Ram Promaster Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
I have done Marmolium as a set of tiles, 1’ by 2’ or so IIRC. It goes down well and would solve the cabinet moved issue. The joints seem to be tight but I hear you about water getting under. I did it in a bathroom and now about 10 years later that floor in a friend’s house looks great even after being flooded once but mopped up soon. It is one of the few floorings that give a reasonable protection against that heat conduction. I too would never put it under the cabinets but that may come from long experience in house building like KOV.

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
But, the manufacturer would seem to disagree (at least for warranty or guarantee purposes). I would also suggest they would not recommend Marmolium for use in a van for the very reasons you suggest it’s a good choice as they most likely would not want to stand by it. I’m not saying it shouldn’t be used, only relaying what the manufacturer recommends as to recommended installation procedures and use. I’m only the messenger 🤔!

I wouldn’t use it personally because it doesn’t fulfill any of my needs in a van floor but those are my needs and probably not most van owners needs. If I found a remnant piece on sale cheap ($100 or less) I might consider buying it and if I saw a sale on Marmolium tiles, as RD mentioned, I might consider them also but otherwise NO.

Don’t take it personally - if something works for you go for it!😏

Some other thoughts from both pro’s and diy’ers.

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
It is really nice stuff, not related to vinyl flooring or plastic plank, much higher quality and worth it if you can find a deal. I’d use it in a minute!

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I could have gotten a remnant for $80, but MrNomer suggested I pay $20 more for the color I really like. It was a bigger piece, so I still have some leftover.

Isn't all residential flooring supposed to be laid last so it can be changed out over the life of the house, plus it doesn’t get damaged during construction? But as you said, the van isn’t a house and the rules may differ. I read up extensively on installation issues and decided that although I would leave a room in the house to the pros, we could do the van correctly.

·
Super Moderator
7,733 Posts
And I would do it myself also if I was going to use it. I’m only relating the manufactures’ recommendations. If it were me I would, most likely, ignore them completely and do it my way anyhow😏 but I’m not advocating that approach to anyone else. If you got a piece for $100 I would say you did well especially if you put it down yourself. I won’t rat on you to the manufacturer 🤭. I seem to remember the OP (or someone else) quoting a price of about $800 for the material alone. Any good finished floor in a van for $100 or less is a great deal - $800 is more than I would consider as my whole conversion to date (sans finished flooring) is under $3000 and most here, other than RD, would be shocked to see how far I could make $3000 go. I would certainly put the quality, comfort, design and usefulness of my van up against any here that others have spent well over four times as much building.

·
Premium Member
8,071 Posts
Yes but you have skills, are really cheap and have the best dump (transfer station) I can imagine! It all halps.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
My CFO informed me that my budget for the build was $2k.
My skills/ambition are questionable.
I'll have to shoot for really cheap.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Whew...a lot of marmoleum posts since I was last here. Yeah, not gluing it down for now. I could be wrong, but I can always go back and glue it with minimal effort. The way I am envisioning my final build won't require a ton of effort if I needed to remove items to free up the floor. I did contact someone who floated marmoleum in their van and they haven't had any issues really in about a year. No telegraphing of the jute backing, and they have seen some movement with temp changes but said it was minimum. MOVING ON from that now!

Internal panels are in. We applied waterborne polyurethane on them. The panels in the garage area will stay finished as-is while the ones in the living area will eventually be wrapped with fabric along with any exposed van ribs and pillars to finish it out. But for now we are trying to get things in place so we can figure out how to build in the next pieces and have a usable van in the meantime. Figuring out how to do the internal build out while handling all of the van curves and limited attachment points is the most challenging part for me. I'm sure some of these will come back out as I start to run wires.

20200329_164400.jpg 20200329_164411.jpg

I'd love to get the windows in, but haven't had a good weather window. I want to get the bed platform "finished" and then start on the wheel well boxes to allow for starting of the electrical component mounting.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts