Ram Promaster Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
WATTBOX looks pretty good.

Where is the meter shunt? I see what looks like the coiled cable and connector loose below the fuse holder. Is the shunt just floating in the bottom of the box somewhere or is it attached to the side below the fuse somehow? If secured, how did you do it? There is apparently a shunt holder available made from clear plastic (similar to the ANL fuseholder) that I didn't get, so looking for ways to mount the shunt. It is too thick to attach directly to the battery terminal and there are no holes for bolting the shunt down.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
RD is just an "ol’ trucker" but some of us are real vaners. I’ve owned 1 pick up in my life and many, many vans (and I’m 77). I have no use for a pick up, never had, never will, but they are beloved by most Americans and Canadians for some strange and unknown reason (to me)🤔
Thank you for sharing that - your age, not the pickup truck heresy. I am converting the first van I ever owned at age 76. I had misgivings about starting at my age but knowing there are others of similar vintage is comforting.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Anyone out there interested in building a portable power system in a box?
RD I am at a cross roads. I'm almost ready to start work on the power system for my van.

I briefly did the truck cap camping bit and bought a 50 ah Lithium battery, 20 amp b2b and 300 watt psw inverter. I have a 30 Amp Power Supply from my days nursing wet cells. That works nicely with the b2b for shore power charging.

Plan is to use these initially in the van. Plan A was to design installation for 2 6 volt AGM Golf Cart Batteries and a 2000 watt PSW inverter so that if I decided to go there it would be a remove & replace instead of redo from start.

You've gotten me thinking of a tool box power system that would have other/future uses. I have an ammo can 12 ah system that has been very useful. It is easy to carry. I've been using it in the van for the fan and for tunes. The charger fits in the box so when battery needs to be charged I open the lid, get the charger out and hook it up.

Two areas of concern: Weigh - how heavy is your tool box? But cooling for the b2b, inverter and 30 amp power supply is a bigger concern.

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
WATTBOX looks pretty good.

Where is the meter shunt? I see what looks like the coiled cable and connector loose below the fuse holder. Is the shunt just floating in the bottom of the box somewhere or is it attached to the side below the fuse somehow? If secured, how did you do it? There is apparently a shunt holder available made from clear plastic (similar to the ANL fuseholder) that I didn't get, so looking for ways to mount the shunt. It is too thick to attach directly to the battery terminal and there are no holes for bolting the shunt down.
I mounted the shunt’s plastic base to the side of the box below the ALN fuse holder and above the negative bus bar. If I were you I’d make a flat base from a piece of plastic about 1/8 inch thick, and wide enough to put some screws through.

Reactions: tgblake

·
Premium Member
8,715 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
RD I am at a cross roads. I'm almost ready to start work on the power system for my van.

I briefly did the truck cap camping bit and bought a 50 ah Lithium battery, 20 amp b2b and 300 watt psw inverter. I have a 30 Amp Power Supply from my days nursing wet cells. That works nicely with the b2b for shore power charging.

Plan is to use these initially in the van. Plan A was to design installation for 2 6 volt AGM Golf Cart Batteries and a 2000 watt PSW inverter so that if I decided to go there it would be a remove & replace instead of redo from start.

You've gotten me thinking of a tool box power system that would have other/future uses. I have an ammo can 12 ah system that has been very useful. It is easy to carry. I've been using it in the van for the fan and for tunes. The charger fits in the box so when battery needs to be charged I open the lid, get the charger out and hook it up.

Two areas of concern: Weigh - how heavy is your tool box? But cooling for the b2b, inverter and 30 amp power supply is a bigger concern.
I don’t have a B2B built into my WATTBOX. I do not have an inverter built inside either. I do have a place to store the 5 amp charger which is in one of the pictures. I have a cord to go from the car’s cigar lighter to one of the SAE connectors for charging but haven't tried it out yet as the AIMS 50 A-H battery seems to be nearly fully charged. The box with those inside weights 23.6 lbs. Easy to carry and less than my toolboxes with tools inside! You can build the system with 2- 6V FLA golf cart batteries so cheaply I would do that in my van.
I am considering carrying a 300 Watt pure sine wave inverter which would also fit inside the storage section but not install it as I don’t expect to run 110V stuff. The cigar outlet and the SAE output/input ports are fused at 30 amps so I could run that at full power if needed.
This brings up the idea of “minimal electrical.” If you want EVERYTHING in the box it is going to get heavy and cooling will become an issue. Why don’t you or someone else here design and build a full van system with a 100A-H LiFePO, and all those features in a suitcase like HarryN does and show what can be done? My goal was to run my refrigerator for a couple of days, have chargers for electronics (all USB for me), some lights and use it to remote camp and solar recharge. I think I managed that in a 19” toolbox for <$650 and 23 lbs.

121 - 126 of 126 Posts