Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The local dealer doesn't have any extended models, the nearest one is an hour away, so....

I'm starting on the building the layout in Sketchup, and I have the basic dimensions, but I'm trying to place the wheelwells.

What is the distance from the closed rear doors to the wheelwells?

Looking at placing the toilet/wetbath in the left rear corner, need to see how much I'll be working around the wheelwell.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Will this help? Click on it... it gets bigger!

dimensions.jpg

So, it looks like 24 + 1.75 = 25.75".... these measurements have been pretty accurate when I checked 'em on my van. Wheel well height about 16.5-17"

I worked on my floor plan design for months... Finally decided on a porta-potti in the back corner. Two weeks later, Winnebago comes out with the design for the new TravatoK.... they stole my design!>:D

Travato 59K storage and bathroom.jpg

Mine is on a 159, not extended, and much simpler - kind of a weekender van / utility van. Porta-potti removed and the back area becomes a "trunk". I'm designing the doors for the separating wall now. Planning on a pocket door design.

Lots of time spent planning, but that's part of the fun of DIYing it!

Stop by my website if you get a chance...
Ed

·
Premium Member
855 Posts

View attachment 6481

So, it looks like 24 + 1.75 = 25.75".... these measurements have been pretty accurate when I checked 'em on my van. Wheel well height about 16.5-17"

I worked on my floor plan design for months... Finally decided on a porta-potti in the back corner. Two weeks later, Winnebago comes out with the design for the new TravatoK.... they stole my design!>:D

View attachment 6489

Ed
Actually they stole that design from Mercedes:

Attachments

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ed,

That looks good, thanks. I'm a bit suspect of that image though, I thought the cargo floor measurement for the 159ext was 160" (13'4"), not the 144" (12') that is showing.

My layout will be more like the Travato (on the opposite side), or Hein's 3500 Sprinter, having an enclosed wetbath in the left rear corner, long direction going forward. Will allow use of the right rear door for general access and cargo loading. With the two layouts pictured above, I don't expect the rear doors to be used much at all. On mine, I want to have the rear door access easily available.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Zyz....,

Yes, the total looks wrong. My 159 is 144 not 130, so I guess the extended should add 14" to the 144" = 158". It depends on where they put the pictured bulkhead I guess. The bump in at the front between the seats may account for the other 2".

All the other dimensions have worked pretty well for me, for the wheelwell, etc.

jostalli, any idea what sprinter RV that is?

Ed

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Good picture to show how skinny the Sprinters are:eek:!
Look at the top cupboard/wardrobe.
As I've stated before, I believe there is a significant market opportunity for an even wider van than the ProMaster. Even wider than the M-B Vario would be my preference.

A heavy duty 4-wheel van about 90 inches wide would not only make a great camper, but a great work truck too. People drive 96-inch wide dually pickups all the time, so why not a wider van?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I'm trying to remember where I got the diagram from. I thought it was part of the RAM advertising.

"I thought it was 65 and 76, or 11 inches taller. That would explain 90 versus 101 inches overall height."...

It is 65 and 76. I'm 65" so I thought it would be too close for a low top, and bought the high top instead. It is 76", I have a 6" basement/floor, so my floor to roof height = 70", giving me 5" clearance - ceiling = about 3" clearance.... just right!

Ed

ps. Thanks jostalli, I didn't think I had seen that design on a van yet. I am looking forward to seeing a Travato 59K - no one seems to have one yet.

59K.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi Zyzzyx,

Its 30" from closed back door to the start or the wheel well at the wall. The wheel tapers from the wall so the measurement after taper from again the back door closed is 32-33".

Sorry I did not measure the length, width or height of the wheel well. Let me know if you need them.

I did measure the length of the floor from closed back doors to the centre of the front seats at 13' 4".

Cheers

·
Registered
87 Posts

View attachment 6481

View attachment 6489

Mine is on a 159, not extended, and much simpler - kind of a weekender van / utility van. Porta-potti removed and the back area becomes a "trunk". I'm designing the doors for the separating wall now. Planning on a pocket door design.

Lots of time spent planning, but that's part of the fun of DIYing it!

Stop by my website if you get a chance...
Ed
Sorry to bump an old thread but are the back wheel well lengths still 34.6? I thought I measured 34.

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I just went out and measured. To be on the safe side, the smallest length you should make the inner length of a wheel well box is 35 inches. I might have gotten 35 inches the first time I measured but put down 34 for some reason.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts