Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,684 Posts
I’m just wondering - what is this the real reason for this survey?

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
537 Posts
A questionnaire like this should be based on fact and not uneducated perception.

#4 ) How long do you think the van will last with regular maintenance?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m just wondering - what is this the real reason for this survey?
I am considering buying a van with 160K miles on it because it fits in my price range. It has had regular maintenance done on it ever 4k miles and seems to be in pretty good shape, that being said, the transmission has never been replaced and im scared itll crap out.

I just wanted some info and I have searched around and scourged the forums, so I thought I would make this survey to help others, also.

A questionnaire like this should be based on fact and not uneducated perception.

[URL=http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=4]#4 [/URL] ) How long do you think the van will last with regular maintenance?
I dont understand? The goal was to get some data on users miles and repairs, then I thought I would asked some opinion-based questions. Nowhere did I say that #4 is a fact and majority rules.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Without a survey I can tell you I have 107K miles on my 2014 and have had no major repairs. I did have a coil fail and that was a bit worrisome but it was at 97K miles and I was due for the 100K service any way. The transmission, although clunky and an old design, is actually fairly robust. I had the previous design (basically the 4 speed version) in our minivan and it lasted well over 360K with only the solenoid pack needing replaced at 250K. It probably would have lasted much longer except our daughter wrecked it.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
What's the price range of a 160k van?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Without a survey I can tell you I have 107K miles on my 2014 and have had no major repairs. I did have a coil fail and that was a bit worrisome but it was at 97K miles and I was due for the 100K service any way. The transmission, although clunky and an old design, is actually fairly robust. I had the previous design (basically the 4 speed version) in our minivan and it lasted well over 360K with only the solenoid pack needing replaced at 250K. It probably would have lasted much longer except our daughter wrecked it.
Thanks for the thoughts. I just wanted the survey so that others could skim the results without having to read all the responses. Thats good to hear about the transmission, Im a bit worried that since the transmission hasnt been serviced in a while that its a bad sign. I think it hasnt been serviced at in about 100k miles.

What's the price range of a 160k van?
12K is what they are asking. no backup cam/ screen on dash but it does have back windows and a side window (a plus for me). also its a 2500. Also, it has very good service records, I even talked to the previous driver who said it was serviced religiously every 4,000.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
I looked at high miles and low price vans, but after I factored in the cost of an engine and trans. I just went for a low cost, low mileage plain jane van 20.6k.

What are they servicing every 4k, did they cover everything on the maintenance schedule? The trans should have had 2 fluid and filter changes.

Have a mechanic you trust go over it and drive it. At 12k and no issues could be a great buy as long as it's not a diesel.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Phil,
What is your thinking about the diesel? I know mine with 44K and perfect service record on it is not indicative of 160K but you speak like you know something. What is it? Thanks
OP
BTW I have bought lots of vehicles with over 100K on them and found them to be excellent and all have gone another 100K without any major repairs or are on their way. Currently Miata 106K, Suzuki GV 150K, 4Runner 240K, former f150 235K sold, it’s still running, Explorer 206K when sold. No transmission work, no engine work, no problems really. I don't think that 160K is a big issue if you drive it 100K more.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
My beef with diesel's is monetary in nature,

The OP's price point is 12k.

If you are cheap, on a limit budget or using it for business and the warranty has expired any repair becomes expensive real quick, negating a savings you thought you were going to get.

Gas has negative points, but repair cost are way lower and gas mechanics are plentiful.

The OP van's is going to cost less than the last diesel poster's repair job.

That said I love the 4BT and 6BT diesel engines.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I am surprised used diesels sell for a premium and I have no experience with the repair side yet. I am hoping I get 250K out of this van w/o major repairs. At that time my fuel savings would have been somewhere near $7K. I just hope my repairs are less. In the meantime I get such a great road rig it makes me smile every time I drive it, so some additional expense would be worth that. I expect repairs to be in the emissions or transmission since both have had posts here. I have searched the salvage net for transmissions and low mileage ones are available for <$2,000, the electronics are there too as well as the hydraulics. Emissions are another matter but a DPF or EGR or DEF pump all fall well below the threshold price of the diesel savings. I am handy so it might get personal. Engines run $6K but my guess is any failure there is likely in an injector or glow plug. I’d give either a try and then take it to a Mitsubishi truck shop who do these engines. BTW I do love my Espar!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey phil, thanks for the thoughts. my budget is actually 15k, but finding one for 12 that meets my specs, but has a bit higher milage, I thought that I could just use the savings as a backup if the tranny fails or something.
Speaking of which, I know RDinNH said you can get a tranny for around 2k, but what does it cost to replace it? Theres no way I would be able to do a trans myself.
Any idea what it costs to get an engine replacement? Id love to prepare for the worst. I dont want to ever have to replace my engine, but Id like to have the backup funds to do so if I have to (as i plan on converting this into a camper)

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
The gasser engine should be available cheaper from a local yard. I doubt I would be willing to go more than $1500 for one with 50-70K miles. They are about the commonest engine and lots of those minivans get crunched and no soccermom is going to trust her precious to a repaired van. Whole low mileage vans come up on Craig’s for $3000. The transmission is repairable as the external parts fail most commonly. Despite the possibility I would not hesitate to get a van with 140-180K and plan to drive it to 275k+- We have a poster here that drove one 475K if you believe it?!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To both of you, thanks for the thoughts. I see 3,000 listed for an engine. Thats a decent price point for something used. Im honing in on it but want to be careful before I jump on anything. The van apparently needs new wheels and rear break pads. Im a bit bummed that after calling a dealership, they said that nothing is cheap to replace in these vehicles. Do you guys do break pads yourself? How much do you pay?

Im just hoping this doesnt become a money-pit.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
You need an independent mechanic to look at it, drive it and tell you what it needs and how much it will cost. That dealer is an idiot.

·
Super Moderator
10,684 Posts
Pads (f or r) about $35 pr. Rotors about $50 each as I recall. Cheap and very easy to replace. I did my fronts at about 65k miles I think and I’m still using the original rears at 88 k miles no problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pads (f or r) about $35 pr. Rotors about $50 each as I recall. Cheap and very easy to replace. I did my fronts at about 65k miles I think and I’m still using the original rears at 88 k miles no problems.
Thats awesome! Great to hear. Any chance either of you have had any issues with the compressor? apparently the one in the van is most likely shot and im worried itll be a costly repair. besides that, the dealer said they would replace the brake pads and swap the wheels for me.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts