Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
409 Posts
I want more light for creeping down two tracks late at night looking for camp spots.

But but but -- where would one put one of these monstrosities on the front of a PM?

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts
How about this update of a long time favorite? Hunting is it’s thing.

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
How about this update of a long time favorite? Hunting is it’s thing.
Did you get one RD? If you did, how does it perform? Do you have a link for it?

I was thinking of getting something like this during the planning stages of my van.

Not sure how "unstealthy" it makes my van look. It will no longer look like a non-descript contractor van. ...could make it look like an undercover police vehicle.

If anyone's used one of these before, could they comment on how useful it is and how easy it is to use?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Strange how things work... I've installed them on my last 4 vehicle builds and have them for my current van project as well. As a matter of fact, I am on this forum at this moment because today I am deciding if I am going to do the police spotlights first or the light bar and additional lighting around all sides of our roof rack.

I was hoping to do the lightbar first which will be wired into the auxiliary switches/upfitter ports (I think) but wanted some creative ways of getting the wire from the roof to the inside besides running from the top front (lightbar) to the rear camera housing and then into the van and all the way back to the front again.....

The spotlights are awesome.. I've used them at work for 25 years and have illuminated some rather interesting incidents.

They are made by UNITY (www.UnityUSA.com) and you can order an installation kit which helps. They come with a template and a sleeve for drilling and the first time is a heart pounder. I've done the installation several times and yes, always a little anxious when it comes to drilling 1/2" holes in the van's body.

Here are some pointers: Buy a new, quality metal drill bit (I think it's 1/2"). Don't use the stainless screws that come with the kit to mount the bracket -- they are too small and don't have meaty enough threads... take the housing to the hardware store and get the largest ones that will fit. Have some touch-paint to brush onto the gaping hole you will make and also purchase some clear silicone sealant or equivalent to waterproof the screws and bracket. Be careful not to over torque the screws.

When I install mine on the van I'll document it here.

·
Premium Member
8,672 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I want more light for creeping down two tracks late at night looking for camp spots.

But but but -- where would one put one of these monstrosities on the front of a PM?
I custom fabbed some mounting hardware for a Rigid Industries 12231 E2-Series 20" Driving/Hyperspot Combo LED Light Bar (bought for $450 on Amazon during a sale) and installed it sub-flush behind the grill. It's very effective. Though, I'm thinking of roof mounting a rear-facing one for backing up and camping. Let me know if you need any pointers.

https://imgur.com/a/2o0CmAV

·
Registered
66 Posts
I custom fabbed some mounting hardware for a Rigid Industries 12231 E2-Series 20" Driving/Hyperspot Combo LED Light Bar (bought for $450 on Amazon during a sale) and installed it sub-flush behind the grill. It's very effective. Though, I'm thinking of roof mounting a rear-facing one for backing up and camping. Let me know if you need any pointers.

Hi, where did the steering fluid radiator get moved to? Or did your van not have one where the light bar is located?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a Diesel 2500 if that makes a difference and did not have to relocate any steering fluid radiator/cooler. Before installing the light bar there was an empty cavity in front of the radiator and above the bumper support beam. Hope that helps.

Hi, where did the steering fluid radiator get moved to? Or did your van not have one where the light bar is located?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts