Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We want a microwave in the van primarily for warming up stuff. We never "cook" in the MW. At home, the MW rarely runs for more than a minute or two at a time.

I have a choice between 700 W and more powerful ones. Will the more powerful consume more power per task, or will it accomplish the task in less time, thereby compensating somewhat for the wattage?

·
Registered
625 Posts
A 600 or 700w MW can be run on a 1000w inverter. Yeah, its says 700w, but it will burst and actually 'use' more than its rated at.

If you move to a larger MW, you will need to upgrade to a larger, and more expensive, inverter; most likely a 2000w size.

If you look at the good ones by Magnum, you're looking at going from $1k to nearly $2k.

Stick with the smaller MW.

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
I have a 700w micro from Home Depot. Cost under $60 and works fine with my el cheapo Harbor Freight 2k inverter ($130 on sale). The inverter runs everything fine, very quiet, TV, coffee maker, micro, dorm fridge, laptop - don't waste your money needlessly.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
KOV, you are one frugal guy! (thats a good thing)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Microwave watt ratings refer to output, not input. My 700W microwave input rating is 9.5 amps. At 120V, that's 1140 Watts. A 1000W inverter might have a surge rating of 2000W for a short period. So a 1000W inverter will not be enough to run it for more than a few minutes at the surge rating before shutting down.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Beware that not all microwave ovens will work properly (or last long time) using modified sine wave inverters.
So the bst is always to check microwve oven/inveter already tested in RV.

With pure sine wave inverters there are usually no problems.

There are also (few) microwave ovens that operate at 12 V (or 24 V).

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a 1000 watt Xantrex (900 w continuous, more than 1000 w surge, I think) inverter and use a 700 watt microwave from Walmart and it works OK. Both the inverter and oven are low cost. Not mentioned above is the battery size. Generally it is better for a given battery size to pull the power out at a lower rate as this is better for battery life. Example: Pulling 1000 watts out of the battery is about an 80 amp rate. It is better to do this for say 5 minutes than to pull 160 amps for 2 or 3 minutes. Use pure sine wave inverter.

A trick to extend battery life is to half heat the food than shut off the oven for a couple of minutes to let the battery "recover" than finish heating. A similar effect is to run the oven on less than full power but that causes frequent cycling of the inverter.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
185 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
Another MW question: How do you tie it down? I want to install it just under the counter.
I put 4 rive-nuts on the bottom nubs that keep it off the counter and just drilled thru the plywood the MW sits on in it's cabinet then bolted it down. Mine sits in a totally enclosed space (all four sides, NOT the back where there is about 10" of air space between the MW rear and van sidewall so it will have ventilation)

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
I have a 700w micro from Home Depot. Cost under $60 and works fine with my el cheapo Harbor Freight 2k inverter ($130 on sale). The inverter runs everything fine, very quiet, TV, coffee maker, micro, dorm fridge, laptop - don't waste your money needlessly.
Harbor Freight sells some real junk. (although I am a regular customer, lol) Their inverters do not fit into that category. They have really good inverters. Anyone wanting to get into an inverter without breaking the bank might consider them. They regularly put out coupons for 20% off a single item.

-t

·
Super Moderator
10,178 Posts
I've had a couple of overpriced inverters over the years and although I wasn't expecting much from this one at $130 it's the best of the lot.

HF does carry a lot of junk but the also have some real bargains, especially if you need an expensive tool you will only use very rarely they can't be beat.

I do feel sorry for the people who throw their money away on HF's junk solar products tho. You can buy real solar for less than the useless junk they sell to people who don't know any better!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts