Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys!

I'm new to the forum. I joined because I'm hoping all you pros can help me build my custom boutique on wheels. I'm building it all myself (I'm handy) but need some input as far as the materials are concerned.

Looking forward to chatting with y'all.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,661 Posts
Dana,

Welcome to the forum. The plan for your Promaster is a little different than most, but I'm sure you'll get some good ideas here.

Where are you in the process? Van bought? Graphics (they look nice!) on?

Might be a good idea to explain what you envision for the inside.... sales area, meeting area, travel accomodations, etc?

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
What are your requirements for heat/cooling? That will help to know how much if any insulation you need. If its a delivery van very little but if it is the boutique with customers it must be comfortable. That 136" high top is a great starting point. Share. We'll give feedback. Welcome.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Thank you for your quick replies. I kept my message short and sweet because I wasn't sure anyone was going to see it - was saving all the juicy details for a new thread.

I have hunted down a 2016 ProMaster 136 about 2 hours from me so I don't have to wait the 4 months for a custom built one. I'm hoping to sign the papers no later than January 9th and have the inside finished by the end of the month. I'll be using the van as a mobile store with displays - it will also serve as my office.

Insulation: I'm not sure what style/brand to use. I'm trying to keep costs low because I'm personally funding this entire project... but I need my clients to be comfortable and my products undamaged by heat/cold. I might have to splurge here. ((What would you recommend?))

Flooring: I'm thinking about laying down plywood and installing a wood laminate flooring over that.

Walls: There are two ways I can go here - the cheap route & what I actually want:
A. The cheap route - plywood and finish it with faux silver leaf
B. What I would REALLY like is a shiny fiberglass/plastic look. Shiny white. http://bit.ly/1QSplIj
Or something like this: http://bit.ly/1IBFWIj ((what are these two materials?))

Lighting: I was originally going to run all the wiring for lights behind my walls but I realized I will probably change the layout/style of my store to keep it fresh every two years and I'd hate to have to rip out walls. So I'll be installing 2 LED light strips on the ceiling and run their power from the side cargo lamp. Probably cover them with conduit and paint.

Shelving/Desk The store will have one main shelving system on the drivers side wall that I will have to attach with U-brackets. In front of the back doors, I will install a desk and a faux wall.

This has changed many times - especially since I moved down to the shorter model and I'm working with a wonky design program. But this kinda gives you an idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

·
Registered
90 Posts
All doable, but you'll be pressed to finish it that quickly.
A few more details would help:
- will you be able to plug in to "shore" electric power where you stop, or will the van need to be self-sufficient? This will make a huge difference regarding electrical setup.
- how long will you be setting up in one place (i.e. how long will you need to run heat/cooling, if at all)?

I'll let the experts recommend insulation, as there are so many options, but the common lesser expensive one seems to be Thinsulate and Reflectix. There are numerous other choices though, depending on how involved you want to get.

Conduit can be run in the walls as a pipe for wiring, so you could pre-wire so that changes could be made relatively easily later on without removing walls.

Thin plywood can be dressed up with fabric covering and would look fine on the walls if you wanted to keep the cost down. Otherwise there are a number of plastic materials which would save some weight and might be easier to cut and install, depending on skill level.

You'll be busy in January!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All doable, but you'll be pressed to finish it that quickly.
A few more details would help:
- will you be able to plug in to "shore" electric power where you stop, or will the van need to be self-sufficient? This will make a huge difference regarding electrical setup.
- how long will you be setting up in one place (i.e. how long will you need to run heat/cooling, if at all)?
Thank you!
The van will need to be self-sufficient.

I will be driving it to different locations, leaving it parked while I'm inside to do a 1-2hr demonstration. There will be about another hour to bring my clients onto the van to shop. So I am thinking I'd need to keep that van to hold a comfortable temp for about 4 hours.

During the winter/summer, I need the inside temp to get no colder than freezing and no warmer than about 90 degrees to keep my inventory from degrading while I'm not using it.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,705 Posts
You probably want your inventory to be in easily removable containers. No matter how good the insulation, inside temp will approach ambient pretty soon when you are not using the van--warmer than ambient under summer sun. I envision perhaps units on casters that can be rolled in/out on a ramp. Some camping units work this way, allowing quick conversion between camper and cargo van.

If you complete that interior in 3 weeks, we will crown you "Promaster Queen."

If you don't get the van til Jan 9, what is the photo of?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Well I LOVE a challenge! I would seriously put a plaque in the van!!
That photo is a digital rendering I drew up. It's just one of 3 designs I'm debating over for the wrap. It might take me a bit longer to get that part done - I've been quoted 4K... SHEEEESH!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would think as a commercial buyer you would get a credit for upfit graphics. Might be worth talking to dealer. At least you should be getting $1k discount as a business buyer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would think as a commercial buyer you would get a credit for upfit graphics. Might be worth talking to dealer. At least you should be getting $1k discount as a business buyer.
I thought about that - but my APR is much higher (over 2X) on my loan if I apply as a business. I was really excited about an upfit bonus - until they told me I couldn't get it if I purchased it under my name and not my business.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You might want to put "NSFW" next to the link in your signature. The purple monster might be a little much for the average corporate america environment. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well I LOVE a challenge! I would seriously put a plaque in the van!!
That photo is a digital rendering I drew up. It's just one of 3 designs I'm debating over for the wrap. It might take me a bit longer to get that part done - I've been quoted 4K... SHEEEESH!
The out-side Looks VERY impressive, 4K will pays for:eek:
The only my concern Black, but I am Floridian, and it is hot here.
I made my outside (picture) coated-protection by myself.
Also for a floor insulation I did utilize space under-van. This save original height inside. For walls and ceiling insulation I used canned spray-foam (Great-Staf), the only concern for canned foam its takes time. I made spray section by section, but van all time was drivable.

Elctr Power; If you like to be independent = power inverter and 3 extra batteries will help. Or, you may run (idling) yours van motor.
On my old Sprinter van I did run (idling) motor a lot for a sleep time for AC run in hot weather, most of a time ~8h for night sleep.

Looking forward to see your progress:x

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I finally got the email stating that my PM is on its way from Mexico to Ohio. Maybe I should have just use bought used - haha! Now that reality is setting in, I am starting to FREAK OUT.

I think I have down how to insulate but I am really working about making sure I put the walls up correctly. I have seen photos of people who made a "Frame" between the beams to attach the wood panels to -- but I can't find anywhere that shows me a good layout for those wood posts or even hot to attach them to the frame. UGH. I know I can do this but I'm low on resources.

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
8,832 Posts
Dana,
I believe you should use as little "framing" as possible. If you plan to attach panels to the walls insualte the walls first with at least one inch of Polyisocyanurate ridgid foam from Lowes or Home Depot and then you may be able to attach the panesl with just plastic plugs that have been found by some posters here: http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44473

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 2 of the build has come to an end. So far, I have the Reflectix, foam and denim up... plywood and insulation down on the floor. I'm doing pretty well on time, I'd say. I stil have a ton of wiring to take care of for my display cabinets, the flooring and finishes. I still think I can get this done in 7 days so I can be crowned ProMaster Queen! <3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Claiming my crown

I DID IT!!!! I completed the entire conversion in 7 days!!! Well, It will be 7.5 days. I have everything done - just need a couple more brackets to hang one last shelf but since it's the 4th of July, everything is closed. I will be going tomorrow to get those final pieces and she's DONE!!! I have been documenting the build at http://Instagram.com/pureromanceboutique. Does this mean I get crowned PROMSTER QUEEN?? ;);););). I'll be posting videos and photos tomorrow before I drive her home to Ohio.

You probably want your inventory to be in easily removable containers. No matter how good the insulation, inside temp will approach ambient pretty soon when you are not using the van--warmer than ambient under summer sun. I envision perhaps units on casters that can be rolled in/out on a ramp. Some camping units work this way, allowing quick conversion between camper and cargo van.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts