Ram Promaster Forum banner

Maxx air roof fan for my Promaster

4K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  maztek 
#1 ·
I want to add a Maxx air roof fan to my 118 Promaster. Was wondering what model to get?
Thanks,
Ray

#4 ·
#5 ·
For my 136 LR I want 2 MaxxAir fans .. and originally ordered the only 7500's I could find - from Camping World. Be advised they are almost impossible to find (at what might be called a reasonable price).. and it turns out Camping World was lying .. they got to keep my $ for weeks and then told me that what their site indicated was 'in stock' was not and they couldn't tell me when they would be but wanted to keep the $. I cancelled. I now think I am going to go with the slightly less fancy ones - 6200 with thermostat but no remote (esp. since this is a low roof, pretty short PM) .. for about the same price as CW advertised their (non-existent) remote version.

#9 ·
If you windows open or you have some way of creating a flow through then you are fine. Do you have screens on the windows? Are bugs going to come in, etc?

Two fans just allows you to push and pull air through the van which you need to do if you want any sort of reall cooling to occur and to decrease humidity/condensation.

Reactions: Deryn
#11 ·
That works. I'm putting a window that opens on the rear pass side, next to the bed.
I put a fan in the sunroof stamping up front. An open window on one end and a fan exhausting through the roof at the other end should be adequate.
Plus, I personally don't want to mount a fan in the rear and deal with filling the roof rib gaps and all the mess to get it sealed.
Plus, an extra fan might limit solar panel options.
I'm not against anyone else doing 2 fans at all, just stuff to consider.

#13 ·
There's one HUGE advantage to the 7000-7500 series with the remotes. You can adjust them without getting out of bed! Might not sound like a big deal, but overnight in a van the temperature and humidity levels can change drastically. Call me lazy, but at 3am the last thing I want to do is get out of bed to turn the fan on/off/up/down.

#15 ·
Good to know. That means I probably have the connection too.
Oh, and there's nothing lazy about having a remote. Well, maybe it is lazy, but there's nothing wrong with that.
I just didn't get top end model 'cause I'm cheap.

#16 ·
Boiled down . . . . I received the 5301 Maxair oday for my 118" . I'm cheep , don't need fancy ge-gaws in Stumpy . Drew out location for 3" drain/vent hole forward , fan goes rearward . Have a little fan by "kitchen" area .
I will say I expect the Maxxair to pull quite a "vacuum" in the 118" .

#17 ·
Here is what I will say in all seriousness. Think about this long term. The fan is not something you want to replace a year or two down the road. They should be a permanent addition and unless they break, which they shouldn't you should never want to mess with them.

So ask yourself, is there any, any, any at all little reason why you might want a remote?

Yeah I can reach mine pretty easily, but do I really want to climb up on the bed and fumble with the controls or go around back in my bike shoes and slip off the bumper and skin my shin up? Or do you want to be able to press a button and walk away?

If it is in the front, do you want the remote by the bed (like I do) so that when you forget to open the fan cause you have been driving all day and you are tired you do't get up quickly and bash your head and then step on the dogs water bowl when getting down.

Just think long term. A few more dollars right now might seem like a lot, but after a few road trips it might not seem like a bad deal.

We all have different vans and set ups so YMMV.

RNR,

I see you have a 159". There is not really too much to worry about with filling ribs. I want to say it was just at one end and then only building up the wells right where the fan meets the rib. Super easy to do.

#19 ·
Here is what I will say in all seriousness. Think about this long term. The fan is not something you want to replace a year or two down the road. They should be a permanent addition and unless they break, which they shouldn't you should never want to mess with them.

So ask yourself, is there any, any, any at all little reason why you might want a remote?

Yeah I can reach mine pretty easily, but do I really want to climb up on the bed and fumble with the controls or go around back in my bike shoes and slip off the bumper and skin my shin up? Or do you want to be able to press a button and walk away?

If it is in the front, do you want the remote by the bed (like I do) so that when you forget to open the fan cause you have been driving all day and you are tired you do't get up quickly and bash your head and then step on the dogs water bowl when getting down.

Just think long term. A few more dollars right now might seem like a lot, but after a few road trips it might not seem like a bad deal.

We all have different vans and set ups so YMMV.

RNR,

I see you have a 159". There is not really too much to worry about with filling ribs. I want to say it was just at one end and then only building up the wells right where the fan meets the rib. Super easy to do.
That's good advice. I tried to get the remote versions .. and if they are available anywhere again in the near future for the right price, I will go that route .. but with the way things are with China, unless MaxxAir can start manufacturing over here rather quickly that may not be happening any time soon. I can't see paying well over $100 more for each of two fans from the only other source I've found that has them in stock right now.

My plan is to have my bed along the driver's side of the van, not at the back and not really elevated. Plans can change of course so we will see but at least I probably won't be doing anything more dangerous than I would if I get up to go the bathroom.

#18 ·
I have one fixed slider window and the two back windows. I don't want any more for now - unless I get an Arctic Tern window .. which may happen someday but not immediately. I have room on the top of the van for 2 fans and a single 360 panel on a 136. This van will be built in stages so it may be a while before I get the panel and a full lithium battery system. Till then I will use my GZ1000 lithium and a portable panel, and I can also charge it from the engine while I drive.

#21 ·
I didn't realize there was such a shortage right now. I did get a great deal on my 7500. It was cheaper than the 5100 hundred I installed in the back. Got it off the Bay. I just search and there are none to be found.

#22 ·
Ebay scares me. I tried to buy through there but it kept taking all my info incl. cc #, etc. and then saying it was refused. I have no cc debt and loads of room on that card always. Apparently they don't want me as a customer but I'm not so sure about them either. I'd rather buy through a reputable store or preferably the designer/manufacturer direct. Apart from Ebay though the supply seems very short through those sources I would rather buy from.

#24 ·
eBay bought Paypal so you buy using a Paypal account to protect your credit card numbers. I have used eBay for 10 years or more and only had a scam purchase once recently and Paypal restored my money after waiting about 3 weeks for the scam seller to ship. They are a large reputable service that if you buy on the internet is as good as any.

#28 ·
That wired remote looks like the one shown on page 11 of instructions identified as a 6 key wall remote. It specifies it is for models 8700, 8900, 7000, 7500, 8000 and 8500. I am guessing the reason it won't work for other models such as 5100 and others is they have mechanical open/close knobs which have to be rotated by hand. The wired wall model for the 5100 has only on/off and limited speed functions but no open/close function.

Here are the instructions with the various wired wall remotes starting on page 10. I also posted these instructions in another thread specifically asking about the 5100.

#27 ·
With my floorplan, it's relatively easy to move around in the van, plus no kids, pets and no head bump hazards. I'll likely install the wired remote near the bed at some point though.
Not only was/am I shooting for a $2k build budget (might be close), I didn't/don't have as much time as I would like to do the build. So, I'm going for a relatively minimal build while making it a functional road trip vehicle while keeping it a DD and cargo hauler. The extra work and expense of a 2nd fan wasn't a consideration. I debated even having one, to be honest.
Likely scenario is that there will be a 2nd van build down the road that will be a full-time camper and not a DD.
It will probably have more features.

#30 ·
I just found a source (Solartown) for a 7500k (remote/smoke/deluxe) model .. for a lot cheaper than anywhere else right now ($315 each, free shipping). No, they are not in stock .. I could be waiting a month for them (could be less though I am told) but I ordered 2. Called them to figure out if they are legit as I hadn't heard of them before - I got good vibes so crossing my fingers.

#34 ·
I also got my 5100k from Solartown. Ordered 6/8, received 2+ weeks later, brand new, sealed...I wouldn't worry. Check the login page they email you for updates.

As for others' concern about eBay...They honor their guarantee and if I pay with CC, I also have them to dispute charges. If I order stuff that ships from China, I have no qualms ordering thru Amazon or eBay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.