Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I lost several quarts of trans fluid rapidly while driving. The van got parked quickly and will be towed to the dealer in the AM. A quick look under with a flashlight showed red fluid everywhere. I did not put any further effort into it. Anyone have a similar experience?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I have not had this happen to me-first I have heard of this happening at all during all of the reading in this forum. How many miles? Towing? Any warning lights? Curious to know cause(s).

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
When your earlier reports about engine braking and then put it in neutral to gain fuel mileage
then you here "clunks " as you shifted it back in gear. Something happen there.
Sorry to here this, and hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Wonder if a cooler line popped loose or broke....

Axle seal?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks for the concerns, It appears the pump blew. They removed the entire transmission to get to it. They are replacing the torque converter for preventive medicine. I am not sure that was needed but I appreciate the efforts. For Allhandsondeck and those keeping a watchful eye on their own investments, I had only 1,900 light duty, non-towing miles on it. The engine actually stalled in bumper to bumper gridlock on the highway. I had to restart it. I then drove some more with some odd pedal feel. It was apparently losing fluid but I did not know this and what felt like a fuel pump going was actually the trans misbehaving. I got to the off ramp and it became obvious what was happening and that was the end of the ride. The dealer I go to is a high volume place with a solid amount of Promaster experience and they never heard of this happening either. He felt the engine cutting out might have been triggered by transmission operating temp although that was spoken as only a guess.

To Uncubed, I only did the neutral thing once to see what drag I was having at the moment. It was not a technique or habit. That one clunk was ugly but minor and enough for me to not ever do it again. I am most positive that it was as meaningless as a single hard shift. They went over the whole transmission as a result of the mishap and I am really curious to see if it behaves different from my earlier concerns. Maybe it is a blessing in disguise as I really had doubts about this particular gear box from day one? I am not happy at all about this but I still love my Promaster. I hope she loves me back. Thanks again for the feedback gentlemen.

·
Registered
887 Posts
He felt the engine cutting out might have been triggered by transmission operating temp although that was spoken as only a guess.
Yep, that's what happened. It happened to me years ago with a Ram pickup truck. It blew the transmission cooling line (rusted out in 25,000 miles living at the beach). Spewing transmission fluid as I drove on I95. Engine shut itself down. Self preservation programmed into the truck.

They replaced transmission. But then had to go back do torque converter too. You're guys were smart to replace both.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
DavidMFear Yes most likely a blessing in disguise The way it was acting on flat roads (no hills)
after you let off the throttle did not seem right.
Please post with new tranny and your thoughts.:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue

I had my 3500 159 ext gas one week with 500 miles on it when this happened. Discovered by a forklift operator where I was picking up equipment. I left a puddle on the floor. I was able to drive it to the dealer.

They decided to replace the transmission. It has been two weeks. Still waiting. Luckily they have a demonstrator model -with a shelving package in it- that I am driving until the repair is complete.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had my 3500 159 ext gas one week with 500 miles on it when this happened. Discovered by a forklift operator where I was picking up equipment. I left a puddle on the floor. I was able to drive it to the dealer.

They decided to replace the transmission. It has been two weeks. Still waiting. Luckily they have a demonstrator model -with a shelving package in it- that I am driving until the repair is complete.
My dealer in Cleveland OH had this done for me in 3 days. And that was with no advance notice I was bringing it in. They pulled the transmission too. Don't let them drag their feet too much.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Has the dealer informed you of what the specific issues were with the transmission?

I plan on buying a gas Promaster and doing a fair amount of stop and go driving with a load. I have to admit I don't like hearing about multiple transmissions failing this early.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has the dealer informed you of what the specific issues were with the transmission?

I plan on buying a gas Promaster and doing a fair amount of stop and go driving with a load. I have to admit I don't like hearing about multiple transmissions failing this early.
My problem was the pump. I had a very early build date, I think it was 11-13. In retrospect I would have preferred a newer build. My high volume dealer had never heard of such a problem before so that helps my piece of mind. The 100,000 mile warranty helps too. I am not happy but I am not discouraged yet either. When correct, the van is perfect for my needs and expectations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No specifics as to the exact source of the leak. I thought the decision to do a whole transmission was a good one.
I also bought from a large commercial dealership and they also say it's not been a problem. They also use the promaster in their own wholesale parts fleet. As far as delay. I like it. Keeps the miles off my brand new van. Have put 2000 on their loaner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts