Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I've officially started this build.
I've started the sound and insulation, using multilayers of materials using aluminum tape, spray adhesive and 1" double sided mounting tape (used over 200 ft just on the roof alone)
1" foam
3/16" closed cell foam to sandwich the mass loaded vinyl
Propex or EZcool
sound mat
Foam duct insulation
Thinsulate 1/2" (will be applying this in multilayers after the wiring is completed)
I will spray foam all the voids prior to paneling.
I've ordered a Onan 2800 generator and decided to install a portable two hose
ac instead of a roof air to keep it stealth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I will be watching this closely. Thanks for contributing. I know your build will be well thought out.

Could you describe the order in which you are placing the materials you have chosen? Like in these photos what has been installed thus far?

I too have decided on an internal A/C. I'm going to order the Autoclima U-Go: http://www.u-gofresco.com/en/

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On the lower side walls its:
25% sound mat butyl rubber
3/16" closed cell
MLV
3/16" closed cell
Propex
1" foam
I'll be adding more after the wiring is done

upper wall so far:
100% sound mat butyl rubber
Foam duct insulation
Sleeping area of the sidewalls will only have about 11/2" of insulation mostly Thinsulate to maximize the sleeping area.
Wheel wells so far are 100% sound mat butyl rubber ,3/16" closed cell, MLV. I'll be adding another layer of 3/16" closed cell then Thinsulate then Propex to protect the Thinsulate.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Exhaust Mod

Just rerouted the exhaust from the last muffler out and along the side dumping ahead of the leaf spring mount. No more tail pipe.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I believe MsNomer is asking why you decided to do 100% coverage with sound mat? And by sound mat I assume you used Fat Mat, Dynamat, etc.

I believe the accepted rule is no more than 50% of the panel needs to be covered to be effective.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not mat, foil covered foam, I didn't put sound mat on the ceiling because not much sound comes in through the roof.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It's not mat, foil covered foam, I didn't put sound mat on the ceiling because not much sound comes in through the roof.
I did my ceiling in Second Skin Damplifier (similar to dynamat). 2" strips in the ridges (filling the high spots). I was amazed how much quieter that alone made the roof. It really quieted down wind noise from my rack and seriously dulled rain noise.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again, its not sound mat, its foil covered closed cell foam. This is the first layer of insulation until I get it wired.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What was the motivation to re-route your exhaust system? Noise? I ask because I installed the Curt rear hitch and it comes within an inch of the stock exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Multiple reasons, moved it outboard for tanks fitment, makes generator installation easier and cleaner.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Great insulation ideas and planning. I will be looking for these products soon! Thnx

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up buying 10mm aerogel insulation on ebay to do the roof. Quite pricey but you gain headroom keeping all the insulation on the roof at around 1".

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

Installed (2) rear view cameras, One pointed down and one pointed out with a 7" screen mounted to the rear view mirror.
Installed the power step.
Installed seat swivels.
Been adding multiple coats of ceramic insulating paint to undercarriage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a couple questions about the seat swivels. Where did you get them? Is there a noticeable difference in seat height/comfort after installation? Any problems with airbag dash warnings? Are you pleased with the operation of the swivels? I got tired of waiting for the factory swivels and ordered my van without them.

1 - 20 of 171 Posts