7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
379 Posts
Victron iPhone Screen Shots My System

RD

Some photos for you

The one that shows negative, then spikes to over positive 40amps is after after I started the engine

If you want to know more let me know, I will have to delete those photos off my membership here (next week or so) as Im getting filled up

Attachments

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
RD,
I think the higher capacity ones use hall effect instead of a shunt.

I have a different hall effect one it does ok counting down but does seem to count up very well, it likes a big charging current to get get back to 215 ahr.

I also have the one Gary linked to, I like it, wish I would have gotten it first.

So I have 2 SOC meters connected, just because :)

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im into those & mine does that - bluetooth too & works/connects easy
You are not gonna like the price :eek:
Here is what I have, but even in USD your gonna spend “Beast” money
https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-monitors/bmv-712-smart
I don’t care how much my battery gets refilled more than about $30 worth so the Victron is out for me. I’ve heard great things about their components but $200+ is not in my meter budget. Same for the Bogart Product that is somewhat less.
I might have made it clearer if I had pointed out I want it to fit in the same rectangular face mount as my Bayite. The one I showed would and I don’t see how it works unless there is a Hall Effect transducer for the ground wire or something???
Thanks I’m looking at everything you’ve put up.

I’m now thinking this one does what I want in the screen size to replace my Baylight

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I've played with DROK products before (I think it was a small dc-dc converter), they come out of china and and instructions are pretty limited but they worked as described. I don't have any direct experience with this specific monitor. There are a lot of youtube videos on these units as they have several. Jehu on youtube builds DIY "powerwalls" and battery banks, and he uses these monitors a lot on his projects.

As for measuring input and output independently, there is no way to do that with a single shunt or hall sensor as you'll have discharge and charge at the same time so there is no way for it to know what you are discharging at the same time you are charging. To my knowledge, there is no battery monitor with two inputs (one shunt on the charge sources and one shunt on the discharge).

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nebulight,
Now I am confused and that is a lot more common as each year passes. If the Hall Effect coil circles the negative wire from the battery there will be either a discharge, a charge, or no current. I believe there will never be current going in both ways in the ground wire as the wire carries the net current. Is this true?
Based on my belief won’t the Hall Effect coil record a charge or nothing or a discharge and the sum over time will show my battery discharged some, or full. Occasional resets when I know the battery is 100% SOC should get the thing back in register with my use.
At one time I planned to buy a second Bayite and use the existing shunt and a 4th wire to have one record the use and the other to record the charge. I still believe that is doable but I then need to read both and compute SOC something I want to avoid.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
RD,

How about two of these, one on the wire from the solar to the batteries and on from the batteries to the loads.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/bayite-Digital-Current-Voltage-Transducer/dp/B01DDQM5PK[/ame]

Read the first review for some ideas.

Also, it seems to me that with a DC hall effect sensor, it can detect the direction of current flow and indicate positive or negative flow if connected to a meter that will display that. if looped around the ground wire, then a hall effect sensor would measure in/out flow, no? if there's current flowing in both directions, I would think you would read the "net difference" on a meter... ie. 20 A from the solar, 5A draw for loads, the meter should indicate 15A of flow (difference)

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I may have misunderstood your question by what you meant by "both ways". This question gets asked a lot on facebook groups about the ability to see consumption vs production. In a DC system with storage, if you wanted to be able to view production totals and consumption totals, then you would need two shunts or hall sensors: one on the charge side and one on the discharge side. If you are just looking for NET and don't care about seeing those numbers independently (ie I have 10 amps coming in from solar but am drawing 5 amps, then I have +5 going to the battery is all you'd see), than the one similar to what you linked will work for total net. I wouldn't suggest that specific model as that's a low current version and has a small 20amp shunt built into the unit. You'd need one with an external shunt or hall sensor for your high loads with the inverter. DROK makes a version with a 200amp shunt and it's actually wireless to the display. This is super helpful when installing in an already built out van should you have not access to run the wire. However I think they changed the design as it's not a box anymore:

They have a hall version still, it's not wireless, but it should work the same (note it installs on the positive wire) but I've heard calibration out of the box is an issue and can be a pain in the butt to calibrate properly as you'd need exact current to calibrate (a power supply is generally needed):

https://smile.amazon.com/Ammeter-DROK-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Capacity/dp/B01MZIAJI0/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=DROK+Digital+Multimeter+shunt&qid=1560786601&s=gateway&sr=8-7

I'd see if you can find this version with a shunt. I can't find it on amazon and I think they are going to a new design.

·
Premium Member
7,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all I am beginning to see that it is out there... now to decide.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts