Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am new to this forum but am planning to purchase a PM (159" WB High Top) and do my own camper build. I am planning to mount a maxx fan in the roof for situations where I do not have shore power and a heat pump air conditioner for the times when I do.

That said, I am also planning to install a couple of solar panels on the roof and want to make sure that I have plenty of space to install them and minimize the risk of shading from the maxx fan and air conditioner.

What I was wondering is what everyone thought of trying to install the maxx fan and air conditioner side by side instead of mounting them along the center line one behind the other.

I don't know if that's just too much metal to remove between any two braces or if that would be too much load for that section in any case.

I know that there are a lot of experienced folks on here, so thought that I would solicit the thoughts of those that have been there and done that.

Thanks for all the help!

Duane

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Egad man that 159"er roof is over 12 feet long! Don't even think of side by side! I am about to install a fantastic vent (3 speed in and out) because I have had one before and it did everything I wanted for $114 from ebay. Most vents and fan/vents are 14"X14" cut outs so I checked and found the skylight shaped area near the front of the van has ribs that are 14" from front to back and if you center on the center rib you get to cut a 14" square hole and avoid any remaining ribs! I will have my bed in back and from previous campers I know I want an opening window back there and the vent/fan up front so its perfect! My galley will be up there too so it will exhaust the cooking fumes and steam. Then there is plenty of distance for 2 solar panels side by side and behind that room for an RV AC unit. I have a 136" HT. BTW I do not plan to put on AC YMMV.
Good luck

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you're only looking at a couple solar panels (around 250-300 watts total) you should have plenty of room. Mount the a/c at the rear, Maxxfan in front of that, and probably still have space for the panels.

Now if you're looking to max out on solar, then the real estate on the roof gets a bit valuable. If you can make sure there's enough support for the a/c, the only thing holding it back would be the external aesthetics. Kinda odd to have an a/c off-center, but if you look at the roofs of larger RVs and trailers, they have things all over the place.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I'm only planning to install 2 panels right now, so plenty of room for that. I'd like to keep my options open for up to 4 in the future, but I think that you're right in that the maxx fan should be pretty low, so should be able to put some around that.

RD - The "egad man" made me laugh. I'm sure that I'll go the more traditional route, but wanted to see if anyone had any success with this idea.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I'm just on here to entertain,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the input. I'm only planning to install 2 panels right now, so plenty of room for that. I'd like to keep my options open for up to 4 in the future, but I think that you're right in that the maxx fan should be pretty low, so should be able to put some around that.

RD - The "egad man" made me laugh. I'm sure that I'll go the more traditional route, but wanted to see if anyone had any success with this idea.

Thanks!
Do share with us, How is everything is working for you :) This will help other users also

Regards
Air Conditioner Repair Phoenix Company

·
Registered
22 Posts
All,

I would recommend the kit that i can provide you with. This fits in the cavity above the cab. Heat and A/C and taps into the factory heat and a/c lines. Controller is in the cab to the left of the steering wheel.

I can also supply interior lining kits. I have attached pictures.
Bryn

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
All,

I would recommend the kit that i can provide you with. This fits in the cavity above the cab. Heat and A/C and taps into the factory heat and a/c lines. Controller is in the cab to the left of the steering wheel.

Bryn
Tell us more! I'am sure quite a number of PM owners will be interested. I personally would want the Head liner. Is the head liner a vacuumed formed piece and if so who makes it and supplies the kits? 118" low top.

·
Registered
233 Posts
All,

Bryn
Pictures Attached
Hi bjvanextras,

Many have searched long and hard to find the thermo formed liners you are offering and in fact we have asked you for further details the last time you offered them up. See your post http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25345 and the follow up requests, not sure if any one else got a reply but I did not.

Can you please at this time provide us with details on: versions you stock (118, 136, 159, 159EXT etc.), pricing, your location re shipping logistics?

Is this you http://www.vanextras.ca?

If you can sell the liners you show I'm sure you would have many customers from this forum.

Thank you for any information you can provide,

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
All,

The lining kits are only available for the 159" High Roof with windows in all panels. However customers are purchasing these kits from us even if they have no windows down the sides as they are such awesome panels.

The lining kits come with the following:

- 1 x Drivers Side Wall Panel
- 1 x Passengers Side Wall Panel
- 1 x Ceiling Panel
- 1 x Driver Rear Door Cover (NOTE: Only covers around the window and the top cavity, factory lower panel is left in)
- 1 x Passenger Rear Door Cover (NOTE: Only covers around the window and the top cavity, factory lower panel is left in)
- 1 x Passenger Side Sliding Door Cover (NOTE: Only covers around the window and the top cavity, factory lower panel is left in)
- 1 x Top Cavity Cover (NOTE: Cavity above cab area. This is very easily modified to fit our Rear Heat and A/C kit)
- 1 x Transition Step Cover (NOTE: Covers step between cab and cargo area)

Please contact me at bryndotjonesatfrsgrpdotcom with any questions, quotes etc.

Bryn

·
Registered
98 Posts
I emailed this Bryn guy explaining what particular van I had and that I wanted a delivered price for a panel kit. I got this response...
"Please provide a business address and company name. Kind Regards, Bryn Jones‎".

Either he doesn't sell to individuals or it is a scam of some sort. I did not reply back to him.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I emailed this Bryn guy explaining what particular van I had and that I wanted a delivered price for a panel kit. I got this response...
"Please provide a business address and company name. Kind Regards, Bryn Jones‎".

Either he doesn't sell to individuals or it is a scam of some sort. I did not reply back to him.

Sonicsix. I asked for this information so I could provide you with a quotation. I am not trying to scam anyone. I also ant to make sure we are not quoting to a competitor.

I am legit and look forward to doing business with any one legit.

I admit I may have come across I little blunt.

I trust PromasterForum sees where I am coming from.

Bryn Jones

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Well if you only make one size then I assume you only have one price. Why not quote it here? Let us all know at the same time. As soon as you tell any one of us we are going to post it for others.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
This thread has been a major hijack and the discussion of the liner should get its own Topic as many here will be interested in the liners from this supplier and others who begin to supply them. I suggest bjvanextras post a thread with your products and whatever relevant information you are willing to share. I too feel a forthright price quote will serve you well as I have bought from other posters here who run companies and were not the lowest priced but had served other members well. But its your business do it your way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts