Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to install Maxxfan. Definitely want it towards the back of the van and would like to preserve the ability to use a roof rack in the future for a pair of 14ft kayaks and the occasional hauling of my 32 foot ladder. Unless I've mis-measured, it looks like I can't squeeze the fan into the last roof section on a 136 as fan is about 22 inches long and the fan's rain cover lifts up in rear, interfering with rearmost rack bar. I hate to chop up the roof space in case I go nuts with solar later, but I"m guessing I'd have to locate the fan in the second roof section in from the rear. Or give up on ever using a roof rack, which means buying shorter kayaks and letting them live inside the van.

Anybody else with a 136 using a roof rack and Maxxfan towards back of van and getting them to play nice with each other?

Thanks,

SVan

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
A picture of the roof rack you are using or want to use would be helpful for the rest of us to visualize. Roof racks are not all the same.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A picture of the roof rack you are using or want to use would be helpful for the rest of us to visualize. Roof racks are not all the same.
Whichever rack is lowest in profile and narrowest in cross bar width, taking up the least space. Probably this one-

https://www.etrailer.com/multi-product.aspx?pc1=RB1800B-2&pc2=RRRLCP22&hhmake=Ram&hhmodel=ProMaster+1500&hhyear=2016&vehicleid=20161527240&hunter=roof&roofkit=BK_2,SKI_1,C_24,AWN_2,BAG_1,BSK_2

I'd also love a picture of somebody else's set up. Searched, but couldn't find one. I have two easy options: put the vent in the second section in from the rear or buy the vent without the rain cover, as proeddie suggests. Unfortunately, we're sold on the raincover. East of the Mississippi, where I live and where I'll do much of my vanning, it rains too much to skip this feature.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Mount the feet of the rack to the roof and then attach a side rail length of your choosing front to back on the feet. Your cross rails then can be attached to the side rails at the spacing you desire.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
This is what I have on my van the second from last cross member removed for fan. Ii does sit high off the van roof thought. The photoshopped image is not correct. My 12' rack over hangs as in the picture on my 159" but just might reach the front mount. I did have it attached to the front and back mounts, but with only two sets of feet the front mount cavitated too much.You need at least 3 sets of feet, they only supply 2 sets.
https://www.americanvan.com/topper-hot-dip-galvanized-10-cargo-carrier-rack-for-dodge-ram-promaster.html

·
Registered
629 Posts
I dropped one VanTech mount on to sight down... with the dome of the roof it's interference city to this MaxFan. Adding a spacer between the mount/bar would keep it off the plastic cover, have to match the spacer add to all bars, but hey...

Sorry, this is a 159" where there are four anchor points, not a 136"... Loosing the rearmost bar position still provides 84"span from 1st to 3rd anchor, subtracting 42"-ish off total span, so on a 136" WB I guess it'd be just under 5-foot span remaining?

I'm not brave enough to remove a roof spar in case someday he/she/me/they needs to be on the roof...

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for replies/suggestions. Super helpful. I have more roof rack options than I thought, so will have to take a longer look at those.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
Is this a common problem? If so we might be interested in designing a custom cross bar to solve this.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did a lot of measuring of my two fan placements prior cutting. Not only did I need to work around interior supports but didn't want to interfere with future rack options. I installed one Fantastic Fan and one Maxx Air. I'm now going to have to replace the Maxx Air because it's too long on top and is in the way of my rack bars going on.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Had my MaxxFan installed last week and had to put it in the second section from the rear of my promaster (136"). I wanted it in last section but it would have interfered with the cross bar on my roof rack.
Hein if you designed one you might find a lot of purchasers in the future. I certainly would have purchased one before the installation was done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had my MaxxFan installed last week and had to put it in the second section from the rear of my promaster (136"). I wanted it in last section but it would have interfered with the cross bar on my roof rack.
Hein if you designed one you might find a lot of purchasers in the future. I certainly would have purchased one before the installation was done.
That's what I ended up doing, as well. Not ideal, but necessary to avoid fan/rack interference.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rumor has it, that someone with a Sprinter, bought a roof rack from Aluminess . They have 2 MaxxAir fans that clear the underside of the rack. I'll try get some more info on it, but I would love to have a rack that would clear MaxxAir fan height.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
MaxxAir Fan Postion for 136" WB

I'm awakening this older thread because I am making this very same decision this morning.

Like many, I believe the ideal position for my roof fan/vent is the rear-most panel of the roof, over the sleeping area. *My only widow is the in the slider so this would make for the best circulation.

However, installing the fan in this rear-most roof section means obstructing any factory mounted roof-rack cross piece in the future. Unless the rack was high enough to clear the fan in the raised position.

Has any of our OPs discovered a solution and/or best decision?

Has a roof rack with ample clearance entered the market? (this solution, I suspect, would mean a roof rack much higher than anyone would like)

My plan is to go with the rear-most panel and forget trying to future-proof for a rear roof rack in the future.
It seems that keeping this whole towards the far back as opposed to semi-center will afford more options in the future if need be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
MaxxFan/Roof Rack Interference

I am dealing with the same issue. My plan is to attach longitudinal unistrut to overhang the van-tech mounts. so Then I can move the crossbar back to clear the fan and locate the other crossbars in the best position for my solar. I am using the bottom half of the vantech mount (they can be purchased separately) and short pieces of aluminum channel to save a little money and customize the height.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Aluminess is custom order ..they will measure and work around fans and panels...cost is high around 3-4k.
I made my rack using vantech mounts and unsitrut. Back ends 2 solar panels, middle max fan ,and in front a place to put spare tire, cargo, etc... Getting it powder coated tommorow for $300. The rack cost under $150.
I can't add pics anymore...email me if you want pics [email protected]

·
Premium Member
7,198 Posts
Buying a different fan might be as well. I have a Fantastic Vent with the “Flat” cover that extends only about 2.25” from the roof. If your bars were only 4” high it would still open and run. BTW it works great and cost $115. Might be worth a try.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts