Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
max tongue weight = 220lbs !!:eek:
That's what the manual says, anybody know of an update to that?

·
Registered
604 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
I downloaded the most recent version of the Owners Manual and t appears that the 220 pour limit is no longer mentioned.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm, on pg 259 of the manual that I just downloaded I see:
220lbs(100kg)Van510lbs(231kg)ChassisCab/CutAway

In ram body builder I see 10%, which would be 510.

·
Super Moderator
427 Posts
I pull a european horse trailer behind my van with a tongue weight of 3-4 percent, which is standard in europe. This differs markedly from the US trailers that usually have 10 percent as the tongue weight.

Perhaps we have a bit of a translation error.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Good question. I wanna put a 250 enduro on a moto rack so ......
Pound for pound that's probably much tougher duty because the weight/mass sits much farther behind receiver. The load's center of gravity, as it affects front-to-back forces, also sits much higher.

·
Registered
533 Posts
You can comfortably place your Enduro on a hitch rack. I've put about 700lbs on the tongue weight and towed many times. I realized how much weight was placed on the tongue of the hitch when I went to weigh the van and the trailer. I redistributed the weight afterwards but there was no effect on the van at all with that much tongue weight. The manufacturer is being very very conservative.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
If you get in an accident being over weight you can be liable.
Having a bike on a hitch is a twisting force that is different than having a trailer weight.
More so when it starts to bounce on rough roads.
A trailer has one main force that is downward. The motorbike rack with the hitch will
have the side to side twisting and up and down twisting.
So in my opinion is the motor bike hitch/rack will have to be less weight.
That is a lighter bike.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Adrian, are you pretty confident that you had 700lbs on the tongue ? That's a pretty good test for the rest of us. :)
I have an email in to Chrysler asking the question and pointing out the inconsistency. I might want to put a 300 lb bike on mine.
I wonder why the chassis cab version gets a510 lb rating?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Yes it was 690lbs to be exact. I weighed the van front wheels first than the whole van and subtracted the front weight for rear weight. I later returned with the trailer and did the same. I placed 1 motorcycle in the Vnose of trailer along with generator and tools. I also had other motorcycles placed slightly forward. I reconfigured the trailer now and have about 400lbs tongue weight.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Our vans are designed to carry approx 4,000lbs of additional weight on board! I know that weight is inside and distributed but still our vans are heavy duty to be able to load 4k lbs. Also our vans have GCVW Rating of 11,500 to 12,500lbs. If our van can do all that im surprised on the minimal tongue weight. My guess is Chrysler will revise to 500lbs tongue, 10% of trailer weight. Someone stated earlier the european translation was overlooked. Also the U.S. vans are rated to carry a higher payload than europes.

MY Curt Hitch says 600lbs tongue weight, 6,000lbs tow. I know thats the hitch rating .

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Our vans are designed to carry approx 4,000lbs of additional weight on board! I know that weight is inside and distributed but still our vans are heavy duty to be able to load 4k lbs. Also our vans have GCVW Rating of 11,500 to 12,500lbs. If our van can do all that im surprised on the minimal tongue weight. My guess is Chrysler will revise to 500lbs tongue, 10% of trailer weight. Someone stated earlier the european translation was overlooked. Also the U.S. vans are rated to carry a higher payload than europes.

MY Curt Hitch says 600lbs tongue weight, 6,000lbs tow. I know thats the hitch rating .
Based on that criteria alone, you'd be able to install a heavy duty receiver designed to handle 3,000 pounds of tongue weight and still not exceed rear axle weight rating, GVWR, or GCWR. Unfortunately these things are unrelated for the most part.

One reason unitized or semi-unitized (versus body on frame) vehicles normally have much lower tow rating is that it's difficult to attach a heavy-duty receiver to what is a little more than sheet metal. The PM frame rails are thin compared to most body-on-frame trucks and SUV frames.

So while I agree with you that a PM is a capable hauler, I personally wouldn't get carried away over-loading the receiver. With enough load, in time there may be metal fatigue that you won't see at first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts