Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to rig up a rack carrier for my PMC to conveniently carry my scooter (278 lbs). I talked to the dealership service department and they told me the trailer hitch receiver they had was only rated to 350 lbs. Class III aftermarket receivers I could find were all maxed at 350 lbs. Checked on the MOPAR site and their information states 500 lbs max for the tongue weight? I found a suitable carrier that's made out of aluminum and weighs only 37 lbs which would bring me under the max, but I know that the carriers don't sit directly on the tongue but a foot or so away which means they are stressing out the tongue even more but I'm not sure by how much.

My questions: does anyone know the "actual" capacity for tongue weight rating on the PMC? Can a custom hitch somehow be designed to increase the rating? And does anyone know what size the MOPAR receiver hitch is? I know it's a class II but wasn't sure if it was 1 1/4" or 2". Thanks!

p.s. before you ream me for wanting to get one of these (I'm aware of the risks involved) know that I will only be driving at speeds under 30 mph while the scooter is attached to the carrier. It will not be used for highway driving or long distances whatsoever.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In case anyone is wondering... the answer to my question is definitively 500 lbs of TWR for the VEHICLE but apparently can vary from vehicle to vehicle. My 2015 PMC Cargo version is 500 lbs. Only the MOPAR hitch receiver is rated for 500 lbs but the aftermarket ones are NOT. Dealer quoted me over $400 to install the hitch which is laughable considering it only takes about 30-60 to install one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts