Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing a puddle of oil near the drivers side half shaft. Finally was able to take it in this morning and they just called. The battery overflowed acid on the trans,where it dripped down and ate a hole in the trans oil pan. But wait..........there's more; it also melted a good portion of whatever wiring harness that was in the acids path. So it looks like my wagon slt will be in the shop for at minimum,a week.Thankfully I don't need it,so no problem there. But the service dude did tell me they don't know why yet,but it only seems to happen with our promaster city vans. I will post more info as I get it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What the heck! Did they give you an idea of how many drivers experienced a similar issue?
Nope. Just told me it's a promaster city thing only. Heck,I have less than 14k miles on it. I bought it new in 15,guess I don't drive much anymore,lol.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for putting this out there...will check my battery and downstream in the morning.
That is a good idea.If you see anything neutralize with baking soda right away,and make an appointment with your local service dept.After being told about the wiring harness(s) underneath the battery,a risk of fire comes to mind.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got a call this afternoon from my local Ram dealer,my pmcw is ready to come home. It seems there's a batch of batteries that just puke out acid,just in the pmc's. My wiring harness was found to be okay, (we'll see ). All updates,whatevers were all done too. I miss my van...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a call this afternoon from my local Ram dealer,my pmcw is ready to come home. It seems there's a batch of batteries that just puke out acid,just in the pmc's. My wiring harness was found to be okay, (we'll see ). All updates,whatevers were all done too. I miss my van...
Here's an update. It looks like my van flunked the electric koolaid acid test again. This time it's wiring,and something about the valve body being garbage. It,once again,was taken by rollback to the dealership. It's been there a week waiting on parts...again. It is covered by the 5 yr powertrain warranty,since it's 4 years old,and I only have 21,741 miles on it. I think this time I'm going to off it before my 5 yr powertrain warranty is gone. Too bad for me. I really like this van,but it desperately needs sorting out,and I don't think Ram sells enough of them to care. I'll probably buy a chebby colorado,or a new ranger. I just don't trust ram for the long haul...

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Not sure you should expect a different experience with GM or Ford.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure you should expect a different experience with GM or Ford.
Never had a recurring problem with ford or chevy,or dodge for that matter. I bought my first new dodge back in 1974.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,two more days and my van has been at the dealers for month. I am going to start a lemon law buyback. I am totally disabled and need my only transportation as I live out in the country.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been noticing a puddle of oil near the drivers side half shaft. Finally was able to take it in this morning and they just called. The battery overflowed acid on the trans,where it dripped down and ate a hole in the trans oil pan. But wait..........there's more; it also melted a good portion of whatever wiring harness that was in the acids path. So it looks like my wagon slt will be in the shop for at minimum,a week.Thankfully I don't need it,so no problem there. But the service dude did tell me they don't know why yet,but it only seems to happen with our promaster city vans. I will post more info as I get it.
Well. A little further down the threads is my tale of woe that happened just two weeks ago. My mechanic said the tube from the battery tray hangs right down to the Carbon-fiber valve cover in front of the Tranny. The acid ate a sunstantial hole in it. The mechanic said that if they had put another foot of length on this drain line, it wouldn't dripped on the cover. The tranny only had about two quarts of fluid in it (and part of that was water from the road!) I had a battery go dead a year ago and Les Swaub changed it out, but they didn't notice it the hole... or they didn't say anything about it (and the money-grubbers would have said something... Jus' sayin'), so I had to assume it was OK then. I had been driving for at least a year with barely any fluid in the transmission. Lessons learned. I am looking for what the drain line is made of and gonna get the shop to install a longer one for a battery tray drain line. When ordering the new cover, the shop said that they carry it in stock, so he was pretty sure it's a common problem with Ram City vans.

Now, to write this in my own tale of woe... $30/qt for fluid!

Reactions: lohchief

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well. A little further down the threads is my tale of woe that happened just two weeks ago. My mechanic said the tube from the battery tray hangs right down to the Carbon-fiber valve cover in front of the Tranny. The acid ate a sunstantial hole in it. The mechanic said that if they had put another foot of length on this drain line, it wouldn't dripped on the cover. The tranny only had about two quarts of fluid in it (and part of that was water from the road!) I had a battery go dead a year ago and Les Swaub changed it out, but they didn't notice it the hole... or they didn't say anything about it (and the money-grubbers would have said something... Jus' sayin'), so I had to assume it was OK then. I had been driving for at least a year with barely any fluid in the transmission. Lessons learned. I am looking for what the drain line is made of and gonna get the shop to install a longer one for a battery tray drain line. When ordering the new cover, the shop said that they carry it in stock, so he was pretty sure it's a common problem with Ram City vans.

Now, to write this in my own tale of woe... $30/qt for fluid!
Wow,30 bux a quart. That is outrageous.Yeah,I was told that it's a problem specific to the city wagon,not the cargo van,which just doesn't make any sense at all.The last time it was hauled back to the dealers,it was there for two weeks waiting for parts. This time they are telling me it's some sensor in the valve body and they have to be machined bla, bla, bla. Monday I start the process. My wife and I are seniors,we are both totally disabled,and it is our only ride. I don't have any trust in the vehicle at all now. While it was doing an electronic nervous breakdown,my wife was on her way to the grocery store when the nav system,(which wasn't on,neither was the radio)shouted out,"turn left now" and she freaked,and was thankful there wasn't a vehicle in the left lane which she went into just on reflex.The grocery store was another half a mile down the road,on the right. And this type of weirdness has been happening for a while now,but being an only vehicle,it's hard to bring it in for everything that started going wrong.I less than 22 thousand miles on it and don't trust it as far as I can throw my house.They can give most of my money back and I won't darken the mopar door again.That,s a shame too.My very first NEW car buy,was a 1974 Dodge B100 van. 225 six,three on the tree,and totally awesome as a work truck,and it didn't suck down the gas either.I'm on the Ford xplan so I'll take a look at the ranger,or f150. Anything but a ram.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well sports fans,I got my van back today. The dealer is about a 10 minute drive from my house. Drove home and no problem,and parked it. Later,my wife needed to go to the store.The van would NOT go over 40 mph,speed limit is 45,AND,it kept stalling.Guess after a month,it still isn't fixed.This isn't right at all.What a piece of garbage this is turning out to be. I still believe that when it puked battery acid all over itself,other components were damaged,I think. Maybe the computer or whatever.It is anything now but dependable.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today is Saturday,so I took the van out for a test drive at 0730hrs,was out for around 30 minutes,outside temp is high 40's this am. I ended up limping home with the 4 ways on.No more than 2500 rpms,and that is with my foot to the floor,for real.I'm stuck again,no vehicle.Anybody know what the world record is for having a vehicle under warranty,in the shop? LOL.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow! It really sucks that you are having these issues. Sounds like the dealer that you bought it from needs to take it back and sell you a different vehicle.
Thank you for your post. I checked my van and discovered that my battery had no vent hose. I added a hose and routed it away from the tranny.
Pics are attached for anyone that needs to see what we are talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
"Wow! It really sucks that you are having these issues. Sounds like the dealer that you bought it from needs to take it back and GIVE you a different vehicle." Fixed it for ya, ;}>
I'm trying to keep my humor going so I don't show how mad I am.I'm too old,(68) to stay pissed forever about something,but this one even tries me. We will see monday morning when I bring it back in,after it's warmed up,the take whoever for a short drive.Bets on he will stop me before we get out of the dealers lot,because it's that evident,we might not get it back in,lol. True story,hand of God.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Wow! It really sucks that you are having these issues. Sounds like the dealer that you bought it from needs to take it back and sell you a different vehicle.
Thank you for your post. I checked my van and discovered that my battery had no vent hose. I added a hose and routed it away from the tranny.
Pics are attached for anyone that needs to see what we are talking about.
Interesting! Here is battery on my 2015 SLT wagon. I see no vent port at all
20191028_115217_resize_42.jpg

1 - 20 of 57 Posts