Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 diesel. So far it has been great. I am curious how many owners have signed up for the Mopar extended warranty. As I understand you have one year from date of purchase to decide.

·
Registered
625 Posts
We decided against it. The numbers presented to us at the dealer finance office just didn't seem to work out too well. Yeah, its a gamble, but oh well...

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'd like to know what they offer too. When I inquired about a Dodge Grand Caravan, you could buy a lifetime warranty for about $3600. That's a big plus for low mileage drivers who want to keep the vehicle 10+ years. Don't know if RAM offers lifetime for commercial vehicles though.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I'd like to know what they offer too. When I inquired about a Dodge Grand Caravan, you could buy a lifetime warranty for about $3600. That's a big plus for low mileage drivers who want to keep the vehicle 10+ years. Don't know if RAM offers lifetime for commercial vehicles though.
Bumper to bumper for 7 years or 100,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Our 5 year 100,000 mile drivetrain mileage should be enough until the vehicle has proven itself. We did not buy an extended warranty. 36,000/3yr bumper to bumper on the rest should be fine to find any defects too. BTW FCA has announced that the 2016's will drop to 50,000 miles on drivetrain, I believe. That's a big decrease. If I were to order a 2016 I would consider it more. In my experience failures seem to happen in the first 25K or the engine goes for 200K or more. Automatic transmissions may be more limited and 50K would not be enough to make me feel the stock warranty was much good.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
What is a little more spooky is how they define "drivetrain." It basically is only internal. Only parts that touch oil are covered after 36k.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Wiring harnesses & control modules alone (other than the pollution control warranty items) were enough for me to spring for 7/75 and I may rework that into the 10/120 since it transfers...
That was my thinking too. My biggest concern was emissions control. The 100,000 just gives me a little peace of mind.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My new 16 is due in sometime between This next week and next month. It's either @ the rail yard in Laredo, or @ the body shop in Mx. Will let ya'll know when I get it what the warranty actually is. If it's only 50k, I'm gonna make em give me the 100.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
190 Posts
I just picked up my gas high extended three days ago and did go for the 60k, 7yr mopar warranty. I normally don't touch them but in this case the total cost to me was $600 ($500 + 7% tax on the $1,500 total price). The salesman apparently had some extra 'Ram bucks' and kicked in $1,000 toward an extended warranty. I'm going to convert it for use as a camper and miles will be low - 9k a year is more than adequate. I'll post some details of my plans soon. Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,529 Posts
$600 is probably what the dealer actually pays for it!

A good deal for you tho - congrats!

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
That warranty change is a bit spooky. What do they know that we don't?
Not really spooky. It seems all the manufacturers are rolling back their warrantees to 3 yrs/36,000 so FCA has no motivation to have a longer one.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I dont know about the Ram extended warranties, but when I bought a Scion in 09, I turned down the Toyota Genuine EW at time of purchase and soon after found out that you could buy it from ANY dealer.
And they all had different prices and all negotiated too...
On the forum. a dealership in NJ was recommended as the cheapest, so I bought it from them.
Same Genuine Toyota EW as any and my dealer were selling.
Shop around if you decide to buy.
Personally, I didnt get one for my 136" low 2014.
good luck

·
Registered
15 Posts
When I grabbed my '14 diesel I stood tall declining an add on warranty. Myself and my father (new car buying mentor) both agreed it was a waste. I had read cost to dealer to be 900. After declining twice price came down from 3000+ to 1200. I went with it in a last ditch effort I got salesman'd. I'm not upset. In fact I'm happy about my overall purchase. Though still well under factory warranty my dealer just let me know my new speakers were in because I had a blown one.

Never had a new vehicle. But bumper to bumper 100k feels really good.

·
Registered
810 Posts
When I grabbed my '14 diesel I stood tall declining an add on warranty. Myself and my father (new car buying mentor) both agreed it was a waste. I had read cost to dealer to be 900. After declining twice price came down from 3000+ to 1200. I went with it in a last ditch effort I got salesman'd. I'm not upset. In fact I'm happy about my overall purchase. Though still well under factory warranty my dealer just let me know my new speakers were in because I had a blown one.

Never had a new vehicle. But bumper to bumper 100k feels really good.
Thats a good price for a 100k b2b!!good job to your dad for fostering your negiotiating skills

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first vehicle purchase was mostly luck. I didn't need the van I wanted it. They offered me a bad price and 14%apr, so I said (completely honestly) "well I guess I can't afford it. Thanks, sorry for wasting your time". They called me back in about 45 minutes and gave me a great price and found me an insanely good apr.

I'm not into playing games when it comes to what I do. I let them know that. Very happy with my van and dealer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts