Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic for Ram Promasters in the Riverside, Moreno Valley, Hemet or Temecula area?

I have a 2016 hi roof, 159in, salvage title, that I'm trying to pass smog, but keep failing.

Thanks for your help!

David

·
Registered
2015 diesel 118" wheelbase 3/15 build Mexico
368 Posts
Hi,
Does anyone know of a good diesel mechanic for Ram Promasters in the Riverside, Moreno Valley, Hemet or Temecula area?

I have a 2016 hi roof, 159in, salvage title, that I'm trying to pass smog, but keep failing.

Thanks for your help!

David
Is it failing for sensors not ready?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hi,

Thanks for your help!

David
Check out this thread

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the saga continues... After driving more than 500 miles and trying to get the sensors to function, finally got the EGR and Nox/scr sensors to work. Put in Catalyst cleaner treatment, Sea Foam, 5 Regens and after many days, got all the sensors to pass. But, now have a permanent code P20EE Scr nox catalytic efficiency below threshold bank 1. So I read somewhere on here that replacing the fan, that has a recall, will let the regens last long enough to burn out the soot and fix the code.

By the way, the van is salvage titled, 2016, 159in extended high roof, 3.0l ecodiesel with 34,000 miles. I've completed all that California requires, brake and lights, weight, Vin check. Just need to pass smog to register it.

Before fan replacement, the regens would last 18.5 minutes. Now, the new fan seems to be working well. The standing regens are lasting almost 20 minutes. So, I'm going to run it another 200 to 300 miles at high speed and hope the permanent code goes away and hopefully, passes smog.

Oh, the joy of living in California!

Any other advice?

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
652 Posts
I have to agree , sell the diesel and use the money as a down payment for a gasser . From what I've read on this Forum Diesel's are shop monkeys and are riddled with problems , now out of warranty Dealerships don't even renew inventory for Diesel parts .
Good luck anyways ....

·
Registered
368 Posts
Well, the saga continues... After driving more than 500 miles and trying to get the sensors to function, finally got the EGR and Nox/scr sensors to work. Put in Catalyst cleaner treatment, Sea Foam, 5 Regens and after many days, got all the sensors to pass. But, now have a permanent code P20EE Scr nox catalytic efficiency below threshold bank 1. So I read somewhere on here that replacing the fan, that has a recall, will let the regens last long enough to burn out the soot and fix the code.

By the way, the van is salvage titled, 2016, 159in extended high roof, 3.0l ecodiesel with 34,000 miles. I've completed all that California requires, brake and lights, weight, Vin check. Just need to pass smog to register it.

Before fan replacement, the regens would last 18.5 minutes. Now, the new fan seems to be working well. The standing regens are lasting almost 20 minutes. So, I'm going to run it another 200 to 300 miles at high speed and hope the permanent code goes away and hopefully, passes smog.

Oh, the joy of living in California!

Any other advice?
No the fan was on recall for some production dates, mine failed anyway and was replaced under warranty the problems with the fans they would seize and even catch fire but some would blow the fuse then the engine control module would throw a clogged DPF code some people actually replaced them costing thousands when all it was was a blown fuse and a bad fan assembly. If your fans are spinning during regen your good. I live in Illinois and they never required a smog test my goal was to strip all the junk off the exhaust but after last dealer (10 weeks) visit which resulted in a new motor under warranty I decided to sell and move on. Out of warranty ecodiesel could cost you dearly. In this used car market you might consider selling. 🤔

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It worked! Changing the fan allowed the regens to get hot enough to get rid of the permanent code. I drove about 80 miles today, to warm up the van, then did a regen and took it to get smogged. It passed! Went to the DMV and have new plates, registration and title! 😃

Still looking for a good diesel mechanic in my area...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts