Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all , We are off to order our PM HT tomorrow hopefully .We are in BC on Vancouver Island . Mike is quadriplegic and uses large electric wheel chair . We are hoping to convert PM to camper van as we sold our 32 Ft RV and want something smaller to travel in . Cant order through the custom places as we need more room ect to get in and turn ect and they don't deviate from their models . Will be looking to see if we can put a track ceiling lift on ceiling and if so whether we should order with or without windows incase having them jeopardizes the weight bearing of roof . I guess we will soon find out . Have many questions but not too many can be answered till we have the van in hand and can get weights ect . Any ways ,Nice to be on here and read all your posts !

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
Welcome!

You didn't mention length, but the 159wb has an extra top beam that may help with roof loads. Lots of good info here on the forum, but not much on suspended weight capabilities... I added windows, and did have to remove side supports in the center of each panel. Windows added between the supports would probably work best!

ed

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't think windows, if installed in the sheet metal as mentioned above, would in any way affect the ability of the roof to carry loads. The sheet metal sides are just glued on with adhesive foam. Structural strength is provided by the framing only

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,524 Posts
I don't think windows, if installed in the sheet metal as mentioned above, would in any way affect the ability of the roof to carry loads. The sheet metal sides are just glued on with adhesive foam. Structural strength is provided by the framing only
I'm talking about the CRL OEM-looking windows. When I installed mine, I had to remove the steel wall supports (framing) that span from the bottom of the window rail the the roof rail. They are spot welded in place and foamed to keep the wall panels from making noise, I guess. I have nothing on my roof so I figured it wouldn't make a lot of difference.

I did notice that on the 159 window van, the window behind the slider is in two pieces that meet at a sidewall support. The same CRL glass is one piece, so the support is removed.

ed

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think it is OK to remove those pieces because, as you say, they are there to stiffen the large sheet metal panel so it does not make "drumming" noises. There is still plenty of strength for roof loads and to keep the entire cargo area from twisting and distorting as the van is driven on very uneven roads.

This brings up an interesting question: There are federal standards for car roof strength to protect occupants in rollover accidents. Are there similar for light trucks and vans?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,503 Posts
My understanding is that the strength is around the rim of the roof. The cross-wise ribs do little more than support the roof panel. If I were putting anything very heavy up there, I'd want to support it on the outer edges.

I have searched ad nauseum for crash test results on this body. The precious little I have found suggests we are OK in roll-overs and in collisions with vehicles no bigger than we are. Going head to head with a semi, we're in big trouble. The good thing is that there is so little info. If this were a death trap, we'd know about it and it probably would not have been imported. Remember, this exact same body with far fewer safety features has been plowing some mighty dicey European roads for a decade.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This brings up an interesting question: There are federal standards for car roof strength to protect occupants in rollover accidents. Are there similar for light trucks and vans?
There are standards for light trucks and vans, but the Promaster is not part of that group. FMVSS (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) for roof crush resistance do not apply to a vehicle with a GVWR greater than 6,000 pounds. In any case it only covers the area over the passenger compartment, which in a Promaster is the front two seats only.

Standard No. 216 - Roof Crush Resistance - Passenger Cars (except convertibles) (Effective 9-1-75) and Multipurpose Passenger Vehicles, Trucks and Buses (except school buses) with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 2722 kg (6,000 lbs.) or less (Effective 9-1-94)
This standard specifies requirements for roof crush resistance over the passenger compartment.

That would mean these rules apply only to really light duty trucks. A Tacoma just barley squeaks by under that 6,000 pound limit. Manufacturers often play around with the various class and category of a vehicle, to suit a different purpose. When Chrysler first designed the PT Cruiser, it was designed to meet the criteria for a truck, hence the flat load floor and removable back seats. By labelling it as a truck, it helped reduce the overall average MPG rating of the entire truck line, in order to meet CAFE standards.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think it is OK to remove those pieces because, as you say, they are there to stiffen the large sheet metal panel so it does not make "drumming" noises. There is still plenty of strength for roof loads and to keep the entire cargo area from twisting and distorting
The body builder manuals indicates that if you cut those pieces out you have replace them with framing on either side of the window just like you would if you removed studs from wall in your house to install a window.

I didn't replace mine when I installed windows, but like proeddie, I didn't put anything on the roof other than a maxxair fan and an awning.

The manual also states you can only load 300 lbs on a properly installed roof rack. Doesn't address attaching something inside.

It probably has more to do with the effect on handling while driving with that much weight on top of the vehicle than how much weight the roof can support inside while loading / unloading.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
.... Will be looking to see if we can put a track ceiling lift on ceiling and if so whether we should order with or without windows incase having them jeopardizes the weight bearing of roof ....

A track ceiling lift does not have to be supported by the ceiling, it can be supported by the floor.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we must be talking about different thing . We are talking about a ceiling hoist that lifts you out of chair and takes you down track to bed area where you lower onto bed . There are portable hoyer lifts but the aisle would be hard to navigate in a van

·
Super Moderator
10,163 Posts
I think you can one that mounts on the floor. It doesn't have to be in the aisle but on the side. Google it perhaps?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts