Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've raised this question in other posts, but thought I'd post a new topic to see if others have had a similar experience, and if there are any remedies.
My maxxair 7000k is mounted about 3' back behind the drivers and passenger seats- centered.
When I reach or exceed about 60 mph the wind noise coming from the fan while it is closed is driving me nuts. I can't have a comfortable conversation with the passenger, my kids have trouble hearing the TV. I'm at a point now that this outweighs the positives of the fan and I'm looking at ways to fix it or remove it. All the effort I've made to quiet the van down is negated by this fan. Removing it seems like a big task, maybe going to a fantastic vent is a solution. I'm thinking of maybe a small deflector in front of it to divert some of the wind?
I've read other have fixed a rattle... Has anyone experienced this wind noise. The best way I can describe it is it sounds like a rolled down a window.
I've contacted maxxair, they transfer me to a voicemail of a person who is out of town.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I also installed a MaxxFan in the "sunroof cutout" area just behind the seats. I get the same wind noise you are describing, although it is not excessively loud if the fan is fully closed. If the fan is open at all, it is very loud while driving. Once I get my roof lining installed, I plan to have a way to cover the fan to help reduce or block the wind noise.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,511 Posts
I had/have exactly the same problem. The cover does not completely seat and rises/flutters at speed.

I live less than 100 miles from the factory and have met the engineer who designed the fan. He personally replaced the operator mechanism and we thought the problem was fixed, but it is not.

We are traveling in CA at the moment. I will get back with him when I get home probably next week. One way or the other, we will fix this problem. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have 2 of the Maxxairs both remote controlled. One is opposite the sliding door and one is near the rear. I have driven with them open and closed and do not detect any noise. Most wind noise I hear is from the rear view mirrors. Mine were installed by a company that does van conversions and the actual employee doing the work has done it for many years. Could installation make the difference?

·
Registered
625 Posts
One Maxxair deluxe, installed at the very rear of the (long) van. Don't hear any noises directly from the vent, and that's with it open nearly all the time. Have done some full-day drives at highway speed into a headwind, don't notice anything resembling wind noise or rattles. Though, at the distance to the back of the van, not sure I would hear anything.

When I do operate the lid, it opens and closes solidly; no rattles or wiggles.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy and install another one if needed. I definitely prefer the lid design to that of the Fantastic fan.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a manual-control MaxxFan Deluxe mounted in the "sunroof cutout" area. At highway speeds, the wind noise is loud enough to be annoying when open, but when fully closed the noise is no problem, can easily hear the radio, GPS voice, etc. After closing, I always push in the vent lid knob to the "lock" position.

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
185 Posts
I don't think so. Installation involves just the "box" the fan sits in. This problem is in the mechanism that holds the lid closed.
I have two Maxxfan 7000's ready for installation and have been reading this and other posts with interest. The mounting flange that goes on top of the roof seems fairly sturdy but could easily be distorted if secured against other than a flat surface. It seems that the installation method normally used on Promasters includes the use of epdm tape or other elastomeric to fill the gaps caused by corrugations, crown of the roof, and in my case the transition from corrugations to prepared skylight zone behind seats. I'm thinking about lightly clamping the top flange in position at the high spots then filling the voids from the side with polyester putty (Bondo). Next I would do the same with my wooden spacer frame from below. Finally I would add screws to secure the two together and use dicor to seal screw heads and all exposed polyester putty.

Any thoughts as to whether this system will work? It seems like this method would assure a flat plane for the top flange to be secured against, thus eliminating possible distortion and resulting wind noise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have two Maxxfan 7000's ready for installation and have been reading this and other posts with interest. The mounting flange that goes on top of the roof seems fairly sturdy but could easily be distorted if secured against other than a flat surface. It seems that the installation method normally used on Promasters includes the use of epdm tape or other elastomeric to fill the gaps caused by corrugations, crown of the roof, and in my case the transition from corrugations to prepared skylight zone behind seats. I'm thinking about lightly clamping the top flange in position at the high spots then filling the voids from the side with polyester putty (Bondo). Next I would do the same with my wooden spacer frame from below. Finally I would add screws to secure the two together and use dicor to seal screw heads and all exposed polyester putty.

Any thoughts as to whether this system will work? It seems like this method would assure a flat plane for the top flange to be secured against, thus eliminating possible distortion and resulting wind noise.
Hey, someone just posted last week; they are selling plastic pieces (2, top and bottom), that are made for installing the vent over the ribs in the roof; it would seem this would be a better solution than doing the bondo you suggested... (do I get a discount for the plug?) :)

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242081&postcount=18

·
Registered
2015 Promaster 3500 159 Ext gas silver
185 Posts
I did read the post concerning the milled plastic plates. Even with these pieces in place there are still voids to be filled. If the fan is placed in a roof area where the corrugations are symmetrical I can see that they would work quite well and probably not deflect into the corrugations. In my case the desired mounting location laps part way into the prepared skylight location and thus presents an asymmetrical mounting surface that would not mate uniformly with the plastic plates. The advantage of the polyester putty is that it would fill any voids regardless of size. Use of the milled plates would also raise the fan by the thickness of one plate.

·
Registered
314 Posts
The channels on the roof are two different depths, I think I used 3/8 and 1/4" plastic sheet to fill, cut them on a table saw to match the angles. When I targeted the A/C and vent fan I put them where I wanted them and filled the channels. I also made a roof brace to help hold the weight of the A/C and prevent it from bouncing.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
In the raised section where the skylight might go you won't need any shims as the centered 14+" cut will avoid any high or low corrugations. In fact I centered mine in that section and had a completely flat surface to mount my Fantastic Vent into. Easy Peasy! Mount behind it at your own risk.

Reactions: KeepMeMoving

·
Registered
810 Posts
In the raised section where the skylight might go you won't need any shims as the centered 14+" cut will avoid any high or low corrugations. In fact I centered mine in that section and had a completely flat surface to mount my Fantastic Vent into. Easy Peasy! Mount behind it at your own risk.
Are you happy with the Fantastic Vent?
Did you do a thread on that somewheres?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I didn't post it in my build thread because others have. I am very happy with the Fantastic Vent. I have had them before and found them to be quiet when closed, parts easy to get if needed, lid replaceable, and lots of ways to vent, in, out, three speeds, shut off when closing. I have never had the Maxxair fan so I can't compare. The Fantastic Vent I bought from an ebay seller for $114 so the price as good too.
I didn't photograph it I guess. I have a picture of it installed.

Reactions: jimmbomb

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the fantasic fan mounted where RDs is and I get a lot of wind noise. If RDs doesn't make noise, then I should take a closer look to see what might be causing it.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts