Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe these are constructed similar to the Optima. The direct Optima application is the YellowTop H6 model. The prices are similar between the Optima and X2Power. The key is finding a sealed (non-venting) battery for the PMC. Note the PMC uses the same battery (for the same model year) as the 2.4L Jeep Renegade.

It's an X2Power Premium AGM Group 48 Car & Truck battery I bought from Batteries Plus Bulbs. It was an easy drop in with no issues though the stock cable clamps/connectors are just a bit cumbersome to hook up. Look for Batteries + Bulbs online or maybe for something cheaper/better along the same line. I'd guess (hope) that FCA has changed to better stuff by now as well!
I was initially looking to go with Optima as I've used them in other vehicles with great success but they are odd sized and I wasn't confident with fitment so I went with a more common/standard AGM type. I feel investing in a good (albeit expensive) battery is a worthwhile investment having lived in Colorado cold and Arizona heat over the years! Seems people will shell out for premium oil/filters and spark plugs but cheap out on batteries!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I believe these are constructed similar to the Optima. The direct Optima application is the YellowTop H6 model. The prices are similar between the Optima and X2Power. The key is finding a sealed (non-venting) battery for the PMC. Note the PMC uses the same battery (for the same model year) as the 2.4L Jeep Renegade.
Not sure if Optima uses adsorbed glass mats or gel/paste but I know they are spiral lead wound sheets as opposed to stacked flat square/rectangular plates so more vibration tolerant but less space efficient. They are quite popular with hard core off roaders. They worked great for me in summer heat & mediocre roads in Arizona and lasted longer than any flooded type I ever used. We'll see how the AGM holds up in comparison, but I'm no longer living in AZ.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My battery went last week. Would not start in the cold morning. Had to jump it. Been reading this thread so I scheduled a trip to dealer. They replaced the battery. They knew nothing about a TSB. But when I brought it home I noticed dried up acid on everything down below the battery. I went to the car wash and rinsed everything off. Fingers crossed.... Are the batteries that they replace them with any better or should I pony up for the better battery?
Please look down below the front of the battery and locate the black plastic underneath. If you can see metal, MAYDAY! I had changed the battery six months prior to the discovery of my tranny's valve cover having been melted and the fluid all gone. Les Swaub either didn't notice it or if they did, didn't say anything (and ya know those money grubbers would... they were sure to say my tires were worn) In fact, if you have a City, check under the battery. The sensors never went off in that six months, and there's no dipstick to manually check fluid levels. I don't know how long that condition continued, the shifting was smooth as it ever was (not much...), so check. It could save you a tranny replacement.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve just heard back from FCA Canada:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I am pleased to inform you that there is now a technical service bulletin with the necessary repair to correct the concern of battery acid leaking onto the battery tray/transmission. Service bulletin 23-016-19 is attached for your reference.”

My van is in the shop getting the heater core replaced. FCA Canada is paying for the parts but not the labour. They are requesting the shop perform the tsb for the battery acid after I brought it to their attention.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Is this TSB in USA also? My dealer knew nothing about it when I took it in. I made the appointment after it was posted here that there was a TSB issued.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here is another comparable sealed, maintenance free AGM by Northstar Battery. It has a full 4 year warranty and Optima offers 3 years, and X2Power has full 5 year warranty. The warranty is more important to me than price.

Not sure if Optima uses adsorbed glass mats or gel/paste but I know they are spiral lead wound sheets as opposed to stacked flat square/rectangular plates so more vibration tolerant but less space efficient. They are quite popular with hard core off roaders. They worked great for me in summer heat & mediocre roads in Arizona and lasted longer than any flooded type I ever used. We'll see how the AGM holds up in comparison, but I'm no longer living in AZ.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks guys for the TSB on this. I ran it past the dealer and found out: The 'kit' (P/N 68470617AA or P/N 684770653AA) costs about $25 and includes hoses and clips, depending on when your City was built (before/after 8/31/2016). They wanna charge $132 for labor for a total of $176, including tax, license, condoms, etc. My local guy said he has acid-proof tubing and can do this for $50 ...Guess which way I'm going. I just wanted to tell y'all about the kit and it looks pretty simple, if your handy and already parted out the battery. But for $50, this 70yo ain't crawlin' around no shop floor.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Wait- I am 70 and so I bought a lift for the garage. Not as much as you think. They all seem to be made in China but mine is very well made and works super. Bought before the tariffs so I paid less. Like this one:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for this info. If your transmission pan is intact, I recommend replacing the battery for one of the sealed options above. No need for a vent line/hose.

Thanks guys for the TSB on this. I ran it past the dealer and found out: The 'kit' (P/N 68470617AA or P/N 684770653AA) costs about $25 and includes hoses and clips, depending on when your City was built (before/after 8/31/2016). They wanna charge $132 for labor for a total of $176, including tax, license, condoms, etc. My local guy said he has acid-proof tubing and can do this for $50 ...Guess which way I'm going. I just wanted to tell y'all about the kit and it looks pretty simple, if your handy and already parted out the battery. But for $50, this 70yo ain't crawlin' around no shop floor.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Will the "smart alternator" on the PMC properly charge an AGM battery? My understanding is that an AGM battery has a different "charge profile" at a higher voltage (14.8v?).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Will the "smart alternator" on the PMC properly charge an AGM battery? My understanding is that an AGM battery has a different "charge profile" at a higher voltage (14.8v?).
Don't know about the newer model year revisions but my '17 has no trouble charging the X2Power AGM I installed well over a year ago! I've seen/heard nothing about problematic charge profiles for common auto/truck version AGMs though they do have some deep cycle discharge characteristics. I recommend them to anyone who can afford them!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Don't know about the newer model year revisions but my '17 has no trouble charging the X2Power AGM I installed well over a year ago! I've seen/heard nothing about problematic charge profiles for common auto/truck version AGMs though they do have some deep cycle discharge characteristics. I recommend them to anyone who can afford them!
I was told that the original was an AGM, just not sealed. I had a sealed one installed because the original had lost power, the car was dead just from leaving the doors open for a while. Shop said the batterty had been leaking. I've had it for 9 months no prob...except the massive hole melted in my transmission from the prior battery. Any ol' AGM in a strom, I say.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was told that the original was an AGM, just not sealed.
I was under the impression that the ability to "seal" the case is an inherent design benefit to AGM type units compared to traditional flooded type in that they don't gas out and only have a relief valve to allow for altitude or temperature related pressure changes? I assumed that the stock was just a more traditional "maintenance free" type but I didn't check to see if there was any access to add water. The term "maintenance free" used to really mean maintenance reduced, at least in hot climes where batteries tend to dry out quickly!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts