Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2015 PM 2500 159WB a couple weeks ago. Looking at windows and am looking for some input on window selection. I like that the CRL match up nicely with the windows in the back doors of the van. I like the slider/vent windows on the Motion. I like that the Motion comes with templates for radius and such. Thanks. Tres Rios ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bought my 2015 PM 2500 159WB a couple weeks ago. Looking at windows and am looking for some input on window selection. I like that the CRL match up nicely with the windows in the back doors of the van. I like the slider/vent windows on the Motion. I like that the Motion comes with templates for radius and such. Thanks. Tres Rios ;)
I just installed a small (35.75" x 9.75") Motion sliding window, and I can tell you that it's a very nicely made product. It did not come with a template, I made one with cardboard. My window is single glazed, but they do offer dual glazing as well. I had considered the large CRL fixed with the two awning vents below, but elected to keep it smaller and with simpler (far fewer moving parts) operation.

It might be helpful to mention approximate size and location you are considering.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I decided on Motion because of the quality and cost of the window. I also thought there would be more air flow with the slider type. I have them at the house but not installed yet.

The order process was smooth but it did take over a month before they could build them. I looked at that as a good thing too as they seem to be in demand.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
I went with the CRL. They cost more but look more like the factory widows which I desired. I got the Tee version and the bottom windows swing out by twisting the handles on the inside. They did not come with a template but the inside frame is easy to use to trace to the shipping box. Installed it in about 2.5 hours. You will likely need someone to hold it for 2-3 minutes until you get a couple of screws in.

See this for pics and install info

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=556033&postcount=490

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone. The factory look is appealing and airflow is also very appealing. much to consider when building one of these babies huh???! Cheers ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Poor Customer Service

I ordered my Motion Windows on 04/27/18 and was given this for expected ship date:

Estimated Ship Date*: Thursday 06/21/2018 - Monday 06/25/2018

I know it is an estimate, but expected some kind of contact if they couldn't even meet a ship date 59 days out. Especially when they charge your credit card immediately. I think I have 60 days to initiate a charge-back and will need to do so tomorrow if my inquiry doesn't get a response as to updated ship date.

Don't know about the quality of the product, but I can't say much for two months and nothing shipped and no contact from company. I wish I would have seen a post like this two months ago and I would have gone elsewhere.

Oh well... they got my money for free for three months. Two months before initiating charge-back and an investigation will probably take another month.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
WisconsinEd, have you tried calling them? They could have made their shipping target (June 21-25) but still be in transit today (June 25). Excellent product, but the wait can be a bummer. Be sure to watch the install videos on their website.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I ordered my Motion Windows on 04/27/18 and was given this for expected ship date:

Estimated Ship Date*: Thursday 06/21/2018 - Monday 06/25/2018

I know it is an estimate, but expected some kind of contact if they couldn't even meet a ship date 59 days out. Especially when they charge your credit card immediately. I think I have 60 days to initiate a charge-back and will need to do so tomorrow if my inquiry doesn't get a response as to updated ship date.

Don't know about the quality of the product, but I can't say much for two months and nothing shipped and no contact from company. I wish I would have seen a post like this two months ago and I would have gone elsewhere.

Oh well... they got my money for free for three months. Two months before initiating charge-back and an investigation will probably take another month.
Did your windows ever show up? I was just about to order some when I saw this...

·
Registered
7 Posts
All ended well.

Did your windows ever show up? I was just about to order some when I saw this...

I received my windows and all is well. The quality was good and installation was easy. Can't understand a company that will carry a consistent 60+ day backlog instead of managing operations better. A game of musical chairs where someday they may go out of business and you will be past the date where you can initiate a chargeback. I believe a reputable company wouldn't charge card until they were ready to ship.

By the way, I read how many made templates and went through all these extra steps to install. I did it differently:

You start by removing the vertical supports where the windows will go. Sliding door requires angle-grinder with cutting wheel. Don't stress about exactly where you cut it. When you insert interior trim piece, you will see where you want it and use grinding wheel to get it perfect. Other three supports are easy. Drill the four spot welds on each one and it pops off.

1) Measured height and width of window where it would fit in hole.
2) Measured height and width where it was to go.
3) Took the difference, cut it in half and measured in from edges and drew horizontal and vertical lines.
4) Used radius template printed from their website to draw in corners.
5) Drilled 8 holes marking where straightaways ended and curves began.
6) Drew my horizontal and vertical lines on outside.
7) Used radius template to draw corners on outside.
8) Covered with blue tape to protect while cutting.
9) Taped plastic to inside to catch metal particles while cutting.
10) Cutting on outside of my lines gave me perfect gap with tiny amount for fine tuning fit.
11) Cleaned edges of hole with file. Real quick - doesn't need to be perfect.
12) Applied rust-preventative paint to edges of hole.
13) Clean window where foam tape goes with paint thinner.
14) Apply foam tape. 1/2" overlap goes on bottom.
15) Clean around hole on outside of van. Spray liberally with glass cleaner leaving wet.
16) Insert window. You are able to make small adjustments right after spraying down!
17) Pick a reference edge on outside of van and measure to verify window is even.
18) Go inside and attach a couple screws to inner trim.
19) Verify level and finish attaching inner trim.

I tried to make a template and found it hard to cut one out accurately. Then a template is no good if you don't center it well. Seemed much more accurate to do it my way. There was zero tolerance for not being centered horizontally on sliding door. By measuring in equally on each side, my fit was perfect and the trim touched both edges. If you aren't centered, you will need to try to tuck the trim edge under the metal. The other three windows are more forgiving and you don't need to be perfect.

So there it is. The windows are nice, but you have to decide if you are comfortable with how they do business.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So there it is. The windows are nice, but you have to decide if you are comfortable with how they do business.
Certainly is odd. If the windows are popular enough to have a constant backlog then it would seem to make way more sense to make some extra hires so you can eventually have stock on hand of these. If machinery is the limitation most banks would have no issue giving loans if you can show them stacked months of paid orders.

Really dont know what the situation is. Charging the card a month or more before shipping is not the way to go. Personally I love the looks of these windows. But Tern windows are about the same price if I want acrylic. And CRLs arent that different in price and are usually in stock.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,604 Posts
Their other business is called One Day Glass, go figure.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If I wanted a van with a "street" look, I'd probably go CLR, but I prefer Motion windows for their "adventure vehicle" look. I just contacted Motion and they said 60 days to fulfill the order. It is what it is, so you either accept it or go with another outfit. I have no problem with this or paying up front.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,837 Posts
“If I wanted a van with a "street" look, I'd probably go CLR, but I prefer Motion windows for their "adventure vehicle" look.”

Mack, you put into words what I didn’t have words for. I really, really like my MW.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I dont doubt their quality. But paying for something that expensive upfront and waiting 60 days hoping it ships is a insane business practice. They must be running on fumes as far as operating capital goes.

I suspect the owner of Tern windows could put in a new order from China and still have the window to you before 60 days.

These arent rocket ships afterall. They are pretty basic windows. Are they against expanding their business? Struggling to meet payroll each week is the only explanation I can come up with as to why they would still be running on a 60 day backlog after all these years

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry, but I really feel that this is much ado about nothing. CRL keeps standard units in stock, so they ship quick. Motion builds to order, so they don't ship 'quick'. My Motion window took three weeks to get, it was perfect, it is very well made. It seems that some here are condemning an excellent manufacturer with (until now) a strong following, for one slow order. This is the nature of manufacturing sometimes, it doesn't mean they are "running on fumes". Much of what they make is custom-how many of those would you keep on the shelf if you ran that business? What sizes would you keep on the shelf? How many people would you hire and train?

See how they're made, starting about 1:10
https://www.motionwindows.com/how-to-videos/

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm pretty sure Motion is experiencing an overwhelming amount of orders due to the van life movement and introduction of Promasters to the market, but that's no need to change your business structure. They probably have expanded to try and meet the demand. They say they will build custom, and orders need to be placed before they know what yours desires are. From all the reviews I've heard, all were 100% positive. Will be going Motion due to being a small company that puts out a superior product which I desire.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts