Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This PMC Wagon is my daily driver, and is normally empty. But I have some rather unique hauling situations I get into. So I had to set up the cargo area to suit those strange situations.

First, and most basic, I put eye bolts in the back corners. The bolts go through a nut and washer on top, then 1/2" plywood, then the factory carpet, then the floor, then two more washers and a locknut on the underside.

I wanted to do something similar at the front of the cargo area, but the sliding door mechanism makes bolting through the floor difficult. So I just welded two huge honkin' stainless washers together, and used the seatbelt anchor bolt to hold one of them.

Along the side, I have an old first aid kit with straps, gloves, zip-ties, and other emergency things. Next to that is a canvas drop cloth (which you'll see again later) and then a black first aid kit (removable) with more supplies. Along with those, you'll see the steel brackets I made for "smuggler" mode.

The steel brackets allow three 2x4s to rest across the cargo area. The 2x4s are cut to the same length, so it doesn't matter which one goes where. One of the pieces of wood has hooks along the underside, so I can hang small things from it, and they won't slide around the cargo area.

The tops of the 2x4s are at the height of the back seat, when the seats are folded and flipped. Shown here: 8' long fluorescent tubes resting on the wood and the seat, extending into the front seat area.

The height of the 2x4 shelf also comes right up to the bottom of the windows, so a carefully draped canvas drop cloth (or cleverly cut sheet goods like plywood) can cover everything in the cargo area, and make it invisible to prying eyes.

It also means small things like tools can be put on the floor, while larger things like ladders, sheet goods, lumber, coffee tables, etc can go on the shelf above, and the small stuff can be accessed independently of the large stuff.

Also, the forward-most 2x4 lands directly behind the backseat, when the seat is set up for sitting, so one could carry a driver, 4 passengers, and still smuggle things under the drop cloth in the back.

Next steps: I'd like to figure out some kind of hinged or collapsible pieces to replace the 2x4, that would be easy to store off to one side when not in use. I am also considering gluing a bunch of old newspapers and cardboard to the drop cloth, so I can make it look like the van is full of garbage.

That's all I got for now.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,702 Posts
Good ideas for the City crowd!

It's kinda like a double-decker bus, only smaller. Looks like you could get a 4x8 sheet in there if cut in half either lengthwise or widthwise.

Or, for a quick nap.......

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
I'm 40 miles from MX so don't say [email protected]#&er here! I have an old 4 Runner with a sleeping platform with drawers for camp stuff underneath. Probably been through the border patrol checkpoints 150 times and have never been asked what is under that false floor!

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
Just what (or who) is under there? Inquiring minds want to know:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good ideas for the City crowd!

It's kinda like a double-decker bus, only smaller. Looks like you could get a 4x8 sheet in there if cut in half either lengthwise or widthwise.

Or, for a quick nap.......

Ed
I've definitely thought about the possibility of napping under there. Also, just for the curious, I measured 76.5" from the back of the headrests to the inside of the rear door. I measured 17" between the head rests.

Just what (or who) is under there? Inquiring minds want to know:)
One of the reasons I have a van like this:

This is my booth at an arts festival, where I sell iPhone amplifiers made from old brass horns. In the past, because I had a truck, I made the furniture for the booth into crates that hold the horns. But when I get to town the day before a festival, I have to set up the booth furniture without the horns. So I have to unpack all of the crates, take everything out of the truck, set up the booth, and take all of the horns indoors, because they can't stay in the truck overnight.

Now that I have this van, I can remake the booth furniture to look WAY better, and keep it all flat-packed on the top level, hiding the horns for transport. When I get to town, I can take everything off the top and set up the booth without disturbing the inventory below.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I de-badged my PMC today. Most of the stuff (lower rear door, and both sides under the mirrors) came off with a credit card and a touch of GooGone. That stuff just looks clean once it's gone. The back door has a big chromed plastic ram logo that required some work to remove. The panel on the inside of the door is held on with some plastic christmas tree style plugs. Pulling carefully will remove the panel. Then on the inside of the door there are two 11mm nuts. The plastic trim comes off, and then the logo is held on with a single little nut and a huge piece of double-sided tape. Taking that off left a big blank space and two little holes, so I had to come up with a space filler.

The front has a smaller version of the same thing, and I didn't feel like spending all day taking the grille off the front of the van, so I just pried it off with the credit card, which broke the logo. I don't mind breaking the logo, because I don't plan on putting it back ever. Then, of course, I had to fill that space too.

There's still a little ram logo on each wheel, and I'll probably just leave those there for a while.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Several of us have De-badged the vans. Why is that? This is the first vehicle I have considered doing it to. For me I dislike the RAM'n Ram. The Promaster stripes look like Craftsman labels, and even the term Promaster suggests I am a tradesman (I was once) who claimed to be a Pro and a Master. In my working life I always tried to exude modesty and let my work and reputation speak for me. Bragg'n wasn't my style, Ramm'n wasn't either.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I just didn't like the way they looked. I had considered re-badging as a Fiat Doblo, because I'm amused at the thought of someone else seeing my van and later trying to find one at the Fiat dealership. Also, my wife drives a white Fiat, so it would be kind of cool to have the pair.

But for now, I'm more excited about the anonymity. I kind of like the idea of being nondescript. Even on my days off, I wear jeans and a uniform shirt. Everywhere I go, people think I work there. I find comfort in that. This also helped drive me to purchase a white van, as opposed to one in fire engine red. It blends.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The PMC uses a different front bumper than the Doblo, believe you me, Ive already thought about the Fiat badges just to mess with people even more.
I'll get the frequent " woah, what kind of van is that?" " oh, its a ram pro master city " " a ram?" " yes, its a chrysler product " " oh its a dodge?" " no, its labeled as a ram, but its really a Fiat" " oh, its weird looking"

·
Registered
437 Posts
Those little faces are creepy cool. What are they?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I removed badges for 2 REASONS
1) if you let your van not to be washed for ~10days you will see gray-water signs below badges.
2) Easy to wax without badges.

Expirience of proofffff , own a Sprinter-2500 for ~8years with badges

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Those little faces are creepy cool. What are they?
Thanks! They are cast resin baby heads. I made a rubber mold of a doll face, then cast these pieces in a plastic resin. Then I sprayed them with bedliner and screwed them in place.

I do a lot of casting and mold making, so I had these things on hand. The resin goes from liquid to solid in just a couple of minutes, which makes it easy to put these things together on a whim.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any chance your interested in selling those? Or maybe some other creative designs?
I could be interested. I don't know if anyone would want to pay what I would ask, but I guess anything is possible. It would also depend on how much finishing the recipient would be willing to put into it. For example, it would be much easier for me to provide just the cast baby heads in white resin, and have the buyer sand the edges to fit the van, drill and mount, and spray with their own finish. For me to sand and shape the edges, drill holes, and spray... That would potentially triple the price.

I make and ship lots and lots of stuff, so the idea isn't really far out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Smuggle mode activated!

This is what I'm carrying:

I've got 32 horns of all different sizes. Im also carrying the tent and everything else needed for this booth:

Plus presents and packages to deliver along the way.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found a very simple solution to storing straps, bungees, gloves, rags, or anything else you need quick access to, just inside the rear doors.

It's a fabric panel made for custodial staff to hang off the side of the housekeeping cart. It's strong, has big pockets, and fits the PMC rear doors perfectly.

I found it online. It's called "5 Pockets Cart Caddy Bag".

As you can see, they hold lots of stuff, and it's easy to see where everything is immediately. Nothing is rolling around in the cargo area getting in the way. I had originally considered something like a Bucket Boss, but those have too many small pockets (for screwdrivers, etc) and I only wanted to store large things (ratchet straps, etc).

Bonus pic: this is what the inside of your door looks like:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts