Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone happen to have the dimensions for the built in rack mount holes? I have not purchased a Promaster yet, but have some Trac-Van racks that I'm thinking about using if.when I do. I tried to get some measurements in person, but without a ladder at the dealership it was not exactly easy. :)

I just need to know how far apart they are left to right and how far they're spaced apart front to back. I'd be greatly appreciative if anyone has a link or happens to be up on their roof anytime soon.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Does anyone happen to have the dimensions for the built in rack mount holes? I have not purchased a Promaster yet, but have some Trac-Van racks that I'm thinking about using if.when I do. I tried to get some measurements in person, but without a ladder at the dealership it was not exactly easy. :)

I just need to know how far apart they are left to right and how far they're spaced apart front to back. I'd be greatly appreciative if anyone has a link or happens to be up on their roof anytime soon.
Of course it will depend on the model, but they're all here... in metric.

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/iph/iph2014/ph2014/phvan/phdocs/vf/phdrec.pdf
pages 5 and 6

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
Are the pins on the roof standard rack mounting points (if there even is such a thing) or are there special attachment that you need to get for each rack manufacturer?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Are the pins on the roof standard rack mounting points (if there even is such a thing) or are there special attachment that you need to get for each rack manufacturer?
The pins are on every PM sold.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
I know the pins are on them all but I'm wondering is it a standard roof rack pin or something only Fiat uses.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
I discovered a rack installation manual that shows how they work. It would be nice to be able to just get the pieces that connect to the roof studs as if I go solar I don't really want to spend $300 or more for a rack and then have to build the supports for the panels on top of it all. The mounts are pretty simple but they may not be available individually.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been to a rack retailer in town here and they've never seen anything like the mounts on the Promaster. I have found that vantech.us which manufactures the roof racks has a parts list that shows the individual pieces. Go to the middle of the page and click on "Instruction manual". The needed parts are listed on page 2. I'm going to call them on monday and see about getting some pieces.

http://vantech.us/H3-2-Bar-Van-Rack-w-Endcap-for-RAM-ProMaster-2013-On-H3542W.htm

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
I've been to a rack retailer in town here and they've never seen anything like the mounts on the Promaster. I have found that vantech.us which manufactures the roof racks has a parts list that shows the individual pieces. Go to the middle of the page and click on "Instruction manual". The needed parts are listed on page 2. I'm going to call them on monday and see about getting some pieces.

http://vantech.us/H3-2-Bar-Van-Rack-w-Endcap-for-RAM-ProMaster-2013-On-H3542W.htm
I found that also! It woud be nice if we could just buy the roof mount parts #45 & 46 if I recall, then fabricate the rest up out of aluminum to hold the solar panels on.

Please let us know what you find out from your call to them.

·
Premium Member
8,725 Posts
:cool:What Keeponvaning said!

·
Registered
170 Posts
If I'm reading the spec sheet correctly it seems to say that there is 740mm in width between the rack attachment points. 740 divided by 25.4 = 29.13 inches. Seems like it should be somewhere around 70 inches. What am I doing wrong here?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I'm reading the spec sheet correctly it seems to say that there is 740mm in width between the rack attachment points. 740 divided by 25.4 = 29.13 inches. Seems like it should be somewhere around 70 inches. What am I doing wrong here?
I noticed that as well. I think "Y" is half the distance ("O" being the other). So presumably you would have to double it to get the overall distance between the pins.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
I just went up and measured and it is exactly 740 mm to the center
So it is X2 for the width..

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
For all us metrically challenged here - I got on a step ladder and actually measured the distances on my 159" with a tape measure. The distance across the back is about 59 ½", the distance on the side from the back forward is 41 ¾" to the second mounting nub and 28" from the second to the third ( i.e. About 70 ¾" total from the back of the van to the third set forward. On my 159" there is one more set on the front but I didn't bother to measure to that point as my fan is in the way and so the front nubs are useless for my purposes.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^^^ That was a real disappointment to see the front mounts in line with the vent fan area. It's amazing that something so obvious would be overlooked by those designing the roof.

·
Super Moderator
9,090 Posts
Actually it's not, the front ones are about 1 ½" in front of where I mounted the fan. I put it in the stamped out flat area of the roof just behind the front seats where either a fan or skylight is supposed to go. I just can't use the front mounting points because my fan is there but if you put the fan in back as many people do then you can use them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
For all us metrically challenged here - I got on a step ladder and actually measured the distances on my 159" with a tape measure. The distance across the back is about 59 ½", the distance on the side from the back forward is 41 ¾" to the second mounting nub and 28" from the second to the third ( i.e. About 70 ¾" total from the back of the van to the third set forward. On my 159" there is one more set on the front but I didn't bother to measure to that point as my fan is in the way and so the front nubs are useless for my purposes.
Thanks for checking the dimensions. The 59" rack spacing should work well for cross mounting of solar panels since many of them are between 65" & 75" long. I would have guessed nearer to 70" from looking at my Ram Commercial brochure with 73.4" inside width. I agree with a previous poster that a tubular aluminum rack structure would be ideal.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts