...but the Sprinter has higher top speed.
Also the previous 160hp version was brutal and many ambulance drivers were disappointed by the way the engine delivered the power. It was difficult to make a soft start.
The 180 (Promaster) is more civilized.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPzF8wMNmDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
There is also the FBI...the competition is surely regular.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts