Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is the actual measured height of my high-roof 1500 unladen? I realized earlier I really need to know this (before I screw up). I'm pretty sure its in the forum here somewhere, but I can't find it now. Seems I remember everyone agreeing that the roof clearance is a bit higher than the 99" (8'3") listed in the brochure, etc., and I think someone got up and measured it. Thx.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
I would measure it myself if I were you. You can't trust the measurement iof someone else's van to match up with yours exactly. You should also check it unloaded if an exact measurement is needed.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
What is the actual measured height of my high-roof 1500 unladen? I realized earlier I really need to know this (before I screw up). I'm pretty sure its in the forum here somewhere, but I can't find it now. Seems I remember everyone agreeing that the roof clearance is a bit higher than the 99" (8'3") listed in the brochure, etc., and I think someone got up and measured it. Thx.
I have a PDF spec sheet that lists the height of the 1500 PM High Top as 101" not 99" and in a dealer parking lot I measured AT LEAST 102.5" but not in ideal conditions.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I don't know what your issue with height is ha3Dy_j1s but I built a garage to store my van in and to work on a conversion inside. I saw the 99" height listed somewhere too and so I built the door openings 8'6" (102") and with the doorstop they are 101.25 clear opening. It looks like I will not be putting the van in. I am a bit pi$$ed about this!

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,508 Posts
I don't know what your issue with height is ha3Dy_j1s but I built a garage to store my van in and to work on a conversion inside. I saw the 99" height listed somewhere too and so I built the door openings 8'6" (102") and with the doorstop they are 101.25 clear opening. It looks like I will not be putting the van in. I am a bit pi$$ed about this!
RD,

You may be OK... my PM is just about 8' 3" unloaded, and was bought to clear my 102" carport... it does!:D (I measured the van and carport about 10 times before purchase....)

Ed

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ouch. Big ouch. A few years ago I almost pulled the trigger on a 1st gen TransitConnect. At the last minute the van's height occured to me. Went home, measured my garage opening ... no go. But now I can say that worked out for the best, for sure. I had to resolve myself to keeping it outside since I first considered getting the tall ProMaster.

So what I've taken here is: Its somewhere between 99" and maybe 103". I guess I should just borrow a stepladder (I'm not at home) and measure my own empty van myself to be certain. Need to borrow a tape measure too I suppose. :D Until then, to be safe, I'll just say its 104" (8'8") when the issue comes up. The other evening I used a Taco Bell drive-thru with a 9ft "Don't ring your bell on this" clearance barrier. I got out and eyeballed it closely before continuing. I gotta admit, I enjoyed the surprised look on the face of the girl working the window when she looked out and stared into a large white panel.

A few years ago I was lucky enough to witness a box truck lodge itself under a low railroad overpass. Will never forget that sound! I watched four guys and a cop stand around and scratch their heads for 20 minutes before someone thought of letting some air out of the tires.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OP, you own a 1500 but can't measure it?
Not unless I un-lazy!

I guess I could stand on the bumper and maybe get a pseudo-accurate measurement. But then that's 240 lbs on the bumper that isn't usually there. And like I said, I knew somebody here had already done it.

But a challenge is a challenge. I guess I'll give it a try.

I need beers first. And emotional support. AND A TAPE MEASURE!

·
Registered
279 Posts
You don't need a tape measure.
Just stack the empty beer bottles on top of each other till you reach the top.
Then measure one and multiply by amount of stacked bottles when you get sober.

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Cans would work better. You'll need more of them plus they stack better?>:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There, ya see ... that's why I come to this forum ... the invaluable wealth of collective first-hand experience!

Really now, let's don't hurt ourselves. I'll just say its 104", okay? :|

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first modification to my 118" WB Low Roof Promaster was a hook to hold down the antenna so I could get in & out of my garage. I used double sided tape to attach a hook I found at Lowes. My van measured a few inches higher than specifications when empty .

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cans would work better. You'll need more of them plus they stack better?>:D
Good point, but you didn't carry your logic quite all the way through. At the risk of starting a glasser vs canner war at the forum, I must point out that by stacking glass bottles you have to start over from scratch ... a lot. (belch)

·
Super Moderator
10,135 Posts
Caught me at a weak moment. I guess I was getting another can the fridge >:D

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,508 Posts
My first modification to my 118" WB Low Roof Promaster was a hook to hold down the antenna so I could get in & out of my garage. I used double sided tape to attach a hook I found at Lowes. My van measured a few inches higher than specifications when empty .
My first modification on my High Roof PM was to cut the antenna so it is the same height as the top of the van. No change in performance, but no scraping on my carport roof :D

Ed

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ed, So far the hook is working. I was fearful of cutting the antenna. I had some 3M exterior double sided tape left over so I tried it to hold the hook.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
....cut....

So what I've taken here is: Its somewhere between 99" and maybe 103". I guess I should just borrow a stepladder (I'm not at home) and measure my own empty van myself to be certain. Need to borrow a tape measure too I suppose. :D

.....cut.....
I think you can measure it fairly accurate, if not more so, without climbing on a ladder. It's very hard to eyeball the highest point relative to tires on ground unless you also have a level and very flat floor.

I'd measure the van's inside height dimension at highest point from sheet metal to sheet metal, and then add the dimension from that same point (or close by) to ground under van. You can even add an extra 1/16-inch for the floor and roof sheet metal thicknesses if obsessive about accuracy.:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts