Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've been on a few trips and our cabinet was functional, contents even survived North Carolina Hwy 28, the notorious 'Dragon' with some crazy number of turns in 15 miles, like over 200. But our bungie system for food items was temporary.
Yesterday the cabinet received sliding doors and a hinged door.
Behind the sliding doors are food items. Behind the hinged door plates, bowls, coffee machine. We feel the 'industrial-euro' look is continued in these mods-

Soon enough Poof will begin addressing the crown area of wall/ceiling. I think I'll leave town when she does :)
Here's a wide angle of the cabinet position-

·
Registered
815 Posts
Beautiful rig !!! That van looks like a joy to use . The 80/20 now looks good.
Pick up sticks ? Lose them like I lose my empties : open slider and make a hard left at speed . . . out the door they go !!!
We joined about the same time , the progress you and the lovely and talented Poof have made is incredible . 4 months !!! And your photographs .
I look forward to your posts as inspiration to make progress on mine.
But the C pillar . ? . Bro ?
What about a thermo plastic that covers the raw pillar ? A plastic (TAP PLASTICS) that you mold to cover the contours of the pillar. I have a heat gun that has infinite settings to warm plastics to conformability. (or a hair drier?).
In the picture is a sheet of leftover plastic that I heated and bent 90' , heated and made a bulge over the cord on the gang box and bulge at the circuit breaker button . Also bulged the OEM B pillar cover to clear the 110v extension cords .Hard to see in the picture though .

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
In the old E I put some cabinet/gate latches to prevent to doors from being opened from outside (boogeymen) when the windows were open . Cheep sliding bolt type.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But the C pillar . ? . Bro ?
I'm only consultant on the C-pillar and the crown!
She's got two more tiny projects on the cabinet--the cubbies at the back of the desk
and another little door to the right of the microwave to hide the paper towel roll.
Then I'll get pinged with possibilities.
Me, I'd go for thermoplastic.
When I do get asked all I'll try to reinforce in her mind is weight. From the beginning we
wanted a clean euro-industrial look but we also wanted a super lightweight build.
Example, the wall and ceiling panels came with diamond plate for the crown area. I pretty
much nixed that idea in her mind due to the weight reasons cited; it's just such seriously stout
metal and no need for that.
Now years ago I worked with 6 inch thick foam board, embedded elastomeric paint and fiberglass
cloth onto the foam board and then thin troweled 1/2 elastomeric paint 1/2 cement onto the cloth
then stamped design (shell) elements into the thin set. The result was super lightweight and very
strong. The same could be done to 2 inch foam board for that pillar but (harkening back to the insulation
stage) she is against any type of foam board :( I even explained that I can 'sculpt' the back of the foam
board to fit the irregularities of the pillar surface......

Regardless of substrate chosen there will be a lot of this pattern on the crown and this was chosen even
back in the Sketchup days before the mass ordering began; whether this pattern gets on the pillars I don't
know, that's artiste' Poof's decision-

Thinking back to the goals here's another shot of the workspace for two; so far it has worked a charm
for not only both of us to do our photography thing but also the expected food prep/cooking, vodka bar
and while cruising down the road Milo (the cat) sleeps there!
And while I'm pontificating I'd like to say that the biggest thing I like about our build is the 5 feet of clear
space between the bed-shelf-slidemaster area and the swivel chairs.

Slipping in a pic developed in the camper-
[/url]Shrouded pink grace by MedicineMan4040, on Flickr[/img]

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ball catches probably not the best idea for the sliding doors. Maybe a sash lock ?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ball Catch ... genius ! Will keep those in mind as I progress. Really like the digital camo too. I did my daughters Transit Connect camper curtains in a Navy color scheme to match the dark grey-blue interior. Looks very pleasing so the PM gets the same treatment . The old E has 6 color desert to compliment the Chestnut guts. I do prefer the "warmer" tans,browns ,etc. to "colder" greys and blues . But the digital does blend into the backdrop . (camo)
In elementry school shop class they had us make dufus bowls out of terrycloth over some nails on a board and slather it up with polyester resin , hummm ?

·
Super Moderator
10,485 Posts
Yes they work great but a real pits to put in. You can get them in 6 packs from Amazon for a few bucks - not as well made but just as good!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
I have found that if I put in one of the screws on the post piece, I can align the clip piece, screw it in and the put the second post screw in. It would be easier if you could climb in the cabinet and work from the backside, but...after a few mis-alignments, I'm pretty good at it now. I have them on 10 cabinet doors, and so far, they all stay shut while on the road.

·
Registered
815 Posts
The old E has sliding doors with finger holes instead of knobs all over. The tracks are plastic channels, much friction. Here is an idea : finger holes that the ball goes in. Finger pushes ball, finger then slides door. Holes on opposite door ends. In your case put the ball at a 90' to the slide door. Put the indent on the inside of the door. Forget the "finger".
MM you give me great ideas for my PM .

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
shortone mentioned a sash catch. I just realized that I have a really big sliding doors in my build - my pocket doors. I used a sash catch and it works well because the parts are easy to mount, and the lever really holds the catch secure.

I change my vote to a sash catch!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts