2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
I was looking at something like that if my lights start to leak.... I found some really nice LED fixtures in amber and red that would work... I'd need to make the bases in Granite grey for mine!

Good to see the idea from you... thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
And, why does a Promaster have marker lights? The Transit and Sprinter don't...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
10,681 Posts
Hmm, this would seem to indicate that private, personal use vehicles (such as campers) are exempt from a lot of this BS.

§393.1 Scope of the rules in this part.
(a) The rules in this part establish minimum standards for commercial motor vehicles as defined in §390.5 of this title. Only motor vehicles (as defined in §390.5) and combinations of motor vehicles which meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle are subject to the requirements of this part. All requirements that refer to motor vehicles with a GVWR below 4,536 kg (10,001 pounds) are applicable only when the motor vehicle or combination of motor vehicles meets the definition of a commercial motor vehicle.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
That might help out Winnebago but we bought it as an empty van sold as a commercial vehicle so FCA had no choice. Do we?Has my conversion created a non-comercial vehicle out of a commercial one and can I take them off and get my dealer to reprogram the BCM to understand they are gone? Would I then get a body shop to cover the holes and paint the van? The thought makes me slightly ill, I’ll keep them and put in a new bulb when they fail, and ante up the $35 if I break one.

·
Super Moderator
10,681 Posts
Winston "holebegone" in sandstone is another alternative solution. Think outa da box ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Roadtrek takes the clearance lights off the Promaster and puts their own on. They look like what KilWerBzz has done.

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
I don’t know the answer but I came to know width was the issue when I constructed a flat bed trailer from an old mobile home trailer axels and frame, cut down a bit to make an 86 in wide trailer. To inspect it I was required to install a special set of lights on the rear to indicate it was over 80” in width.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/MCL97RPG.html

Here is the law for Tennessee:
https://www.tn.gov/lawsandpolicies/...-reflectors-on-vehicles-having-width-in-exces

Wikipedia says:
Identification lamps[edit]
In the US, vehicles over 2,032 mm (80 inches) wide must be equipped with three amber front and three red rear identification lamps spaced between 6 and 12 inches apart at the center of the front and rear of the vehicle, as high as practicable.[10] The front identification lamps are typically mounted atop the cab of vehicles. The purpose of these lamps is to alert other drivers to the presence of a wide (and usually, tall) vehicle.[101] This type of identification lamp can also be found on road trains in Australia.[citation needed]

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clearance lights are the two side lights the three center lights are marker lights. Any way I passed inspection and now have an official Motor home.
:)

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Just to clarify.

ELECTRONIC CODE OF FEDERAL REGULATIONS https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108

Clearance lamps are lamps which show to the front or rear of the vehicle, mounted on the permanent structure of the vehicle as near as practicable to the upper left and right extreme edges to indicate the overall width and height of the vehicle.

Identification lamps are lamps used in groups of three, in a horizontal row, which show to the front or rear or both, having lamp centers spaced not less than [6 in] 15.2 mm nor more than [12 in] 30.4 mm apart, mounted on the permanent structure as near as practicable to the vertical centerline and the top of the vehicle to identify certain types of vehicles.

Side marker lamps are lamps which show to the side of the vehicle, mounted on the permanent structure of the vehicle as near as practicable to the front and rear edges to indicate the overall length of the vehicle. Additional lamps may also be mounted at intermediate locations on the sides of the vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A slight wander, but has anyone found better looking "low profile" front marker/clearance lights that fit the promaster roofline? And are there any issues with LED marker lights and the CAN bus? I find a bunch of them advertised to fit ford pick up cabs but our roofs may have more curve that will need a different base shape?

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
The CAN Bus will think they are blown as the draw by LEDs is so much lower than the incandescent bulbs they replace. LEDs with a resistor to raise the wattage of the light are generally available and may last longer and be brighter but they don’t save power and you probably don’t care about that anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Has anyone tested? Will the can bus react to these being LED? I'm mainly after the low profile look, the stock lights are major dorky, and figure it will give me an extra 5 MPG.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have 4 incandescent bulbs and one LED. No warning light in the dash about lights. Also one marker was out with no warning on the dash. Did the LED have a resistor I have no clue.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts