Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase my fans shortly and was going to go with the Maxxfan 7500 (intake/exhaust, remote) and I've noticed a lot of negative reviews on Amazon about issues with voltage, the units getting overloaded, needing new circuitboards, etc.

Has anyone here installed one of these and has feedback on them? I like the idea of having a remote and the intake option versus just exhaust, but obviously don't want to install 2 of them and have both fail. Here are some of the reviews I've seen on Amazon:

Maxxfan Amazon

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
It seems that issue is confined to models with remotes. There have only been a few complaints posted on this forum. One of those includes a work around, if you ever need it. We love our non-remote version, but I wouldn't be afraid of the remote version.

·
Administrator
‘20 159 HT window van NH Seacoast
11,773 Posts
I had an older (2014) one with a remote. It worked fine but I bought a manual one for my ‘20.

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
732 Posts
i been using mine almost every day for the last few year. No issue beside it make a low squeak noise when I'm running on lowest speed. Tried spraying lube in the motor area but didn't help. Mine is manual version.

·
Registered
Van #2 2021 EXT
4,033 Posts
I’m aware of the reported issue (reported these fans are finicky about the voltage being around 12volts).

We had zero issues with out 2018 van, however it would be unlikely we operated the fan when the alternator was on (over 14 volts). IIRC we did operate the fan when plugged into shore power 13.8volts but did not experience any issues.

These fans are “standard” hole in your roof (14” x 14” IIRC), so if you have to replace the entire unit it can be done simply by unscrewing the fan from the base unit & getting another one (4 screws). Or if going to another brand, removing the base unit & a new brand should fit in that hole.

We really like the remote, but it is not necessary.

Apparently the “fix” to Maxxair’s design flaw is a voltage regulator called a “buck boost”;

Photo of Example Only - I have not researched which one is correct;
Font Parallel Screenshot Auto part Cable

Maybe a Member who has had issues & installed a buck boost can chime in here - anyone?

FYI; usually any manufacturer who produces a product “like Dometic with there non-replacement toilet seals so you basically have to buy a new toilet” I kick to the curb”. So if I can all help it I will not buy Dometic anything. I personally think Maxxair sucks in regards to producing an RV appliance that will break on typical RV voltages that are seen in 12v RV electrical systems. In other words their product is flawed for real world application - their voltage tolerance is too narrow. So in principle that sucks, but I am willing to take the chance or install a buck boost in order to use their fans - that is how much I like their fans.

The Dometic thread reference - In Case You Care;

·
Registered
32 Posts
i been using mine almost every day for the last few year. No issue beside it make a low squeak noise when I'm running on lowest speed. Tried spraying lube in the motor area but didn't help. Mine is manual version.
I will second this. I have the version with the remote and only issues is squeaking noise at the lowest speed. I contacted the manufacturer about this and they suggested running full speed for 24 hours to reseat the bearing.

I had replaced an older manual version that was installed when I got my 2018 that had malfunctioned.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the remote version and had also heard about the voltage sensitivity issues. I installed the transformer that RV8 shows (6 amp size), it's a cheap easy form of insurance. Been working fine for 8 months.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get the remote model - you can always operate it manually, but you may regret not having the remote if the fan isn't in an accessible location. In my opinion, the squeak/faulty circuit board issue is actually a problem where the carbon dust from the motor brushes clogs the inside of the motor housing. If it shorts out the stators the circuitry shuts it down. If it just gets into the bearings it causes the squeaks. It's easy to remove the motor to open it and clean the dust out and lube the bearings. I don't think higher voltage from lithium batteries would cause either of those issues. It is possible that too high a voltage may damage the circuit board, since some have reported that replacing the board solved their issue. I added voltage regulator in that circuit at my fuse block as a precaution.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have two and they've been in the van since 2015 (They were installed by the previous owner). As far as I know he had no issues with them (He documented every single repair done to the van). Since 2017 the only issues I have had are when I backed out of my barn with one vent open and the door wasn't high enough 😣 ( That repair involved changing out the gear mechanism that opens the vent, but other than that they've been perfect!). The only issue that wasn't self inflicted is that some of the lines on the LCD screen of one remote are out, but they still work.

I use my fans nearly every single day, and would HIGHLY recommend them! No exaggeration at all, they are the #1 part of my build that I would not be without. You'll especially like the remote around 3-4am when the temps drop and you want to slow or close the vent, but not get out of bed. And then there's the thermostat controlled setting which works great if you leave one open, but off and the other set to auto. This way even in the heat of the day you can come back to your van without it felling like the inside of a woodstove.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
I've had a Maxxaire 7500 since 2014. Use the remote occasionally. I have had one issue... the little lifting gearbox broke. $15 and about 10 minutes later, all good.

My 7500 also had the option for a wired remote. Got it and may install it some day. Uses a cat 5 network wire... pretty nice!

I'm a Maxxaire "fan" !

ps. I can't see why anyone needs two.... The amount of airflow if one is set for IN and one is set for OUT would seem to me to be the same as if you have 1 fan and one equally sized intake area (open window, skylight, etc)

·
Registered
2018 ProMaster 3500 159" extended Fulltime 4 season van build
440 Posts
Ditto on most of the post so far, we've got 2 7500s and have a little motor squeak on speed 1-3 only on 1 fan. I just purchased the conformal spray to coat the PCB due to a recent issue with moisture buildup due to having it nice and toasty inside when it was 18 degrees f outside. The fan started opening and running on it's own but once it dried out it was back to normal. I've heard the newer built unit have the coating but only hearsay. Bought mine in 2018 and have used ours almost daily for over 1 year.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My understanding is that the over-voltage issue was with an earlier production run of the circuit board for this fan. The newer fans have revised circuitry that shouldn't have this issue with voltage. I've installed a bunch of these fans and only ever had one eventually need the replacement circuit board. Parts are available for these fans, but like everything else right now, many things are backordered and hard to get. Maxxfan will warranty your circuit board if it fails due to the voltage issue, but you might have to wait.

The issue with the motor squeak is also fairly easy to resolve, it seems to come from carbon dust build-up in the motor after extended use. You can disassemble the motor (carefully), blow it out, and that should eliminate the squeak. Applying lube from the outside doesn't really work because the motor is pretty well sealed. Here's a video about the clean-out process:
. I've done this procedure several times with good success.

I do like this fan a lot, it's the one that I prefer to install for all my builds. The performance is great, and though I've never personally had an issue with the build quality, it could be better. I've often thought that if Maxxfan would make a "heavy duty" version of this fan with a premium build, they could probably sell it for half again what the 7500 goes for.

-Derek
apogeefab.com

·
Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
732 Posts
Thanks for the video, mine was squeaking on the lowest speed. Did that yesterday and majority of the squeaking is gone. There were a lot of carbon dust inside. One of my bushing spring came off when I was removing the internal motor so put a towel underneath so it will catch anything that's falls off and wear your dirty clothes. I got bunch of carbon dust on my jacket when I was removing the motor housing.

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
814 Posts
I have this one. The only problem I had with it is I expected too much from it. I need it for its vent properties. But it's not much of a fan. I love fans in the summer. Moving air doesn't nave to be cold, just moving.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
4,045 Posts
I have this one. The only problem I had with it is I expected too much from it. I need it for its vent properties. But it's not much of a fan. I love fans in the summer. Moving air doesn't nave to be cold, just moving.
Hers'a few ideas...

Option 1: I highly recommend this fan...adjustable speeds and 12V. Legs to hold upright because it's made thin for storage...(and I have a brand new one ready to ship! Special discount for dog owners...)

FS: Brand NEW Fantastic Endless Breeze 12V Box Fan $99 +...

Option 2: More affordable, less air but nice...

https://www.amazon.com/10000mAh-Por...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Option 3: D battery or 12V 10" fan (yes I have 2 of these new too!) They have an AC adapter, but I've converted them to a 12V plug on the cord instead.

Amazon.com: O2COOL Treva 10 Inch Portable Desktop Air Circulation Battery Powered Fan | 2 Speed Control, Compact Folding and Tilt Design w/ AC Adapter ( 2 PACK ) : Home & Kitchen

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
814 Posts
I have this one: it came with 2x 4ah batteries.

Sports equipment Personal protective equipment Automotive wheel system Communication Device Gadget

Plus I have 2 of these:
Font Electric blue Circle Electronics accessory Transparency

·
Premium Member
1,131 Posts
The voltage related failures that I have seen come into the shop have been on the version that auto turns on with the built in thermostat.

It is just another example of why I suggest to people to build a 24 volt power system and use a DC - DC regulator for ALL of the 12 volt device loads.

Some fans don't work under the normally expected upper voltage range experienced in a van.

Some heaters and refrigerators don't work in the lower range.

DC -DC is juuuust right, said the little bear.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts