Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone have experience installing the maxxfan off center? I'm looking to install it near the sliding door. maybe a couple inches from the edge. This is in hopes to maximize roof space in case I want to throw a kayak up there for a summer. Or for future solar expansion who knows. Im wondering if it will be too weird with the curve. I dont want any surprises. Also I assume the Hein adapters arent designed for this placement?

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,530 Posts
It should be no different from anywhere else on the roof other than the flat spot. Curvature of the roof is uniform--the arc of a circle.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I doubt you'll run into any major technical issues mounting to one side or the other, but I would reconsider putting it on the sliding door side. Not that it won't work, but because if you plan on putting a kayak on the van that's the best place tie it down. Speaking from experience, it's incredibly difficult to get a kayak on the roof of a high top van. That 15" or so of a step that the open sliding door gives you is incredibly useful in getting the kayak situated and tied down. Also if you may be launching from a roadside it allows you to stay on the non-traffic side of the van.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will post some of the arrangements I'm considering tonight.
it's incredibly difficult to get a kayak on the roof of a high top van. That 15" or so of a step that the open sliding door gives you is incredibly useful in getting the kayak situated and tied down. Also if you may be launching from a roadside it allows you to stay on the non-traffic side of the van.
that's a great thought. Problem is that area is the only place i won't have over head storage.
I have a full size roof rack with side walls. And ill most likely add a ladder. Would those things improve the ability of loading a kayak or were you dealing with the same set up?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks I will post some of the arrangements I'm considering tonight. that's a great thought. Problem is that area is the only place i won't have over head storage.
I have a full size roof rack with side walls. And ill most likely add a ladder. Would those things improve the ability of loading a kayak or were you dealing with the same set up?

I don't have a roof rack on my Promaster, but I did on my last van. The ladder should be a big help in getting the kayak up and down and securing it, and honestly it might be the only way depending on your kayak and physical abilities. I'm in pretty good shape, but I gave up on the idea of transporting my kayak on the roof after the first couple times I tried it. My kayak is a 12' SOT fishing model so it's a lot heavier than most, but it was an absolute bear to get it up there. Especially at the end of a long day of paddling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah Ive seen those rear kayak hookups. Pretty sweet. I may go that way in the end but for now i want to explore the best solar panel distribution with the possibility of putting a kayak up top. To be honest I dont even kayak yet but this summer I plan on learning to river kayak. From what i can Ill want one that around 7' to 9'. and eventually longer but maybe not for a couple years.

Ive attached a number of options I am hoping you guys can help me pick from and point out potential pros and cons. FYI the inner grey represents the area the fan could actually cut into. The curvature of the roof starts at the top of the grey towards the front. This is why I haven't put any panels past that as I believe it would be a quite poor for aero dynamics hanging over the front end.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm leaning towards A. But it's the least wattage. Any issues with that arrangment or do you like any others? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
243 Posts
Are you set on mounting your fan at the front? Maybe consider a rear-mounted fan beside the kayak space and you could have a large panel mounted across at the front. There are a number of 60-65" x ~40" options.

Also, you could have the tail of the kayak overhang the rear of the van. Not typical on a van but people do it wit sea kayaks on cars and trucks all the time. As long as the centre of the kayak is secure I think you'd be fine.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you set on mounting your fan at the front? Maybe consider a rear-mounted fan beside the kayak space and you could have a large panel mounted across at the front. There are a number of 60-65" x ~40" options.

Also, you could have the tail of the kayak overhang the rear of the van. Not typical on a van but people do it wit sea kayaks on cars and trucks all the time. As long as the centre of the kayak is secure I think you'd be fine.
Well my living space will be at the front with the back 30" a vertical garage. Beyond that ill have overhead storage so I'm kinda stuck with that area. At first i preferred a single panel but i had some advice from a senior member here about how multiple panels helps to avoid partial shading issues.
You're very right about the overhanging so i might be good a few of these options. That's why hoping to get some pros and cons on the options i drafted.

·
Registered
414 Posts
how will the kayak sit on roof? will panels be on roof rack? may have to consider how u get kayak on top w/o damaging panels. a folding kayak may work to start. u say u may want to expand panels. that would complicate any solution u choose now. keep thinking it through first then set ur priorities.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Roblee Complications

how will the kayak sit on roof? will panels be on roof rack? may have to consider how u get kayak on top w/o damaging panels. a folding kayak may work to start. u say u may want to expand panels. that would complicate any solution u choose now. keep thinking it through first then set ur priorities.
Roblee, Id love for you to take a look at the pictures I posted. That might help you get a better idea of my situation. As for getting kayaks on and off, Ill have a ladder and I can stand on the roof rack. I have no concern about this. I am very am very abled and do not fear a little hardship in return for the freedom of not hauling a trailer
Also I have a 100v MPPT so please explain what "complications" I might run into with adding panels later. Maybe Im missing something but I can't know without a little mentorship.

·
Registered
414 Posts
By complication I meant only spatial: if you decide on a design that works now it might not later when/if you want to add other things to the roof.

I can't picture how kayak attaches to rack if panels are also mounted to rack. Do you want to carry kayak so it doesn't cover the panels?

A low profile Fantastic Fan may be below rack level so any position would work.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have experience installing the maxxfan off center? ...

...Also I assume the Hein adapters arent designed for this placement?

We do produce adapters for offset vents. We can make them so the vent
sits level or parallel to the chord of the roof. We think level looks better
with other items like roof racks.

These are made custom but for the same price as our standard adapter.
Please contact Kim to order. Contact info at DIYvan.com

We are also making adapters for larger sunroofs and euro style
pop up windows. Please call.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

·
Registered
98 Posts
We do produce adapters for offset vents. We can make them so the vent
sits level or parallel to the chord of the roof. We think level looks better
with other items like roof racks.

These are made custom but for the same price as our standard adapter.
Please contact Kim to order. Contact info at DIYvan.com

We are also making adapters for larger sunroofs and euro style
pop up windows. Please call.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com
That's interesting-I literally just ordered one, and I intend to offset it by two ribs towards the drivers side in order to accomodate a possible future rack and cargo box. It also lands it nicely over the galley. I personally feel that if it were a tad lower I would prefer that, even if not flat, however it begs the question: how much thicker would the "drivers side" of my adapter be than the standard if I asked for it to be offset? I realize I could put a straight edge across the roof and guess, but it sounds like you've thought about this, what do you find?

Thanks, and Thinsulate is going well, just did cab area yesterday, front doors next.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
By complication I meant only spatial: if you decide on a design that works now it might not later when/if you want to add other things to the roof.
Oh I see. Thanks, kinda feels like your asking back the same question I'm asking. ;)

I can't picture how kayak attaches to rack if panels are also mounted to rack. Do you want to carry kayak so it doesn't cover the panels?
Its cool. I think I'm settled on the 3x100w skinny panels on the option A in the diagram I uploaded. This would give me 10'x3' of free space.

A low profile Fantastic Fan may be below rack level so any position would work.
Yeah I realized that after i bought everything. Ill end up removing a bar on my rack to accommodate for the maxxfan deluxe. I sure hope the benifits of that are worth modding my rack.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
187 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone have experience installing the maxxfan off center? I'm looking to install it near the sliding door. maybe a couple inches from the edge. This is in hopes to maximize roof space in case I want to throw a kayak up there for a summer. Or for future solar expansion who knows. Im wondering if it will be too weird with the curve. I dont want any surprises. Also I assume the Hein adapters arent designed for this placement?
I have two Maxxfans on my roof, one off center in the front over my wet bath and the second centered in the rear. This old post may be helpful.

LINK

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
That's interesting-I literally just ordered one, and I intend to offset it by two ribs towards the drivers side in order to accomodate a possible future rack and cargo box. It also lands it nicely over the galley. I personally feel that if it were a tad lower I would prefer that, even if not flat, however it begs the question: how much thicker would the "drivers side" of my adapter be than the standard if I asked for it to be offset? I realize I could put a straight edge across the roof and guess, but it sounds like you've thought about this, what do you find?

Thanks, and Thinsulate is going well, just did cab area yesterday, front doors next.
Thank you for being our customer and glad to hear you are happy with the Thinsulate(TM). My apologies for the slow reply. I'll also reply to your email.

If we move the vent 12 inches off center then the adapter will be .50 thick on the outside and .16" on the inside. This position will have the outer and inner edge of the adapter on the upper surfaces on the roof (not the valleys). The offset distance can be what ever you need it to be. Roof curvature is more-or-less constant but that does mean the the thickness difference (slope) will increase a bit as we move outward from center.

We think having the vent level to the ground is a better look especially if there is a also a rack or solar panels. The angle is only a few degrees so probably not even noticeable to most casual observers. For me, it's these kind of details that set some builds apart.

We would be happy to exchange your adapter for one that allows your vent to sit level. We can send out the new adapter and then you can return the other one. Please contact Kim to arrange. Let her or me know how far offset you want the placement.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan.com

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
187 Posts
We think having the vent level to the ground is a better look especially if there is a also a rack or solar panels. The angle is only a few degrees so probably not even noticeable to most casual observers. For me, it's these kind of details that set some builds apart.

I definitely agree that having the vent level (parallel to the floor surface) is the best approach. That is what I did in the pics I gave the link to in my earlier response. I offset the fan the maximum amount to the driver's side and that brought it just within my 28" wide wet bath.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts