Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2014 PM3500 159 EXT high roof, 3.6L Gasser
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got an underbody fresh water tank, and the stock sway bar is in the way. 159 ext ht.
I'm already invested in beefing up /improving the suspension front and rear, with bilsteins b6 in the rear and either koni or bilstein in the front, as well as the heavy duty sumo springs which touch the rear leaf springs.

My question: is there any way to modify the stock sway bar mounting to give an extra 2-3" of clearance from the undercarriage? If not, is there an aftermarket sway bar that has a different mounting position? Like it mounts to the axle or behind the axle rather than in front of it? And, finally, if there is no way to mod or replace to make room for the tank, can i just do without? That is considering i have upgraded the stock rear shocks and added sumo springs?

I carry some heavier things like a 350lb enduro on a rack on the back, as well as all the camper stuff, with most of the weight from batteries, water, propane, etc. in the rear. I've done some research on a variety of sway bars, and most seem to mount ahead of the axle. I've also read some folks here saying that sway bar doesn't make as much of a difference as shocks. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I can't recall anyone removing the factory sway bar from their 3500. But 1500s and 2500s don't come with rear sway bars, and few have said they wished they had one. Most of the weight in a camper is, or should be, down low, so a sway bar is probably not as functional as it would be in a van hauling top-heavy cargo.

That said, our 3500ext conversion is near GVW and I think it handles great with just stock suspension. I can't say how much is due to the sway bar, but I do appreciate a little added protection (real or imagined) against loss of control and rollovers due to sudden swerves, road damage, etc. You sure there isn't a less invasive solution to the water tank jigsaw puzzle?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I added an OEM bar to my 118WB and it improved cornering stability significantly without affecting the ride so I can't imagine removing it.

·
Registered
2014 PM3500 159 EXT high roof, 3.6L Gasser
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, id very much like to keep the sway bar and the water tank if there is a way to do both. Im wondering if adding a steel block between the frame and the sway bar mounts would give me the space needed without hurting the function of the bar. Im no pro with suspension geometry/dynamics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts