Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have excessive side view mirror vibration? 80 plus & the driver’s side mirror makes a racket. Gonna take it in but not sure if the stealership can duplicate the problem at those (illegal) speeds. Appreciate any feedback…

·
Registered
756 Posts
Don't say speeding, say Interstate driving into a headwind or highway driving with gusty winds... Had the same problem only in certain weather and have not been able to duplicate it since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
No visible vibration to my mirrors at highway speeds, but definitely a wind howling noise is quite evident so I'm not surprised that others are having visible vibration issues.

Seems to be that the mirror shape creates vortices resulting in either making noises and or vibration for some. Probably no air tunnel tests were done as most commercial vehicles don't need to meet passenger vehicle mileage requirements (my understanding for vehicles here in Canada).

For [email protected] and giggles when on the prairie back roads I've activated the fold-in feature of my mirrors and the howling sound disappears immediately, so I know that it's the mirrors creating the noise

·
Registered
756 Posts
The mirrors vibration buzzing racket noise will drown out the door speaker at highway speed - there is no mistaking it... When it was happening to us the mirror retracted okay, noise went away but would not extend into normal position without slowing down to 15 or 20mph....

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Got my driver's side Mirror replaced on warranty last week. It has been vibrating since the last 3 months. Dealer had to order it in. Took a few months. Also sometimes it wouldn't retract.
Seems to be ok now!:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Both mirrors were replaced on mine, but I do still have some vibration in my driver side mirror at 45mph+. Not terrible, but I am not spending 2 hours on the road to visit my dealer over this one.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have the manual mirrors on my '14. Top speed so far was 70 mph. No desire to go faster. A little wind noise at that speed through the bracket gap. No problem though. Hope they can solve it for you! They are big mirrors. Noise may be unavoidable at speed.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Dealt with this problem recently.

For quite awhile the driver's side mirror has had some wiggle to it. A month ago I was headed down the Gorge into a 20-30mph headwind and the mirror shakes were BAD. Stopped and found some painter's tape in the van to hold it in place.

Awhile after getting home set up a time with the dealer to bring it in. No problem, they said something was loose, ended up replacing the entire housing (don't know for sure if that included the mirror part, but I think it did, it was shiny clean).

Great, now I'm ready for a stable view down the side of the van. Nope. Its not quite as bad, but it still has a pronounced shake to it above 45mph or so. The right side mirror is solid and steady. Left side, not so much.

Coming soon I'm off on a four week road trip, not sure I'll have time to get it back to the dealer again. Currently trying some minicell foam tucked along the edge to hold it steady. That might have to do until I get home.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Same problem with driver's side mirror. Dealer replaced it and it was actually worse. Vibration around 50 mph. I attached a self adhesive felt pad to the interior mirror housing where the mirror almost touches. It offers just enough resistance to stop the vibration and it doesn't strain the mirror motor if you need to adjust it. The pad is black so it blends right in.

·
Banned
413 Posts
This is clearly a prevalent issue. My driver's side mirror did this since new. Finally made an appt and had dealer look at it and replace it.

Got it back and it was still doing it. Looked over at passenger mirror and it looked shiny clean. Like it was new. Ultimately realized that dealer had replaced my passenger side mirror (which had never vibrated) and the new one actually vibrated!

Took it back and they fixed/replaced both. Driver's side still vibrated. Third try fixed it.

So, if you're keeping track, they had to replace both sides *twice* to get two that wouldn't vibrate.

·
Registered
371 Posts
My passenger mirror is rock steady. The drivers one has some movement at 70 mph. Had been thinking of asking the dealer about it until I read this thread. I will probably use 2much2c fix and add a felt pad to dampening the vibration.

·
Registered
756 Posts
2014 power mirrors (not tow width) while on Interstate driving into a 25-40mph headwind, the drivers side mirror goes into oscillation where it overpowers the door speaker and sounds like its going to tear/shatter the glass. Reported it to dealer, who of course could not duplicate it, no action taken, the thieving buzzards.

·
Registered
37 Posts
We had this noise for a while but after we open and closed mirrors a few times it went away? we actually took it to the dealer but they said they did nothing to it? These are the side racks that we use on the side of our van they're the best racks weever found it seems that after we put these new generation racks on there was no vibration maybe just a coincidence? anyway you may be interested in racks for the side of your vans these of the best. www.surfracksmbc.com

·
Registered
201 Posts
3rd try is not a charm. Took my PM in to get some warranty work done and decided that they should replace the passenger side mirror again because it still vibrates. Well, mirror #3 and vibrates like the rest.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine was replaced twice same **** & my warrantee is expired. Gonna go with the black foam trick...

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I had them replace the drives mirror, no heat or folding. They were happy to do it but the replacement vibrated worse than the first one. I reached out and decided it wasn't tight against the van door. I pulled the interior trim, took my torx set and tightened it until it couldn't move! I think I got it good now. It’s easy to check, go outside and wiggle the mirror and watch the frame against the door. If it moves tighten it!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Well since you asked.
Here is the panel. I managed to remove it without any tools but the dealer had done so a few days before. Pry the forward edge out then pull the whole panel forward to release the rear edge.

Then these 4 screws need to be tight. They thread into the mirror and can be tightened quite hard.

Reactions: Roblee
1 - 19 of 19 Posts