Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations on minimum opening width for the slider side doorway with a cabinet projecting from the back toward the front? So the space to exit the van side between the door post and the cabinet side. (Yellow tape in pic)

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd go at least shoulder width. Gives more than enough space for your waist to move comfortably and you'll be less likely to bang an elbow. If you're willing to squeeze and shimmy, could go smaller but I'd imagine that get old real fast.

I imagine the 2ft you have displayed is plenty.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Older bathroom doorways in houses are 24 in. My last travel trailer had about a 22 inch wide door opening. We made our space for the walk through opening about 28 in. But it's really personal preference.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Stack some boxes there, or cabinet/dresser from in the house and move it around until getting in and out it comfortable.
Once you find that spot, then measure the opening and that's the answer.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Ours is 29 at that door, and 18 further in at the cab step. It all feels fine. 29 was just the remainder from the fridge cabinet. 18 felt like the minimum foot passage in order to maximize cab step width, which serves as a foot rest when the seat is swiveled rearward.

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
2 feet. The International Building Code is unclear except to say entry doors must have a clear opening of 32”. There are variable rules for interior openings and in 50 some years of building I have built a few bathrooms with 24” pocket doors because the owner insisted and I couldn’t determine it wasn’t code compliant. Those few owners never complained about the opening. My van had 26” of clear space and we felt it was sufficient.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I thought ADA, and the locals I've framed in, requires 32 for interior doors and 36 for exterior doors and egress iirc. Maybe it's 30 and 32. Been a little while since I last hung doors. Closet doors and any other non living spaces can be smaller.

This is a van though. Be creative and push limits. Balance comfort and maximum space utilization. Maybe a flip up counter extension can give the best of both worlds, if you want the table space but don't want to have to think skinny and sidestep through the door every time. I can fit through 14.5 stud cavities most of the time, but banging limbs on things hurts and getting stuck halfway through after a big lunch is embarrassing 😣

·
Registered
2019 Promaster Silver 1500 low roof
186 Posts
Again, the only measurement that matters is OP's measurement of his own situation.

And it's not just hip width. Consider that you might some day need to get a bulky object through the door.
Excellent point! Are you putting in a fridge? Make sure you can easily get it out of any cabinet you put it in and out the door with ease!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
@Cantsitstill

This really depends upon your design "floorplan". It is best to maximize the precious space.

Our is 36" clear opening from the door jamb to the cabinet, but our design is for;

1) ARB sliding fridge to slide into the opening (we load and unload the fridge from outside mostly)
2) Open area and ease of moving in and out is ergonomically important to us.
3) Standing area around the prep galley
4) We sit on the floor with our feet on the campsite sometimes with the slider open (very comfortable for the two of us.

So the door open area is really multi-use & truly less "stuff" is more for us.

Good materials and quality labour is important, but I am pretty convinced with DIY van building it really comes down to smart ergonomic design (in other words - Design is Everything).

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,658 Posts
So true! And too many people underestimate the value of open space. I would not want to squeeze through something "just wide enough."

We, too, sit there sometimes.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts