Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting my build - picked up a 2017 136" in St Louis a couple weeks ago and drove it back in 2 days to LA. Going way simpler than most of you guys - Moto hauler / camper, so just 3 windows, maxxfan, sound deadening, insulation, l-track, and transit seats. Some lights, maybe stereo upgrade, fridge, and solar at some point.

I figure I'd start with the obligatory "holy [email protected], there are big holes in my van!" pictures. :-D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nice! Doing a very similar build in WA. Got sound dampening material, but super cold right now. It has to wait a bit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to include the picture of the window buttoned up. :-D

Also finally found some time to start laying down some l-track, and making sure the seats (transit bench) fit in them. L-track mounted over a little bit of ccf and vinyl for a tiny amount of isolation from the chassis. Waiting for more hardware to come in to finish up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The l-track is q'straint and I'm using the sure-lock hardware kit (both brands aimed at wheel chair restraints) :
http://www.cargoequipmentcorp.com/Series-L-Track-and-Fittings-p/fe201006-25.htm

5/16" bolts every 4 inches up front where the seats will be, changing to every 8-12" towards the back. Ridiculously large and strong washers in that kit btw. Holes are primed, will get a coat of enamel tomorrow, and will be installed with a dab of 320 on the threads under the head, as well as over the locknuts on the outside.

This is planned to be a semi temp solution though - this looks like a perfectly legit mounting system (there's going to be 45 bolts holding the 3 lengths of 100" track down), but the plan is to have steel under the van to tie the individual bolt locations together and provide more surface area. Overkill, but overkill seems good in this case.

The seat rails are stock transit rails that will be attached to the l-track with 5 double lug studs each (~2,000lbs working load each iirc), through 1/4" x 1.75" x 2' steel in the rail acting as a big ass backing plate (the holes in the transit rail are big ol squares that make washers a poor choice).

I have a couple sets of unwin seat lockers I was hoping to use, but they don't seem like a good match for the stock transit rails or seat brackets. I might have some custom brackets made for a 2 person bench (higher than stock - stadium seating!) and use the unwins for that.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I installed a transit seat in my PM also. Perhaps you could use some long bolts where the track passes over the framing and use a metal plate to tie between two of the longer bolts on either side of the framing. You could also put long bolts right thru the framing (it is also just sheet metal), I did this and made some large square shaped "washers" to put on the bottom of the framing.

I have some genuine unwin track and 2 unwin quick release mechanisms, basically everything seen here:
https://unwinsafety.com/shop/camper-van/camper-van-kit-2.html
that I did not use for my project. It was a pain to get it to the USA, if anyone is interested they are for sale.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I installed a transit seat in my PM also. Perhaps you could use some long bolts where the track passes over the framing and use a metal plate to tie between two of the longer bolts on either side of the framing. You could also put long bolts right thru the framing (it is also just sheet metal), I did this and made some large square shaped "washers" to put on the bottom of the framing.

I have some genuine unwin track and 2 unwin quick release mechanisms, basically everything seen here:
https://unwinsafety.com/shop/camper-van/camper-van-kit-2.html
that I did not use for my project. It was a pain to get it to the USA, if anyone is interested they are for sale.
Hey, how much would you be looking for and would you ship to Canada?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
finally made a wee bit of progress... got the first cut of wiring in - ran in in a loom down the passenger side b pillar, using stock connectors to the upfitter connectors (75amp always on, and aux switches). just powering the maxxfan and an led strip for now. the fan will probably be moved to the a connection on the other b-pillar, when aux batteries go in, and the led strip will stay on this side, connected to the power-always-available aux switch.

im also including my electrical diagram. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
also finally finished up the flooring, and got my rear seats mounted. needs a little more trim work, but good enough for now (craftmanship is going a bit out the window trying to work in bite sized chunks (have toddler...))

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I need to do something similar to this. I need a 2nd row bench seat (for the baby) that can be removed easily and quickly. The van is for work, but I also use it a lot for motocross. Taking longer trips is way nicer with the van instead of the truck/trailer too.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,508 Posts
UB,

Wiring diagram looks like it will work well for your install.... wondering if the 5 ohm resistor near the center of the diagram has its polarity reversed, creating a somewhat modified DC non-sine wave?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I’m going to tear out all my obviously screwed up wiring and follow your schematic.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a 2015 with the ISRI USA (Isringhausen) swivel seats. See you have the same seats. Curious to see if you have good ones; my investigation into many others show a defect problem occurring up to mid 2016. Grab the headrest and see how loose the base is to see if your good. Have a look at what FCA says is "normal characteristic of swivel seats" (stupidest thing I ever heard).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rmBp4mmGuUB0lfw-Cc002HBqREw-HT6U/view
Could you look at the date of the inspection sticker next to the serial # (on the base) and let us know what you have (especially if they bad like mine)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a 2015 with the ISRI USA (Isringhausen) swivel seats. See you have the same seats. Curious to see if you have good ones; my investigation into many others show a defect problem occurring up to mid 2016. Grab the headrest and see how loose the base is to see if your good. Have a look at what FCA says is "normal characteristic of swivel seats" (stupidest thing I ever heard).
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rmBp4mmGuUB0lfw-Cc002HBqREw-HT6U/view
Could you look at the date of the inspection sticker next to the serial # (on the base) and let us know what you have (especially if they bad like mine)
This probably doesn't have to be in every thread someone mentions having swivel seats.

Especially since you already PMd me and asked me about it (and I responded) last month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts