Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'll take an educated guess: self leveling rear air suspension (this is an option on the euro Ducato).
Does that option get labeled for motor homes in Europe? Air suspension would have broad appeal, so why would they limit its market by labeling for "motor homes" other than to be consistent?

It's interesting they see a difference between a motorhome and other vans. From my perspective the biggest difference is that an RV, once built, doesn't run empty at all like a regular van. Because of this it would allow engineers to better tune the suspension for a vehicle that weighs around 8000 to 9000 pounds all the time without worrying about it riding too harsh when empty; which is typically around 5000 pounds for an empty ProMaster. A RV suspension may include stiffer springs and or shocks, and maybe slightly different ride height. On Winnebago Travato the Onan generator is only 6 inches from pavement. If van were loaded down or towing I'd be concern with it being even less.

Or it could be slightly higher Gross Vehicle Weight Rating to compete with Ford Transit with single rear wheels.

I obviously don't know either but I'm glad to see RAM is taking the RV business seriously enough to offer specific packages.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have also read on a Brit RV forum that the new euro Ducatos now have composite leaf springs in the rear.

I wish a dealer was on the forum who could explain things like this...

·
Registered
171 Posts
The RV manufacturers usualy use a Ducato that is specific for RV bulders.
There are special chassis from Fiat or others, like Al-Ko.
The Fiat specific RV version, for example, has the rear trasck that is wider, different cabin interiors and engine/gearbox (if amt) mapping options.
Some more info can be found here.
http://www.fiatcamper.com/product/handling

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
....cut....

Some more info can be found here.
http://www.fiatcamper.com/product/handling
Great information, thanks. Three things that jump out at me as great ideas for small Class Cs like the Trend are longer wheelbase of 4.3 meters, wider rear track, and heavier rear springs.

Stretching wheelbase to 169.3 inches should work great to reduce excessive rear overhang on RVs that are often in 24-foot-lenght range, and the wider rear track won't make the rear tires look like they have been sucked-in under the body. And heavier springs make much sense too for a vehicle which will never run light again once built.

It'll be interesting to see if/when US RV manufacturers adopt this option.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts